F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Roll Reduction: Sway Bars or Damper Upgrades
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #1
E60F30
Enlisted Member
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Roll Reduction: Sway Bars or Damper Upgrades

Hi everyone,

Would like to seek your expertise/thoughts on reducing body roll and improving handling as a whole.

I have done some research and there seems to be conflicting opinions on whether sway bars should be the first or last component of the suspension to be upgraded.

My humble 328i is fitted Bilstein B6 dampers and F8x LCAs. Tyres are Michelin PS4 245/40/18 at 35 psi. I do not drive on the track, only some spirited drives on occasion. She is also my daily driver.

With these changes, the front end feels great, turn in is immediate and body roll isn't nearly as bad on the rear axle. (I understand you need some roll to keep the tyres making contact with the ground)
I plan on doing the VAC tension strut upgrade next.

The rears though are another story.
They do not inspire confidence, especially on high speed corners and low speed tight corners.
The car feels like it rolls, starts gripping and is simply numb thereafter.
It feels like the rear end can't keep up with the front.

I would like to seek your thoughts on upgrading to F+R M140 sway bars or upgrading to coilovers/shocks + springs

Ideally, i would prefer no drop or as minimal a drop possible due to the sheer number of speed bumps and ramps here in Singapore.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
      05-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

I can't touch on the sway's as I haven't done them... But I added dinan shockware (damper tuning), dinan springs and bumpstops to my THP 340i... and it greatly reduced body roll. To the point where I now hear some creaking in the doors. Car is much much more planted now, and cant imagine going back to stock. Just my .02
Appreciate 1
E60F3030.00
      05-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
I can't touch on the sway's as I haven't done them... But I added dinan shockware (damper tuning), dinan springs and bumpstops to my THP 340i... and it greatly reduced body roll. To the point where I now hear some creaking in the doors. Car is much much more planted now, and cant imagine going back to stock. Just my .02
Did you do those upgrades all at the same time or separately? Interested to know which made the bigger difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Did you do those upgrades all at the same time or separately? Interested to know which made the bigger difference.
So ive had each separately. Had the shockware first and it helped with the floatyness when hitting bumps and stuff, but there was still body roll. Had the springs + bumps added and it took away most of the body roll.... then had my DME reset for something, and the shockware was wiped. Was riding around with just the springs + bumps for about 10 days. Was pretty solid, but felt bouncier over bumps.

The two combined really complement eachother well
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #6
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

It'd be wonderful if you could just touch one component and have all the others behave perfectly but alas, that is rarely the case, particularly with suspensions.

An anti-roll bar is both a brilliant idea but somewhat of a pain to deal with depending on what the car is doing. In a turn, the anti-roll bar acts like a spring to pull down the rising side of the car, keeping the car flat. Simple. Easy fix. Great. While driving on straight, flat, road it does nothing. Super. But, roads are not always bump free. In fact, as you go over bumps, the anti-roll bar will slavishy transfer these bumps left and right across the car. Technically this is referred to as SH*TYRIDE. So, to suck up the bumps the anti-roll car can induce, it is attached to the damper, whose very job is to reduce spring-i-ness of suspension's main springs. Change the anti-roll bar, change the workload on the damper. The forums are your friend when it comes to experience on finding decent combos.

Good luck.