F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MOT Suspension Advisory
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

MOT Suspension Advisory

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice on the best course of action.

For a while now, I've know there has been something not right with front suspension. The combination of clipping the odd kerb, endless potholes, a world of speed ramps have made the car a bit of a bone shaker and if i take a bend fast on an uneven surface, I can feel it judder across the road.

My MOT advisory stated:

Offside Front Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))
Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has slight play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
Offside Play in steering rack inner joint

I've hung back on getting the work done for 2 reasons. Since the car is almost on 100k, I've had the opinion that it's just a matter of time before I trade it in for something newer with nice working suspension. Also, a friend who had a garage looked at it and said that the 'play' wasn't that bad and I shouldn't fit the parts from ECP as it would be worse in 6 months with the inferior parts.

As i think the car will be with me for up to another year, I feel i need to fix the problem from a safety and comfort aspect.

Am i right in thinking I should do both sides?
Does anyone have an part numbers or item title and (oem) brand of what I need?
Is there a set that I can buy which includes the bits i need plus maybe springs etc...

I'm sure you can see I know nothing about these parts of the car, so hoping to get the right parts for the car

F30 2012 320d Lux.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Have a look for OEM part numbers on here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

You will need to replace both front shocks. However if I was you I would look to replace all four as the back ones must be in a poor condition by now. You can of course get entire suspension kits with the springs included, but that will be more cost and by the sounds of things you just want to get this repaired and sold.
Appreciate 0