F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Delete thread
Extreme Powerhouse

01-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #45
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicausi View Post
kern417 - what about Dinan elite?
You have to read the Dinan website yourself. You'll constantly read claims that Dinan is approved by BMW or BMW will warranty Dinan parts, but that's not the case. Dinan offers a warranty to cover the gaps that BMW will void if you install Dinan parts. No part of that transaction guarantees BMW will warranty anything on your car with Dinan parts on it.

That being said, Dinan operates just like BMW. If you have a failure, you have to prove that it was caused by the Dinan component. And 9 times out of 10, they will fall back on their low failure rates to say that something else was wrong with your car, they've sold 1000s of piggybacks without an issue, etc.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW F30 View Post
Nope. I just had a low coolant warning once and the guy at the dealer said it was nothing
If BMW chooses to deny warranty coverage for this, at the least, BMW owes you a technical explanation of what happened from their investigation. That is something worth perusing through arbitration, letters, and even potentially legal threats if they don't give you that information.

I would ask about the coolant levels because the intake manifold on the B58 is filled with coolant and these cars have a documented history of loosing coolant. Some are underfilled from the factory, but others we know were consuming coolant in some fashion, whether at the turbo or the motor itself. There have been reports of replaced turbos and one M240 owner just had his B58 motor replaced because of coolant consumption.

A coolant leak in the intake manifold could:

1) Cause hydrolock the motor. This would be the result of a larger leak and would kill the motor immediately. This isn't what happened with your motor.

2) A smaller leak could create potentially cause a misfire and/or worse, wash the cylinder and wreck a piston ring(s). This could cause a misfire and due to reduced compression (leakage).

Also on the 2 series forum, someone just had their VANOs system replaced on their M240 because of misfire issues.

Like others noted, I have a hard time believing your mods were source of the problems. However, BMW does have a lot of lawyers and will usually point their finger at the modifications even if the cause of the failure is a known issue on stock cars.
      01-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #47
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
You have to read the Dinan website yourself. You'll constantly read claims that Dinan is approved by BMW or BMW will warranty Dinan parts, but that's not the case. Dinan offers a warranty to cover the gaps that BMW will void if you install Dinan parts. No part of that transaction guarantees BMW will warranty anything on your car with Dinan parts on it.

That being said, Dinan operates just like BMW. If you have a failure, you have to prove that it was caused by the Dinan component. And 9 times out of 10, they will fall back on their low failure rates to say that something else was wrong with your car, they've sold 1000s of piggybacks without an issue, etc.
Overall, Dinan has a very good reputation of working with the client and BMW to resolve issues.
      01-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #48
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW F30 View Post
Thanks for the reply guys, i guess the question now is... do i take the risk of getting my car flagged by the engineer (but potentially get the engine replaced under warranty) or do i pull the car out and get it fixed at an independent shop?
If you havent replaced that DP, Id do that asap
kern4174445.00
      01-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #49
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
If you havent replaced that DP, Id do that asap
this, but only if the dealer will let you leave it there.

Option A: Swap downpipe/Remove piggyback and leave it at the dealer.

If you can't do that

Option B: Leave it at the dealer and let the field engineer look at it

If they void the warranty

Option C: Buy a motor online either from ebay, a junkyard, or a partout on the forums and take it to an indy shop to get it replaced.

Or if you're feeling lucky, you could pay the dealer to diagnose the issue and then take it to an indy to have the specific component replaced. If it's just a bad bearing, VANOS, etc it may be worth replacing the component instead of the whole block. It all depends on price and your comfort with a shop tearing into a new motor. It can be kind of dicey because little to no shops have dug that deep or have experience tearing down our engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Overall, Dinan has a very good reputation of working with the client and BMW to resolve issues.
if you say so. i have yet to see anyone use the warranty.
Appreciate 1
eluded3005.00
      01-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #50
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

any down pipe could easily be a piece of junk , clog up, hold in extra exhaust heat and start melting stuff in the engine. :-\

Happened on some of the earlier GM LSJ OEM catpipes when I was into that car.

Last edited by zinner; 01-29-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #51
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
The any down pipe could easily be a piece of junk , clog up, hold in extra exhaust heat and start melting stuff in the engine. :-\

Happened on some of the earlier GM LSJ OEM catpipes when I was into that car.
Someone did mention their CG DS had that happen.. I mean it got clogged
but he was also using meth .. dont know if that was a factor
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #52
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Someone did mention their CG DS had that happen.. I mean it got clogged
but he was also using meth .. dont know if that was a factor
Should be pretty easy to pull it off and see the state of the cat matrix, I am sure the dealer will do just that diagnosising. Hopefully if it's fine they won't attribute it to the cause. I don't think meth injection would hurt the cat, it's usually metals in the fuel/oil like zinc or lead that do them in.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #53
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Should be pretty easy to pull it off and see the state of the cat matrix, I am sure the dealer will do just that diagnosising. Hopefully if it's fine they won't attribute it to the cause. I don't think meth injection would hurt the cat, it's usually metals in the fuel/oil like zinc or lead that do them in.
It was iMinLuv

Meth wasn't the direct cause, but by running meth, it allowed him to run more boost. More boost = higher temps, and it melted the cat.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2

Last edited by G.Newt; 01-31-2018 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #54
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:
It was iMinLuv

Meth wasn't the direct cause, but by running meth, it allowed him to runner more boost. More boost = higher temps, and it melted the cat.
A catt that cant handle 19psi is scraaaaap
      01-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #55
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
I'll chime in on this thread because it's filled with excessive misguided information, which is exactly why forums are never the place for appropriate answers but rather are filled with responses from those that are clearly one sided... The OP admittedly said he ran a non emissions legal downpipe(catted or not), to simply add insult to injury he ran a Dinan piggyback tuner which is the WRONG thing to do. The Dinan piggyback was engineered with the OEM catalytic converter in mind, Dinan products are generally speaking designed to optimize performance safely, so in essence what the OP did was counter intuitive. In short I am positive that by adding a catted DP w/ the Dinan piggyback threw off the AFR's/fuel trim because it's more than likely they were working against each other and not with each other. With that in mind it's more than likely that it threw off the firing order of the injectors and ultimately threw off the amount of fuel that combusts in the combustion chamber for cylinder #1(arguably flooding the combustion chamber with excessive fuel which could have compromised that cylinder).

The B58 is a uniquely designed engine, thus far I have not seen any go bad, IMO it's far more advanced compared to it's predecessors(ex: N54/N55). A lot of consumers have to revert back to the age old saying, "you have to pay to play" otherwise why modify your vehicle in hopes that when things go bad that the manufacturer is going to back you? I can personally speak for myself in the past where I've built engines and there have been a few times where the engines I built went south. Never was there a time it crossed my mind to take it to the dealer to have them do warranty repairs because I knowingly invested into my vehicles performance whether it was minor or major, it's irrelevant... We all see threads like this and it's just over flooded with toxic information, like most of you had said, all the OP could do is cross his fingers and hope for the best...
      01-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #56
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
I'll chime in on this thread because it's filled with excessive misguided information, which is exactly why forums are never the place for appropriate answers but rather are filled with responses from those that are clearly one sided... The OP admittedly said he ran a non emissions legal downpipe(catted or not), to simply add insult to injury he ran a Dinan piggyback tuner which is the WRONG thing to do. The Dinan piggyback was engineered with the OEM catalytic converter in mind, Dinan products are generally speaking designed to optimize performance safely, so in essence what the OP did was counter intuitive. In short I am positive that by adding a catted DP w/ the Dinan piggyback threw off the AFR's/fuel trim because it's more than likely they were working against each other and not with each other. With that in mind it's more than likely that it threw off the firing order of the injectors and ultimately threw off the amount of fuel that combusts in the combustion chamber for cylinder #1(arguably flooding the combustion chamber with excessive fuel which could have compromised that cylinder).
You are being the person you hate.

1. A high flow cat will not affect AFR, only emissions. The o2 sensor reads AFR before the cat on a stock downpipe, so catted or not you will get a good reading in the stock location. If anything, the piggyback is what would put a strain on AFR and could cause the fuel system to struggle to keep up (read my previous post, that's my opinion).
2. The piggyback bumps up boost and the car should adjust appropriately. This isn't a subaru. You don't need a tune for every mod you do to keep the car in safe parameters. You can put upgrade intake/exhaust piping on the car without affecting the engine.
3. The fact that you think you can 100% say anything without even seeing the car is part of why I hate dealing with dealerships, and just increases the misguided information on the forum. If they take the engine apart and find a spun bearing, dropped valve, broken tensioner, etc. then it very likely could have nothing to do with the power mods. That's why a good mechanic properly diagnoses an issue before throwing parts at the car to try and fix it.
Appreciate 3
G.Newt807.50
ceedawg467.50
B58togo807.00
      01-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #57
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinLuv View Post
A catt that cant handle 19psi is scraaaaap
Personally, most people complain about the smell of catless, Ive been running catless for about 2 years now and dont smell anything unless im behind the car, it actually doesnt even smell bad, I like the smell

I would say anything over 16psi, you should go catless as the cat will either melt or clog later on, might not be now, but later for sure.
      01-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #58
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
You are being the person you hate.

1. A high flow cat will not affect AFR, only emissions. The o2 sensor reads AFR before the cat on a stock downpipe, so catted or not you will get a good reading in the stock location. If anything, the piggyback is what would put a strain on AFR and could cause the fuel system to struggle to keep up (read my previous post, that's my opinion).
2. The piggyback bumps up boost and the car should adjust appropriately. This isn't a subaru. You don't need a tune for every mod you do to keep the car in safe parameters. You can put upgrade intake/exhaust piping on the car without affecting the engine.
3. The fact that you think you can 100% say anything without even seeing the car is part of why I hate dealing with dealerships, and just increases the misguided information on the forum. If they take the engine apart and find a spun bearing, dropped valve, broken tensioner, etc. then it very likely could have nothing to do with the power mods. That's why a good mechanic properly diagnoses an issue before throwing parts at the car to try and fix it.
https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ies=&mid=340i/

Have yourself a read my friend. I am positive what I was contributing was correct.
      01-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #59
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ies=&mid=340i/

Have yourself a read my friend. I am positive what I was contributing was correct.
Not sure what I'm supposed to be getting from that. It's just a product page for their piggy back. We all know all it does is trick the ecu into modifying it's outputs. A real tune like the MPPSK would modify the car's engine parameters entirely, set different targets, etc. And any tune out there specifically made for a downpipe adds little to no power on top of the tune for a stock downpipe. 95% of your power comes from boost and timing.

If you think that you can't add a downpipe on your car without a specific tune, or that something was wrong because OP was in stock mode, then you don't fully understand how our car's engines and tuning works. Personally i think running our AFRs through the roof is why we are seeing scattered issues, like the melted catalytic converter that was mentioned a few posts back. That should not happen on a properly tuned car. But the downpipe is not what caused the failure. If anything, it would allow the car to breathe better and operate more efficiently.
Appreciate 3
G.Newt807.50
ceedawg467.50
B58togo807.00
      02-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #60
240zman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03' 530 72' 240z 17' 340i

Quote:

The B58 is a uniquely designed engine, thus far I have not seen any go bad, IMO it's far more advanced compared to it's predecessors(ex: N54/N55). A lot of consumers have to revert back to the age old saying, "you have to pay to play" otherwise why modify your vehicle in hopes that when things go bad that the manufacturer is going to back you? I can personally speak for myself in the past where I've built engines and there have been a few times where the engines I built went south. Never was there a time it crossed my mind to take it to the dealer to have them do warranty repairs because I knowingly invested into my vehicles performance whether it was minor or major, it's irrelevant... We all see threads like this and it's just over flooded with toxic information, like most of you had said, all the OP could do is cross his fingers and hope for the best...
I'm guessing you have the car at your dealer
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      02-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #61
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

A downpipe especially a catted downpipe will never make that much of a difference to afr ever, and to the point where the ecu can’t adjust the tiny change from the Downpipe this isn’t a ecu from the e90s and even Ecu’a from the 90s can account for the small changes
Appreciate 2
ceedawg467.50
kern4174445.00
      02-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #62
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:

is this guy serious! What a joke!
B58togo807.00
      02-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #63
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what I'm supposed to be getting from that. It's just a product page for their piggy back. We all know all it does is trick the ecu into modifying it's outputs. A real tune like the MPPSK would modify the car's engine parameters entirely, set different targets, etc. And any tune out there specifically made for a downpipe adds little to no power on top of the tune for a stock downpipe. 95% of your power comes from boost and timing.

If you think that you can't add a downpipe on your car without a specific tune, or that something was wrong because OP was in stock mode, then you don't fully understand how our car's engines and tuning works. Personally i think running our AFRs through the roof is why we are seeing scattered issues, like the melted catalytic converter that was mentioned a few posts back. That should not happen on a properly tuned car. But the downpipe is not what caused the failure. If anything, it would allow the car to breathe better and operate more efficiently.
Thank you Kern,please educate this stealership pawn! He has no clue I have to say
      02-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #64
ceedawg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
A downpipe especially a catted downpipe will never make that much of a difference to afr ever, and to the point where the ecu can’t adjust the tiny change from the Downpipe this isn’t a ecu from the e90s and even Ecu’a from the 90s can account for the small changes
Thanks Antec the BMW pawn has no clue!
      02-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #65
CruzM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 "Velocity Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Thanks Antec the BMW pawn has no clue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Thank you Kern,please educate this stealership pawn! He has no clue I have to say
lmao
2016 328i (sold)
Appreciate 0