F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F31 retrofit nav system - disappointment
Studio RSR

02-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
RensterUK
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d

F31 retrofit nav system - disappointment

Hi all,

I just got my car back from the EGR recall - and while it was there I got them to install the retrofit nav (the glovebox "thing").

So I knew it was never going to match the Pro system. I knew I wouldn't have a Nav option in the main menu. But I *was* led to believe that beyond that, it was basically the same as the business nav. Seemingly, it really, really isn't.

2 days after getting the car back it's gone back in for some bodywork, so I've not had long to play with the nav. However...

From what I can make out, switching between day/night mode is a manual thing only. That is ridiculous! Any modern nav can switch either by a trigger on the headlights, or based on date/time. So I either leave it on day mode (and get dazzled at night) leave it on night mode (which is naff), or faff around with the controls as I drive - arguably dangerous. My wife's mondeo is 12 years old nearly - the nav on that switches automatically!

Not once did it pick up any TMC information. I even set a route up to Glasgow - it found nothing.

Audio alerts are barely comprehensible.

Even just visually it's disappointing - the UI isn't "like for like" with the rest of the iDrive system, and it lacks the... "finesse" of the factory fit business nav

It came with 2017 maps. I assume if nothing else I should be able to get at least 1 free update?!? What about firmware?

Does anyone else have experience of these retrofit units? Any hints on how I could make things more bearable?

If (as I suspect I will) I decide I really have wasted my money - what are my rights as a consumer, given that it's a fully installed purchase? Given that it's BMW, and the cost - surely it should be on a par with most modern navs - even the cheapest Tom Tom?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The really bad news is that it probably is Tom Tom. I believe they are the current supplier of BMW nav.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:58 AM   #3
RensterUK
Rep

I'm sure the maps are reasonably accurate... it's the functionality of the box itself I'm annoyed by.... hoping someone here can advise me of my rights with such a hardwired / installed solution.... I mean obviously a "Halfords bought cigarette lighter" nav unit can just be returned.... but this?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They may take the unit back, but they're not likely to remove it without a hefty charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
RensterUK
Rep

Yeah... their definition of hefty might be interesting!
Appreciate 0