F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > One more Base Stereo Upgrade thread
GetBMWParts

05-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #23
VladiArsenal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

Hi, my location is Bulgaria and I do have the base stereo. I am looking for the the easiest upgrade option and there are several direct Plug and play replacements (eg. Match and Ground Zero), but I was worried if there would be any effect with the stock headunit amplification. I do have the NBT navi pro, which I believe has a slightly higher power output than the navi business one.

Any opinions will be appreciated, especially if someone has tried this.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 06:48 AM   #24
D420
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D

Fantastic thread and really compliments davethefish's thread. I think I will follow what OP has done and go with a 4 channel amp.

Wondering about the crossover. Any advice on good ones to use in a similar setup and where to mount it?

It is too bad there isn't a plug in play powered sub that would fit right under the seat with the only need being to run power to it. All in all the sound of the base stereo is adequate, it just lacks decent bass. I don't need to shake the car with crazy boooooooom, but it would be nice to have it pick up more of the lower frequencies without having to turn the volume up so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #25
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by D420 View Post
Fantastic thread and really compliments davethefish's thread. I think I will follow what OP has done and go with a 4 channel amp.

Wondering about the crossover. Any advice on good ones to use in a similar setup and where to mount it?

It is too bad there isn't a plug in play powered sub that would fit right under the seat with the only need being to run power to it. All in all the sound of the base stereo is adequate, it just lacks decent bass. I don't need to shake the car with crazy boooooooom, but it would be nice to have it pick up more of the lower frequencies without having to turn the volume up so much.
Hi, where would this crossover be used? Most 4 channel amps will have built in filters to low pass the under-seats and high pass the doors. If you plan on adding tweeters then the crossover for those will be left behind the door panels. In order to have truly low frequencies you need a subwoofer in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #26
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Hi, sorry to bump this thread into 2020 but need some advice please. Great write up Simicz!

I have the base audio setup in my F36 GC and want to upgrade the dead sound system to something a little more respectable.

So far;

- Bought pair of Rockford Fosgate subs and replaced the stock speakers
- Recently bought HK tweeters and grills to add to the system
- Bought a LC7i pre-amp to clean up and boost a high level input from subs wiring

Need to;

- Buy an amp (need help on what to go for please)
- Figure out best way to connect tweeters to the mids in the door
- Help on how to change the HU from Base to HiFi in the UK please!

Can you offer any guidance please?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #27
parmar88
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmar88 View Post
Hi, sorry to bump this thread into 2020 but need some advice please. Great write up Simicz!

I have the base audio setup in my F36 GC and want to upgrade the dead sound system to something a little more respectable.

So far;

- Bought pair of Rockford Fosgate subs and replaced the stock speakers
- Recently bought HK tweeters and grills to add to the system
- Bought a LC7i pre-amp to clean up and boost a high level input from subs wiring

Need to;

- Buy an amp (need help on what to go for please)
- Figure out best way to connect tweeters to the mids in the door
- Help on how to change the HU from Base to HiFi in the UK please!

Can you offer any guidance please?

Anyone at all??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #28
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmar88 View Post
Anyone at all??
I'll try:

-If you already have the HK tweeters then try to get second hand HK mids as well, then it is just plug and play to connect them as long as your tweeters have the original connectors.

-Head unit output can be coded with Bimmercode, consider purchasing that and adapters so you can code it yourself.

-Amp depends on if you want any DSP capabilities, how much power, will you also run rear speakers with it, etc. Also take into account the impedance of your underseat woofers. If you like to tweak DSP settings then for example Audison Prima series is good for that but since you already have the LC7i you don't need some of the features.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #29
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

You can reference this post for the equipment list. Should be quite similar.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692988
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #30
RokasLTU
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Volvo V50, BMW 318d

Hello,

What do you think would be a better upgrade to a base stereo:

1) some aftermarket plug and play component speakers (like Helix Match MS 42C-BMW.2)

2) or original BMW HiFi sound system?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Electronics for sure. Contrary to what the advertising says the original BMW speakers are pretty good, and there's no such thing as magic speakers that will instantly make the base stereo better, nor the hi-fi or H-K for that matter.
Even the hi-fi and H-K amps are nothing special, as neither has a really good DSP/EQ. The only reason to go with them is to integrate them with the iDrive. This thread shows an alternate electronics option:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475424
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:04 AM   #32
Kiwi328i
Rep
Drives: F31 328i Luxury Line

A good find

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicz View Post
Parts list:

- counterpart for the under seat bass speaker connector: 61132360044 - no need to order pins, as they come with the connector - at least in my case, where I even got 2 plates each with 5 pins in 2 different sizes - so 4 plates (20 pins) in total (at least something for that price - they are about 25 usd each) - you will need 2 of them

- counterparts for the door speaker connectors - only needed if you are replacing speakers as well, and if you do not want to cut any wires, order 2 of these: 61138373583, plus 4 pins (2 for each connector) 61131393723

- if you are not upgrading your speakers (or at least not the under seat bass speakers) you can order the connector 61132359996, pins should come with it, this will allow you to connect the bass cable directly to the original connector on the speaker, instead of the uglier faston connectors

- if you are lucky and have a spare populated slot on the distribution box, order either 61136920092 (for 2,5-4mm cable) or 61136920094 (for thicker 6-10mm2 cables) and the plastic cover 61136925176 - but doublecheck, I had 3 spare slots, but none of them was populated

- if you want to go the extra mile and have only the less-populater distribution box, you can order the full one and replace it: part number: 61149225022

- you'll have to remove your deep tray on the left trim (as there will be an amp under it), you can replace it with this shallow cover: 51477245912

- plus, if you are about to update the speakers as well, order the door frames of your choice: 51337323507 & 51337323508 for the non-branded ones, there are also some with the Harman Kardon logo.

- 22-25 meters of 1,5mm speaker cable

- 2 rca connectors (to connect on the input cables at the amp)

Given that TechnicPNP won't ship to NZ , or AU we tried to get a kit to the UK...he then refunded - OUT of stock.

So.....we went on a mission...look what we found

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3270...d=2JO8c6oG8CTJ

Easy way to build a look for a fraction of the cost
Appreciate 0