F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 ebay headlights
ARMA SPEED

01-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #45
F30sam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i XDrive

I bought these and installed them on my car. The Depo were out of stock everywhere and I kinda liked the style. I also upgraded the headlight, turn signal and fog lights to led bulbs from Xenonhids.com. So far no problems. I've still gotta get the bulb check coded so the lights stop flickering when I first start it up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      01-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #46
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30sam View Post
I bought these and installed them on my car. The Depo were out of stock everywhere and I kinda liked the style. I also upgraded the headlight, turn signal and fog lights to led bulbs from Xenonhids.com. So far no problems. I've still gotta get the bulb check coded so the lights stop flickering when I first start it up.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1385799
      01-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #47
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Got the link to the led bulbs for the headlights? One of the other posts said the ones from Amazon were too big to fit due to changes in the housing to accommodate the DRLs so I'm trying to find ones that are known to work in this particular housing. Also, I assume 4 bulbs total for headlights, for high/low beams on each side?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #48
F30sam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

https://www.xenonhids.com/bmw/2014/320i-xdrive.html
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #49
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. A bit pricey at $110 x2 for high/low beams. Hoping that there are ones on Amazon that will fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #50
F30sam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've had them for over a year with no issues and I know the fit inside both the OEM headlights and these specific headlights I purchased . I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for ". The cheap LED bulbs don't last long and you end up buying another set and wasting your time replacing what you should've bought correctly the first time. I even bought a set for my wife's car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:06 AM   #51
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

oh shiet new f30 lci headlight for halogen models
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post22670146
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #52
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Is the gap of the bumper messed up in the middle? I installed some aftermarket headlights in my car and i couldn't get the gap right no mater how i put the bumper on/ adjusted the headlights. And it looks like we have the same bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikation View Post
I finally installed these headlights on Saturday and love them. The LED halos are super bright. The only drawback is that I originally purchased LED headlight bulbs with the fans built into the bulbs and this housing does not have as much space as the stock OEM halogen lights do for clearance. I am going to have to return my LED bulbs and go with HID's so I can at least install the ballast in a clean way without having to cut into the back seal cover of the headlights.

Right now I am just using my Philips - Diamond Vision H7 bulbs for the time being, until I decide which HID's to purchase. The projectors do make it 100% better than the OEM headlights as far as driving at night, but I know HID's will be best.

I took some photos of the headlights with my phone, so pardon the quality but I know a lot of members here want to see what they look like..

I got the black housing lights, FYI.

To those who are wondering if you need to code the car or not with these lights, I am sorry I cannot help because I had coded my car prior to the install when I had LED DRL, park lights and fog lights installed last year. So, I'm not sure if it will throw an error or not.

I hope this helps anyone who is curious about these lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #53
recromed
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My bumper gap matches up the same as before. I did spend some time getting it that way, the foam 5 mph black crush bumper was mis-aligned for me. After I figured that out it fit like a glove.

Last edited by recromed; 01-22-2018 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:20 PM   #54
recromed
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Went the black housing and Morimoto 55w 5500k HIDs.
On for about three months- no issues and have had 100 degree plus days, 35 degree nights and a week of downpours.

Coded out hot and cold checks as well as the orange corner lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
scostu1623.00
smallba73.00
6ixf300.00
      01-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #55
brh189
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #56
Pich75
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, mineral grey

They look great! The black ones on a white car is a good combo. I plan on getting the silver ones for my mineral grey. Hope they'll look as good.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #57
rexklei91
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Thumbs up

Did you bought this one? https://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-Bi-Xenon-5500K-HID-Bulbs/dp/B074HCH79N/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518472184&sr= 1-1&keywords=Morimoto+HID+h7+55w+5500k

As for the installation, did you need to drill the dust cover? Where did you put the condenser (I'm not sure if I called it right but I mean the little box connected to the bulb)? Also what did you used for coding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recromed View Post
On for about three months- no issues and have had 100 degree plus days, 35 degree nights and a week of downpours.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #58
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexklei91 View Post
Did you bought this one? https://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-Bi-Xenon-5500K-HID-Bulbs/dp/B074HCH79N/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518472184&sr= 1-1&keywords=Morimoto+HID+h7+55w+5500k

As for the installation, did you need to drill the dust cover? Where did you put the condenser (I'm not sure if I called it right but I mean the little box connected to the bulb)? Also what did you used for coding?
Not the person you quoted, but you can drill through the back especially if they provide a rubber grommet. You can seal it with a high heat silicone. Mounted the ballasts (boxes) on top.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #59
6ixf30
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Quote:
Just ordered a set for myself, always hated the halogen headlights.

A few questions:
1. Were these direct plug and play?
2. Did you run into and unexpected problems/ foresee any quality issues?
3. Why have you chosen to go with HID bulbs over LED bulbs as a halogen replacement?

Thanks for the post! They look pretty nice on your ride.
The only drawback is that I originally purchased LED headlight bulbs with the fans built into the bulbs and this housing does not have as much space as the stock OEM halogen lights do for clearance. Basically the new LED bulbs with the fans were too large for the back seal to close. For reference, I purchased these LED bulbs off Amazon so you can see what I am talking about with the size of the bulbs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6NZ6MK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as quality goes, it was really great quality. Everything fit perfectly, everything lined up on the bumper and grill. The lights are super bright so there is a little light pollution on the inside of the headlight that you may need to either cover/tape off the top of the headlight to be completely dark. You can only see it if you are looking through the space in between where the hood and grill cover meet. It is very unnoticeable, but if I am critiquing, that would be my only thing I can point out aside from the headlight bulb housing space. That is just a design thing because of the space needed for the led halos and projectors, it takes up more space than the OEM halogen housing.
Thanks for the pictures and info your putting out very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #60
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The only drawback is that I originally purchased LED headlight bulbs with the fans built into the bulbs and this housing does not have as much space as the stock OEM halogen lights do for clearance. Basically the new LED bulbs with the fans were too large for the back seal to close. For reference, I purchased these LED bulbs off Amazon so you can see what I am talking about with the size of the bulbs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixf30 View Post
Thanks for the pictures and info your putting out very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoK View Post
The pictures in my post are with the 35w ballast. I'll post pictures with the 55w ballast soon.

Just wanted to update you guys after all this info you guys gave me. I originally was going to try just living with the OEM halogens and accept the poverty package look but I nearly veered off a curve after not seeing a massive pothole in heavy rain with maybe half a car length of visibility. Purchased the new set of headlights without the HID from PTL after they got stock back, after what KosmoK said about the 55w ballast being so much better and I rather trust an Amazon brand with easy return and thousands of reviews than a no-name brand PTL had. The DRLs are extremely bright but unfortunately that Christmas tree/connect-the-dots effect is real. My buddy says it reminds him of the old R8's.

However, the new headlights explicitly stated no HID bulbs with two stickers, so I was forced to go LED only. Not sure if they meant the wires are not hooked up to ballasts and thus won't turn on an HID or if HIDs are too hot to run inside. After talking to anikation , I measured out the size of all the H7 LED bulbs on Amazon by counting the pixels with the H7 base as reference point and got within 1mm of actual. Made a few cardboard cutouts to test fitment. The only options that fit are the NINEO, Auxbeam F-16, and Hikari. They fit both the high and low beams, but the high beam cover is <1cm away from the back of the fan and instructions say 3-4cm space for cooling so don't expect a long bulb life if you run high beam a lot.

Auxbeam was OOS. NINEO bulbs were bright and had a lot of glare from the blue-white light but the beam pattern was horrible and 90% of the light was being dumped in the 10 feet in front of my car and I couldn't see anything further away. I adjusted the beams up but then the cutoff was well above the roofline of incoming cars and it still somehow seemed dim and nowhere near my E90 Xenons. Ended up getting the HIKARI 12000LM ones at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B5NXPY/ . Most of the light is concentrated forward so long distance visibility is great, definitely brighter than the BMW OEM Xenons on my E90. There is a small issue where it seems like the focusing of light forward causes a weird uneven distribution in front of the car. It basically looks like my headlights are a bit dirty and uneven in certain areas. In attached picture, you see the NINEO one actually has a dim spot in the dead center but has even peripheral lighting, while the HIKARI has uneven peripheral light distribution but great long range visibility.

Overall my headlights are objectively 8.5x brighter, visibility is at least 10x further, and my car's luxury package isn't being dragged down by the poverty package headlights.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #61
rmeyer4050
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line Man

Nicely done anikation! That was exactly what I needed to make my decision. I have a black/sport line and was wondering what the black eye-lid etc. would look like.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #62
tringuyen305
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:

Were your orange corner lights turned on the same time constantly with other lights before you coded it? Did it happen with the 35w ballast? How did you code the orange corner lights to have it turned off? Did you install relay harness? The one connected directly to the battery to avoid the factory wiring from burning out in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #63
shadowx360
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tringuyen305 View Post
Were your orange corner lights turned on the same time constantly with other lights before you coded it? Did it happen with the 35w ballast? How did you code the orange corner lights to have it turned off? Did you install relay harness? The one connected directly to the battery to avoid the factory wiring from burning out in the long run.
I have the chrome ones and the cornering lights were always on when the headlights turn on, ballast wattage has no relevance. I swapped my cornering lights for LEDs so they flickered since they couldn’t be dimmed and I ended up just coding them out. Factory halogens are 55W so not sure why factory wiring would burn out if the ballasts are rated for the same. None of the HID kits came with relays.

Last edited by shadowx360; 05-04-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #64
kokoci
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012 3.16i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
Anybody bought these before? For halogen headlights thanks

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Black-F32-Sty...257Ciid%253A22

There are no posts to Turkey
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #65
kokoci
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012 3.16i

How can I have this product?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #66
brandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowx360 View Post
I have the chrome ones and the cornering lights were always on when the headlights turn on, ballast wattage has no relevance. I swapped my cornering lights for LEDs so they flickered since they couldn’t be dimmed and I ended up just coding them out. Factory halogens are 55W so not sure why factory wiring would burn out if the ballasts are rated for the same. None of the HID kits came with relays.
Do you have a link on the headlights that you purchased? Also do you have any daylight pics of your headlights as I see that you have the chrome housing. The other pics I have seen are of the black housing
Appreciate 0