F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 318d loaner observations plus business Nav
ARMA SPEED

09-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

318d loaner observations plus business Nav

Hi all,

As I said in another post, I currently have a 2013 318d as a loaner. This car is reasonably new, 2500 km/h on the clock and I though others may be interested in my observations and thoughts, coming from a 2008 135i m-sport.

The NBT (an assumption I'm making, but it fits) system is a BIG improvement over the older CIC system that I have been used to over the last 5 years. The graphics are far better, the system is far quicker (no more waiting a few mins for IDrive to warm up) and generally it's improved.

The additional IDrive buttons are a good addition, but I do wish they hadn't got rid of the long pushes on to the L, R, U or of the control knob as short cuts, but I guess I'll get to remember which buttons where eventually :-)

On to the Nav improvements - Some things are easier, a lot are better and some are harder (trying to use the Interactive map,to select a destination, for example). The readout of street names is great, the more verbal guidance is good too. It took a while to work out how to get the arrow guidechp on the screen (I think it should be on by default) and the lane guidance is good too. I also like that it finally tells you what side of the street your destination is on :-).

I do think that this system is more complex than the other, so god knows how the "can't figure out IDrive" brigade will get on. I'll get the hang of it, and I like to fiddle and go into every menu, but that's me :-)

Cruise Control: I like the orange 'bug' when it's set, but off and the green 'bug' when it's active. I prefer the old, temperate stick for it though, rather than being on the steering wheel, but I understand I'm probably alone there.

Sound System: The basic sound system is crap. No other way to describe it. It's terrible. It sounds like there's one speaker down near my feet. Oh, there is.

ASS: I've tried to like this, really - but it activates too damned readily, even when behind a couple of cars at a stop sign. It should be adjustable, like 'immediate', or variable, say 3s, 5s, 10s for example.

General driving performance: the car feels like 3 cars on one. One for Nana (Eco Pro), one for my Uncle (Comfort) and one for me (Sport). The difference between the 3 really is quite amazing.

The diesel is also better than I expected, but it's fairly noisy which would drive me mad.

Random:

It took me ages to work out how to make a call to other than my last called numbers, which come up on the black panel display when you push the Tel symbol on the steering wheel. Ended up being the option option :-)

I miss not having the volume on the left and the next/prev track, it appears you can only move or next or prev track on the steering wheel control and using the black panel screen again, but I'm not sure on that.

Finally, I am still getting used to driving a car that doesn't drink fuel. 6L/100km is insane :-)
      09-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Agree with pretty much all points, except the cruise control, its quite convienient once you get used to it
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Thanks SJ00 - it's not that I DISLIKE it on the steering wheel, just that I preferred having the next track advance, backwards on it too :-) Thanks for your feedback though (surprised there wasn't more, but you get that)
      09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
ECHO
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 CP AY

Garage List
2013 F30  [0.00]
2017 F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Thanks SJ00 - it's not that I DISLIKE it on the steering wheel, just that I preferred having the next track advance, backwards on it too :-) Thanks for your feedback though (surprised there wasn't more, but you get that)
You don't need those buttons on the wheel anymore, Simon. On your car, you will scroll through the list visually. Say you have music from your iPod playing: Media>external devices>iPod name>Playlist. With your right thumb, depress the small scroll wheel on the right steering wheel spoke, the song list appears in the HUD, and you scroll up or down the list. To select a song, scroll to the desired song, then depress the thumb wheel. You can also scroll through songs and playlists on the screen using the iDrive controller, but I find this too distracting when driving. Am also pretty sure that you can use voice control, but I haven't proven this.

Enjoy,

Edward
Appreciate 0