F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bm3 transmission flash
Extreme Powerhouse

02-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #67
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

bringing an old thread back to life. Recently flashed the TCU tune onto the car, been about 2 weeks now.

Very happy with it in sport mode, but in comfort mode it seems to leave the engine begging for more power pretty frequently; i.e. I'll find myself with less than 1,000 RPMs when I try to accelerate and the car starts chugging pretty hard. If I apply a decent amount of pedal it will downshift but kinda weird to me that it leaves me SO power starved at times. Mostly around 30-35 mph, feels like its in 8th gear or something.

Haven't tried some of the suggestions found in this thread yet though, will try those out this evening to see if it smooths it out some.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #68
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
bringing an old thread back to life. Recently flashed the TCU tune onto the car, been about 2 weeks now.

Very happy with it in sport mode, but in comfort mode it seems to leave the engine begging for more power pretty frequently; i.e. I'll find myself with less than 1,000 RPMs when I try to accelerate and the car starts chugging pretty hard. If I apply a decent amount of pedal it will downshift but kinda weird to me that it leaves me SO power starved at times. Mostly around 30-35 mph, feels like its in 8th gear or something.

Haven't tried some of the suggestions found in this thread yet though, will try those out this evening to see if it smooths it out some.
Recently flashed the tranny aswell, same observation. I often go manual so its not as big of an issue though.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #69
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post

I did a thread on this a while back. Not much feedback from many others but a couple others have the same problem. One person worked with PTF to change the tune to not kick in until certain RPM range.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774745

I only drive in comfort with sport trans mode in the city. PTF wanted a datalog at high speeds which I never got around to doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #70
SFV818
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i - BM3 Stage 2 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF30N26 View Post
I did a thread on this a while back. Not much feedback from many others but a couple others have the same problem. One person worked with PTF to change the tune to not kick in until certain RPM range.

I only drive in comfort with sport trans mode in the city. PTF wanted a datalog at high speeds which I never got around to doing.
I’m flashing BM3 stage 2 91 soon... should I not flash the transmission as well? I drive in comfort mode often so I don’t want to make the car undrivabale in this mode and need to be in sport 24/7.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #71
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV818 View Post
Quote:

I’m flashing BM3 stage 2 91 soon... should I not flash the transmission as well? I drive in comfort mode often so I don’t want to make the car undrivabale in this mode and need to be in sport 24/7.
Not a concern. Just flash the transmission tune. It makes everything better
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #72
SFV818
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm flashing BM3 stage 2 91 soon... should I not flash the transmission as well? I drive in comfort mode often so I don't want to make the car undrivabale in this mode and need to be in sport 24/7.
Ok but what is this "chugging" in comfort mode people keep talking about on the forums?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #73
Axetivo
Rep
Drives: 120i B48

I had the same problem even with stock gearbox flash. In comfort it cruises at 1k rpm which is way too low for my liking and preferred the sport button mapping but I didnt want the burbles. On shift map editor I cranked 3rd to 8th to 40% and 4th to 50% and it wont go below 1600rpm now downshifts the same from 3rd to 8th around 35-40%
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #74
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1774745

I'm flashing BM3 stage 2 91 soon... should I not flash the transmission as well? I drive in comfort mode often so I don't want to make the car undrivabale in this mode and need to be in sport 24/7.
Ok but what is this "chugging" in comfort mode people keep talking about on the forums?
I have no idea. I've been running the BootMod3 transmission tune for well over a year. It's smooth in all modes for me.

Right before it was released, I was investigating various gas pedal enhancements to get rid of pedal delay and increase responsiveness. But the transmission tune seemed to fine tune pedal response as well. It's enjoyable to drive!

Just flash it. Try it out. If you find issues it's easy enough to remove.
Appreciate 1
SFV8187.50
      03-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #75
SFV818
Private
Rep

gotcha but ive also read issues where people encounter drivetrain malfunctions when flashing back to "stock" transmission. I'm new to this so I will probably hold off on the transmission flash to see if I am happy with stage 2 on its own first. I do a lot of lowspeed, city driving and don't want to ruin the car for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #76
Phaux
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320iXdrive F30 2014 N20

BM3 transmission flash for 2014 320I xDrive N20 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_F30 View Post
Yes this happened to me. I thought the trans flash just turned manual mode into a true manual mode.

Had the same problem happen to me. Correct me if I am wrong but the transmission flash was meant for DCT so the shifts are all gonna be wrong on the n20's. Had to flash mine back to normal cause it felt so terrible. Even in Automatic sports mode the car struggled to shift out of 1st gear. It felt like my car was going to break to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 06:45 PM   #77
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaux View Post
Had the same problem happen to me. Correct me if I am wrong but the transmission flash was meant for DCT so the shifts are all gonna be wrong on the n20's. Had to flash mine back to normal cause it felt so terrible. Even in Automatic sports mode the car struggled to shift out of 1st gear. It felt like my car was going to break to be honest.
Tcu tune is based on the n55 m235i. That's why the tune lugs on a n2x.

Pick up xhp. Worth the money
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 12:46 PM   #78
drapzzy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
it definitely does shift better, but only in sport, comfort still feels sluggish and there is a weird connecting shift wheel when shifting on low throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #79
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Update

I just flashed and updated version of my ots map(I know it's old) just didn't have time to do it. Well the TC for some reason got reverted back to stock I noticed that the burble is gone 😂. Then I flash back the Transmission and it came back.

Anyway I have been driving on stock Transmission and notice it's a lot better driving on comfort mode. I think I'll keep it stock for now. I feel like I might end up with better mpg too so far .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:30 AM   #80
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Update

I just flashed and updated version of my ots map(I know it's old) just didn't have time to do it. Well the TC for some reason got reverted back to stock I noticed that the burble is gone 😂. Then I flash back the Transmission and it came back.

Anyway I have been driving on stock Transmission and notice it's a lot better driving on comfort mode. I think I'll keep it stock for now. I feel like I might end up with better mpg too so far .

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 11:07 PM   #81
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Update

Another update:

It's been just a little more than a month now that I went back to stock Transmission on my N26 428i. For daily driving, the stock programming really alot smoother for daily driving and guess what got barely better mpg (.5 to 1 mpg). Also while driving my friends F30 N55, I notice the shift point between the stock N26 and BM3 TF is not the same. The BM3 flash is more closer to my friends N55. I drove the car in manual all the time I didn't have time to notice it.

Anyway it's been month driving a sluggish transmission on BM3 stage 1, I decided to take the plunge and get a xHP TF. I currently been driving with xHP stage 3 for about a week now. The behavior is night and day. I love it and I recommend it 100%. It make the car better. The car can cruise at 8th gear on sport mode and better yet preliminary mpg calculation with 200 miles traveled between fill up driving 100% city street went up from 16- 19 mpg.....wierd because I'm on testing phase means I keep mashing the pedal to get a smile. 3 mpg more....I gotta calculate again next time I fill up.

I recommend xHP for DD....such an improvement over stock and you can customize some more.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #82
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Quote:
Another update:

It's been just a little more than a month now that I went back to stock Transmission on my N26 428i. For daily driving, the stock programming really alot smoother for daily driving and guess what got barely better mpg (.5 to 1 mpg). Also while driving my friends F30 N55, I notice the shift point between the stock N26 and BM3 TF is not the same. The BM3 flash is more closer to my friends N55. I drove the car in manual all the time I didn't have time to notice it.

Anyway it's been month driving a sluggish transmission on BM3 stage 1, I decided to take the plunge and get a xHP TF. I currently been driving with xHP stage 3 for about a week now. The behavior is night and day. I love it and I recommend it 100%. It make the car better. The car can cruise at 8th gear on sport mode and better yet preliminary mpg calculation with 200 miles traveled between fill up driving 100% city street went up from 16- 19 mpg.....wierd because I'm on testing phase means I keep mashing the pedal to get a smile. 3 mpg more....I gotta calculate again next time I fill up.

I recommend xHP for DD....such an improvement over stock and you can customize some more.
From stock to Stage 3 OTS xHP, it totally changed the driving experience for me. I use the stage 3 OTS and the Sport+ shifting is so aggressive you can literally "bang" through the gears.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 07:57 PM   #83
Yamm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Post N20 BM3

Hey everyone, I just bought the BM3 for my 320i n20 engine and I am stock so I went stage one. for reliability purposes what's the best burble settings to run while getting some pops but not damaging the catalytic converter since it's stock? thanks

also does the transmission flash help the longevity of the transmission or does it have drawbacks?

Last edited by Yamm; 12-26-2023 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: missing information
Appreciate 0