F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Firearms
GetBMWParts

05-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #6007
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
The 2nd amendment was written over 200 years ago due to "the lingering resentment over the widespread efforts of the British to confiscate the colonists' firearms at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War." (source Wikipedia)

Honestly - does anyone here seriously feel that at some point in their life they'll need to need to take up arms against a foreign invader?? Tell me why an individual really needs to be able to own gun. Home invasion? A baseball bat will do. Protect yourself at a shootout in the Walmart parking lot? There wouldn't be a shootout if individuals weren't allowed to own guns.

It's completely dumbfounding how selfish so many conservatives are because they prioritize their individual 'rights' above the greater good. Above the safety of innocent children.

Society is about compromise. Everyone needs to give a little to make things work and make things better for all. No one should expect to get what they want 100% of the time.
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 3
LBBF87525.50
      05-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #6008
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Careful, its getting political which the mods will end.

Anyway, went and put some rounds downrange with my Armalite Rifle today. Yep, doesn't stand for Assault Rifle.
Attached Images

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 4
      05-27-2022, 05:53 PM   #6009
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
So what's your stance on expanded background checks and a higher minimum age?
Pro gun here. Own multiple firearms. That being said, it is way too easy to purchase a gun. We need:

Mandatory training, written, and firing tests. If you’re not accurate, you shouldn’t own one;
Doctor’s note of mental health check;
Waiting period minimum of 30 days; and,
Extensive background check even for private sales.

That’s just a start. It bothers me that there’s more paperwork to purchase a car than a firearm.
Appreciate 8
Sedan_Clan25089.50
LBBF87525.50
tcphoto3535.50
mc-m3213.00
Dang3r12512.00
      05-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #6010
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Quote:
Pro gun here. Own multiple firearms. That being said, it is way too easy to purchase a gun. We need:

Mandatory training, written, and firing tests. If you're not accurate, you shouldn't own one;
Doctor's note of mental health check;
Waiting period minimum of 30 days; and,
Extensive background check even for private sales.

That's just a start. It bothers me that there's more paperwork to purchase a car than a firearm.
How much more difficult does it need to be? In California - one of the most anti-2A states in the union - you have to pass a written test and complete a background check with the DOJ. That is reasonable. The second amendment isn't a right given with contingencies (…mandatory training, accuracy, etc.). The onus is on the owner, just like everything else that requires proficiency to be good at. We already have background checks for private sales here and we already have waiting periods (…Why the arbitrary 30 day suggestion? What makes 30 days any better than 10 days?). Mental health is an issue, but now you're sliding down a slippery slope when you start mandating medical records. You start giving the government that level of control and it won't be long before it's infringing on areas of your life that it wasn't intended to.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 06:26 PM   #6011
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjonesBT33 View Post
The 2nd amendment was written over 200 years ago due to "the lingering resentment over the widespread efforts of the British to confiscate the colonists' firearms at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War." (source Wikipedia)

Honestly - does anyone here seriously feel that at some point in their life they'll need to need to take up arms against a foreign invader?? Tell me why an individual really needs to be able to own gun. Home invasion? A baseball bat will do. Protect yourself at a shootout in the Walmart parking lot? There wouldn't be a shootout if individuals weren't allowed to own guns.

It's completely dumbfounding how selfish so many conservatives are because they prioritize their individual 'rights' above the greater good. Above the safety of innocent children.

Society is about compromise. Everyone needs to give a little to make things work and make things better for all. No one should expect to get what they want 100% of the time.
Ask the citizens of Australia or Cuba that question. I'm sure you'd get a mouthful. The second amendment was written for BOTH foreign AND domestic invaders (…which could be an assault from your own government). There's a reason the U.S. is the last true free society, and that's because, as a people, we have a means of defense.

You are naive as hell if you think a baseball bat is going to do anything for you. It's apparent you are anti-2A, but this country was founded using firearms. It's engrained in the culture of this country.

….and stop blaming guns and gun owners for that tragedy in Texas. Disgusting!
Appreciate 4
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #6012
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi90TT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
t are suitable for game hunting and target practice.
The intent of the 2nd Amendment is not game hunting and target practice.
This isn't an issue of age. Age, in and of itself, does not necessarily coincide with being more or less responsible. Training, education, etc. have far more to do with that than age, and training/education begins in the home. How much more expanded would you like the background check to be? Serious question.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #6013
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am going to off topic this thread for a brief moment because I am genuinely curious how us gun owners are felling about expanded background checks, and raising the minimum age to purchase a fire arm? It's sad that it takes horrific events for us to consider these changes, but I for one really can't stand thinking about little kids being gunned down. Literally gives me chills.

As some background, I am a new Texan, firearms owner, including AR-15s, and am in support of expanded background checks and a higher minimum age to purchase a firearm.

According to NBC I am not alone, in fact the majority, but am never really sure if I can trust those polls.

What are your opinions?

PS - My favorite gun to shoot is my 6.5 Ruger Precision Rifle

As to assault rifles, I don't see the need. There are plenty of non-assault firearms on the market that are suitable for game hunting and target practice.
"Assault rifle" is a misnomer used by the anti-gun crowd. AR-15's aren't assault rifles. Arguably, it is easier to be accurate and efficient with an AR-15 than it is a semi-automatic handgun.
Appreciate 6
Dpc2u11503.00
Mandi90TT2712.00
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #6014
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am going to off topic this thread for a brief moment because I am genuinely curious how us gun owners are felling about expanded background checks, and raising the minimum age to purchase a fire arm? It's sad that it takes horrific events for us to consider these changes, but I for one really can't stand thinking about little kids being gunned down. Literally gives me chills.

As some background, I am a new Texan, firearms owner, including AR-15s, and am in support of expanded background checks and a higher minimum age to purchase a firearm.

According to NBC I am not alone, in fact the majority, but am never really sure if I can trust those polls.

What are your opinions?

As to assault rifles, I don't see the need. There are plenty of non-assault firearms on the market that are suitable for game hunting and target practice.
Assault rifles is a misnomer used by the anti-gun crowd. AR-15's aren't assault rifles. Arguably, it is easier to be accurate and efficient with an AR-15 than it is a semi-automatic handgun.
It's a really good question, but also a tough one. You previous comment about medical records makes sense, but how else are we supposed to keep up with someone's mental health?

I liked the way NJ went about it. Two references, about a 60 day waiting period, and all of the applications for FIDs (what you need to buy any gun) is reviewed by your local police department.

Not much digs into your mental health, but a standardized psych evaluation by your doctor might suffice?

That still does leave a blind spot for people who deteriorate mentally though it does seem that these people who carry out these attacks go on a buying spree right before the attacks…so the above could work.

The reality is as someone else pointed out before, someone is going to like the changes, and someone else will not. However it seems the majority are ready for serious changes.

In regards to age however, most of these mass shooters seem to be between 18-21, agreed it's not exclusive, but it can't hurt to wait for peoples brains to be completely developed can it?
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #6015
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How much more difficult does it need to be? In California - one of the most anti-2A states in the union - you have to pass a written test and complete a background check with the DOJ. That is reasonable. The second amendment isn't a right given with contingencies (…mandatory training, accuracy, etc.). The onus is on the owner, just like everything else that requires proficiency to be good at. We already have background checks for private sales here and we already have waiting periods (…Why the arbitrary 30 day suggestion? What makes 30 days any better than 10 days?). Mental health is an issue, but now you're sliding down a slippery slope when you start mandating medical records. You start giving the government that level of control and it won't be long before it's infringing on areas of your life that it wasn't intended to.
I can’t speak for California, but in Louisiana it’s way too easy. All my purchases were less than a 10 minute transaction.

My first firearm I purchased long ago. Just decided I was bored and wanted a gun. I was able to walk in, with no prior firearm experience, give them my ID, fill out a two page sheet, and I walked out with a Glock 26. Just scary to me. I’ve since worked with an instructor, taken many firearm classes, now have my conceal carry permit. To me, it should have been the other way around. I didn’t even know how to release the magazine or how to load it for Pete’s sake.

As for 30 days as opposed to 10, it was just a number I threw out. However long it takes the dealer or whoever is selling to fully vet you would be sufficient.

I don’t have all the answers, I just know in Louisiana it’s too easy to obtain a firearm. I would never sell a horse to someone who didn’t know how to handle a horse. That’s an accident waiting to happen. Why are guns any different?

Not trying to start a war here. Just thinking out loud
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #6016
LBBF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Magic School Bus

Quote:
Quote:
I can't speak for California, but in Louisiana it's way too easy. All my purchases were less than a 10 minute transaction.

My first firearm I purchased long ago. Just decided I was bored and wanted a gun. I was able to walk in, with no prior firearm experience, give them my ID, fill out a two page sheet, and I walked out with a Glock 26. Just scary to me. I've since worked with an instructor, taken many firearm classes, now have my conceal carry permit. To me, it should have been the other way around. I didn't even know how to release the magazine or how to load it for Pete's sake.

As for 30 days as opposed to 10, it was just a number I threw out. However long it takes the dealer or whoever is selling to fully vet you would be sufficient.

I don't have all the answers, I just know in Louisiana it's too easy to obtain a firearm. I would never sell a horse to someone who didn't know how to handle a horse. That's an accident waiting to happen. Why are guns any different?

I think your 30 days has some merit though, maybe even longer. It may mean some of these people are caught, or get help before they can do harm.

Then again maybe not, the guy in Buffalo seems to have been planning for a very long time.
Appreciate 1
Sara5791.00
      05-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #6017
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Who's more ammo rich? Probably everyone but I'm feeling secure on 9mm anyway

Still can't find much 38 or 357
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25089.50
      05-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #6018
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What are your opinions?

Assault rifles is a misnomer used by the anti-gun crowd. AR-15's aren't assault rifles. Arguably, it is easier to be accurate and efficient with an AR-15 than it is a semi-automatic handgun.
It's a really good question, but also a tough one. You previous comment about medical records makes sense, but how else are we supposed to keep up with someone's mental health?

I liked the way NJ went about it. Two references, about a 60 day waiting period, and all of the applications for FIDs (what you need to buy any gun) is reviewed by your local police department.

Not much digs into your mental health, but a standardized psych evaluation by your doctor might suffice?

That still does leave a blind spot for people who deteriorate mentally though it does seem that these people who carry out these attacks go on a buying spree right before the attacks…so the above could work.

The reality is as someone else pointed out before, someone is going to like the changes, and someone else will not. However it seems the majority are ready for serious changes.

In regards to age however, most of these mass shooters seem to be between 18-21, agreed it's not exclusive, but it can't hurt to wait for peoples brains to be completely developed can it?
Well the reality is that there's no real way to do it without infringing on their HIPAA rights, and in doing that it makes everything else open game. Like I said, slippery slope.

The idea about a psych evaluation sounds good on the surface, but ask anybody who has every gone through a psych evaluation (…cough…every police officer….cough), their conclusions are rarely ever in line. It's a subjective conclusion rather than an objective one. It will not fix the issue.

These mass shootings that occur aren't cookie cutter. Some have clinically documented mental issues while others claim to have issues because it's convenient and/or is designed as a sympathetic petition to those who may be tasked with judgment (…e.g…jurors, the judge, etc.). Some use illegally obtained firearms and some use legally owned and/or possessed firearms. Some have temporary mental breakdowns because of a trauma and others are just evil people. There's no real rhyme or reason.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #6019
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can't speak for California, but in Louisiana it's way too easy. All my purchases were less than a 10 minute transaction.

My first firearm I purchased long ago. Just decided I was bored and wanted a gun. I was able to walk in, with no prior firearm experience, give them my ID, fill out a two page sheet, and I walked out with a Glock 26. Just scary to me. I've since worked with an instructor, taken many firearm classes, now have my conceal carry permit. To me, it should have been the other way around. I didn't even know how to release the magazine or how to load it for Pete's sake.

I don't have all the answers, I just know in Louisiana it's too easy to obtain a firearm. I would never sell a horse to someone who didn't know how to handle a horse. That's an accident waiting to happen. Why are guns any different?

Now imagine needing to grant access to all of your medical records in order to obtain that permit. Furthermore, have you seen a psychologist? Should you have been required to see a psychologist before obtaining a permit to defend yourself? What if you were required to see a psychologist on a regular basis and make those records available?!? After all, you're now in the position where you're carrying a firearm and you just might have to shoot someone. Have you ever considered the psychological, legal and financial ramifications of pulling that trigger in the name of "self-defense"? Are you prepared to potentially lose your livelihood, your daughter and your freedom because of that decision? If we start probing, the questions become endless.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #6020
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Now imagine needing to grant access to all of your medical records in order to obtain that permit. Furthermore, have you seen a psychologist? Should you have been required to see a psychologist before obtaining a permit to defend yourself? What if you were required to see a psychologist on a regular basis and make those records available?!? After all, you're now in the position where you're carrying a firearm and you just might have to shoot someone. Have you ever considered the psychological, legal and financial ramifications of pulling that trigger in the name of "self-defense"? Are you prepared to potentially lose your livelihood, your daughter and your freedom because of that decision? If we start probing, the questions become endless.
Not sure what the requirements are in CA for a CCW. Again, I can only speak to Louisiana. I had to sign two HIPAAs for Louisiana to request my medical records to approve me for a concealed permit. I signed those with zero hesitation. I’m all for it. If required to see a psychologist, sure. I think that’s great, but Louisiana didn’t require that for me.

As far as the ramifications go, I think about it daily. Car jackings in NOLA are insane. Recently here a woman’s arm was severed in a car jacking attempt and she died on scene. Louisiana has a “shoot the car jacker” law, which protects the victim (as it should). Louisiana is a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. I have USCCA insurance. I hope to never have to pull the trigger, but in the event I fear for my life, or my child’s, etc., I will pull it.

Again, I don’t have all the answers. I just hope anyone who is able to purchase a gun is physically and mentally capable of being a responsible gun owner. Easier said than done, I just hope some changes are made

Last edited by Sara; 05-27-2022 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #6021
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what the requirements are in CA for a CCW. Again, I can only speak to Louisiana. I had to sign two HIPAAs for Louisiana to request my medical records to approve me for a concealed permit. I signed those with zero hesitation. I'm all for it. If required to see a psychologist, sure. I think that's great, but Louisiana didn't require that for me. As far as the ramifications go, I think about it daily. Car jackings in NOLA are insane. Recently here a woman's arm was severed in a car jacking attempt and she died on scene. Louisiana has a "shoot the car jacker" law, which protects the victim (as it should). Louisiana is a stand your ground state with no duty to retreat. I have USCCA insurance. I hope to never have to pull the trigger, but in the event I fear for my life, or my child's, etc., I will pull it.
Not everybody is comfortable with that even if there's no mental disorder to conceal. Absorbing the financial impact of regular psych visits just to be able to defend yourself isn't ideal either. Subjecting the law abiding public to these suggested restrictions does nothing to address the real and pervasive issue (…which isn't firearms in the possession of law abiding citizens). Criminals and people intent on causing mass harm do not play by any of these rules. Like someone mentioned, some people deteriorate mentally over time. A mentally sound Sara today may not be the case two years from now. Are you going to readily relinquish your firearms should you decline? I doubt it, but I fully expect you to say that you would because…..appearances.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615259.00
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #6022
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not everybody is comfortable with that even if there's no mental disorder to conceal. Like someone mentioned, some people deteriorate mentally over time. A mentally sound Sara today may not be the case two years from now. Are you going to readily relinquish your firearms should you decline? I doubt it, but I fully expect you to say that you would because…..appearances.
You know, I actually have thought about that. And the answer is yes, I would. Same as I would with my driver’s license. Should I reach a point where I can no longer operate a vehicle safely, should I be on the road behind the wheel? No.

Speaking of, I wish the DMV had annual testing renewals or something. I swear the people down here make me wonder who passed them on their driving tests I was actually rear ended in April this year. An suv slammed into me while I was at a stop on the expressway. Driver “dozed off” as they stated to the police. It was 08:30. To me, if you’ve got a medical condition where you “doze off” while driving, you shouldn’t be permitted to be behind the wheel!! I was injured and my vehicle was moderately damaged. Their vehicle was totaled. Thankfully, I have youth on my side and good health and I’m fine now, but imagine if they had hit someone else instead of me, and killed that person… guns aren’t for everyone and neither is driving. Not everyone’s going to agree, but that’s just what I think.

Last edited by Sara; 05-27-2022 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Can’t spell, too tired to care
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #6023
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

So... You guys that want restrictions on the 2nd Amendment, do you also want them on the 5th?, 4th?, 3rd, 10th or any of the other BILL OF RIGHTS?
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25089.50
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #6024
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Until and unless congress passes a constitutional amendment deleting the 2nd A I am not in favor of any more restrictions on ownership or purchasing of firearms. For me the constitution IS a living document but only via the specific methods defined within it and the "death of a 1000 cuts" that gun banners are implementing makes all our rights less secure. And to date none of the suggestions ever passed in any state have done anything to make us safer.

Having said that, I'd be OK with secure background checks including linking mental health databases with the current federal background check. And we could stand to improve our nations mental health services.

I can't claim I know answers to all of societies issues but it sure seems to me that school shootings would be better resolved with seriously secure campus settings and an armed response within each school.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25089.50
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #6025
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
So... You guys that want restrictions on the 2nd Amendment, do you also want them on the 5th?, 4th?, 3rd, 10th or any of the other BILL OF RIGHTS?
They probably do. It's the same people who are okay with freedom of speech as long as it coincides with their own belief system(s). Anything less and it's deemed hate speech, racist, misinformation, xenophobic, etc. They shift the pendulum to fit their own criteria. Rights are equal across the board.
Appreciate 4
jzmundy991.00
paquet629.50
jmack548.50
      05-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #6026
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Until and unless congress passes a constitutional amendment deleting the 2nd A I am not in favor of any more restrictions on ownership or purchasing of firearms. For me the constitution IS a living document but only via the specific methods defined within it and the "death of a 1000 cuts" that gun banners are implementing makes all our rights less secure. And to date none of the suggestions ever passed in any state have done anything to make us safer.

Having said that, I'd be OK with secure background checks including linking mental health databases with the current federal background check. And we could stand to improve our nations mental health services.

I can't claim I know answers to all of societies issues but it sure seems to me that school shootings would be better resolved with seriously secure campus settings and an armed response within each school.
Well stated and I agree with majority of what you have said.

The issue with mental health services is this: the government does not care. It's all empty rhetoric. Very little is done to deal with the issue. Much like the approach to curtailing crime, homelessness, etc., most of the implementation(s) is/are the equivalent using a band-aid for a cut that requires sutures.
Appreciate 2
jamesinaz1643.50
paquet629.50
      05-27-2022, 11:07 PM   #6027
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Anyone else on here reload? I have a few pounds of a few different powders for various cartridges. I know the powder needs to be kept in a cool/dry place as moisture can have adverse effects on it, but I've always felt a bit weird or uneasy keeping it in the house, more specifically the safe. Especially with a newborn about a month away. Anyone else experience this anxiety? Or am I overthinking it?
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #6028
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
Anyone else on here reload? I have a few pounds of a few different powders for various cartridges. I know the powder needs to be kept in a cool/dry place as moisture can have adverse effects on it, but I've always felt a bit weird or uneasy keeping it in the house, more specifically the safe. Especially with a newborn about a month away. Anyone else experience this anxiety? Or am I overthinking it?
I've considered getting into it. I just don't shoot enough to make it financially worthwhile at this time, but I do plan to learn. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game.
Appreciate 0