F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Cat6 wiring help.
Studio RSR

10-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Cat6 wiring help.

I'm looking to add satellite and cat 6 ethernet cable to my upstairs two rooms.

The satellite one is ok as all I should be able to do is add wires to the master socket which will give power to upstairs

The ethernet one is confusing me because its a master phone socket? So can someone explain how this works?

I will most likely add another phone socket downstairs so I can route the cat 6 cables upstairs easily
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

You're on about CAT6 cable and Master phone sockets which aren't related.

Are you trying to put Ethernet from your router upstairs or just extend your phone line to upstairs?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post

Are you trying to put Ethernet from your router upstairs or just extend your phone line to upstairs?
Either way, I wouldn’t bother. Everything is wireless these days.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Thats why im confused the router connects to a micro filter which is connected to master socket?

I want to run cat 6 cables to ethernet faceplates in two of my rooms upstairs
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #5
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Are you sure you have a router? Micro filter sounds more like an ADSL modem.

Are they definitely ethernet face plates and not phone?

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post

Quote:

A micro filter connected to a phone socket which goes to a phone and ethernet cable to bt router.

I don't have any ethernet face plates but want to add them

I am not sure where to take the main supply from though to have ethernet faceplate
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Postcab
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jag XE

Your question isn't very clear.

You don't have to connect your router to the telephone master socket. However, if you do it will improve your up/ down load speed (but not by a huge amount).

Your router may have a built in hub. However, I run a Cat6 cable from my router to a switch (Netgear GS308) which then has the multiple Cat6 cables attached to it. These cables run throughout the house and are terminated to Cat6 sockets in various rooms.

Because Cat 6 cables can handle 10Gbps, throughput shouldn't be an issue, but terminating the cables into sockets etc can be a bit tricky at first (but youtube is your friend).

Hope that answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

What type of traffic do you want to carry over the CAT6 cable?

If all of the traffic goes via your ADSL/Cable router then it is probably overkill unless you have the Virgin Media 300Mbps service and/or some very shitty wifi devices. My iMac will connect at 1.3Gbps over wifi to my VM SuperHub2. My iPad Mini 3 will struggle to connect at anything over 150Mbps to the same SuperHub. My lad gets a 400Mbps+ wifi connection from his gaming PC upstairs to the SuperHub downstairs.

I am using a couple of TP-Link 2Gbps Home AV plugs on some very old (1964) ring mains. The real bandwidth on these is in excess of 1.2Mbps duplex which means I get a healthy 600Mbps each way. More than enough to saturate my VM 200Mbps broadband connection. I use the Home AV plugs for my PS3 and YouView STB/recorder.

If you really do want CAT6 in every room then you are going to have to terminate them all in a single location and plug everything into an Ethernet Switch, with at least 8 ports by the sounds of it.

With the greatest respect, if you don't understand any of the above then you are probably out of your depth and should seek a local electrician that does data network installations for some advice on best installation and costs.

Last edited by ronime; 10-05-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #9
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

I think the networking side has been covered so won?t go into that.
The idea you have for your sat cable won?t work either as you can?t just split a sata Lloyd signal You either need to run cables from your lnb (may need one with more outputs) or you can use a satellite distribution box (overkill for home use) which will require 4 inputs from the lnb.
Sky Q does away with the need to have cables running to other rooms so will be an easier option
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Personally if wi-fi is not an option for you I would look at power line adaptors, plug one next to your router and connect that up, then plug the others where you need data.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...FbL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #11
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for their reply.

As a keen Diy-er and a recently new house that is in the process of getting done up, as everything is empty I thought it was best time to install some satellite/ethernet ports to upstairs.

I was just wondering the basics of how it all connected up, but reading your guys comments I think the router/modem will be sufficient enough!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post

As a keen Diy-er and a recently new house that is in the process of getting done up, as everything is empty I thought it was best time to install some satellite/ethernet ports to upstairs.

I was just wondering the basics of how it all connected up, but reading your guys comments I think the router/modem will be sufficient enough!
The Powerline adaptors are a good shout. You plug one in near your router and connect it to the router with ethernet cable. You then put adaptors into power sockets around the house. These can be pass-through adaptors if you wish (so you can still use the socket for power). Each adaptor will present an ethernet port. The data travels around the house in your power cabling. It works well.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The Powerline adaptors are a good shout. You plug one in near your router and connect it to the router with ethernet cable. You then put adaptors into power sockets around the house. These can be pass-through adaptors if you wish (so you can still use the socket for power). Each adaptor will present an ethernet port. The data travels around the house in your power cabling. It works well.
Yep I had similar in the past, just because the full house is getting plastered I thought it go down the route of ethernet sockets!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yep I had similar in the past, just because the full house is getting plastered I thought it go down the route of ethernet sockets!
Nothing wrong with a bit of forward thinking. The hardware is not expensive unless you want to start messing with PoE (power over ethernet).

Every ethernet port in a room is going to need a spare port in an ethernet hub or switch at the other end.

You might want to collect the upstairs connections into their own switch and then route this downstairs via a single cable into another switch that also collects the downstairs ethernet collections. Otherwise you need to bring all of the upstairs and downstairs connections (cables) into a single place with a switch with a large number of ports.

These switches then need to connect to your broadband router. Typically the home routers provided by your ISP will have a 4-port switch built in. If you have only wired 2 devices upstairs and 2 downstairs then the router's own ports will be sufficient but if you anticipate more than this then some external switches are going to be required.
      10-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
I really struggled with these. Even though I gave them all the same SSID as my router, my phone treated each one as a separate network, constantly disconnecting and reconnecting as I moved around the house.

I just bought a better router in the end and ditched them.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #16
ronime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChumley View Post
I really struggled with these. Even though I gave them all the same SSID as my router, my phone treated each one as a separate network, constantly disconnecting and reconnecting as I moved around the house.

I just bought a better router in the end and ditched them.
SSID? Did you get the ones with wifi extenders built in? Mine are just straightforward ethernet over powerline for wired network devices. Just pair them by pushing a button and forget that they are there.

Wifi extenders are usually some kind of store and forward relay and can introduce extra latency. Not much use for the gaming fanatics.
      10-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Wouldn't just CAT5/5e standard cable do? Guess you are future proofing but for current data speeds these should be fine. The shielding and bend radius stuff and termination to a faceplate must be a lot more stringent for CAT6. Good luck though.
      10-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #18
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

if your doing a house up I personally would run Ethernet through the house. take all the cables up to the loft and make sure there's power up there. then you just put an Ethernet switch up there, then you hook up your router to the master phone socket. and connect an Ethernet to one of the sockets and that's it, wired internet connections across the house

I am a geek though but wireless can be a bit pants depending on your property but I get dead spots which can be a pain.

if it's just the odd connection and you don't want to bother running cables then powerline adapters are your friend.

also note, sky q boxes should be adding powerline capability, I think they also act as Wi-Fi repeaters.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #19
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
SSID? Did you get the ones with wifi extenders built in? Mine are just straightforward ethernet over powerline for wired network devices. Just pair them by pushing a button and forget that they are there.

Wifi extenders are usually some kind of store and forward relay and can introduce extra latency. Not much use for the gaming fanatics.
Yes, it was the ones with wifi extenders. I didn't want to hard wire anything as it was mainly so my laptop could get wifi all round the house.
Appreciate 0