F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
Studio RSR

12-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #133
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I'm not sure what went wrong with their plans to include full screen!

The alternative device available that uses car's OEM mic would be unique-ad.co.uk

Cheaper and includes screen mirroring as well.
Thanks dude. May just go that route.

01-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #134
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Anyone else think this looks remarkably similar.

This could explain the issues with updates, full screen etc.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cmvased6
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #135
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Even if it looks similar, for me software is the big deal.. Would you buy a clone iPhone to use?? It looks the same with original too..

PS Anyone tried this simple “test” which i explain before two posts???
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:58 AM   #136
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

I'm seriously interested in going with an MMI unit - I've been tearing my hair out trying to get Spotify via iDrive app working. It will stream via USB and Bluetooth but only with minimal skip back and forth control. In the end, I admitted defeat after various attempts to swop phone, cable, reset the phone, update iDrive software etc....

One thing I would say is that yesterday in an act of sheer frustration - I signed up for the one month trial of BMW Online Entertainment. It's £1 and uses the car's inbuilt 3G Vodaphone modem. I set it up using Deezer and then imported all my music over from Spotify using a free online app (Mooval). I've got to say that it's actually really good.

There's a slight delay when accessing new tracks because it's got to download over 3G but it's really pretty decent and most importantly for me, I get full iDrive touch controller search and playlist functionality + plus it works every time without fail and independent of my phone.

The price, however, is £160 for 12 months but that's all in and includes 12 months Deezer premium and all the 3G data in the car. When I compare that to £180 I pay for Spotify (family) - it's not too bad - just don't like that its upfront and not smaller monthly cost. Plus Spotify generally is way cooler to use than Deezer - but needs must. I'll see how the trial goes and keep an eye on the MMI developments. Sadly my NBT is non-evo so think that limits my options moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #137
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Even if it looks similar, for me software is the big deal.. Would you buy a clone iPhone to use?? It looks the same with original too..

I agree however Bimmertech seems to take originality to their advantage by not allowing full-screen resolution and mirroring functions to match the others for specific reasons. I happen to contact them and ask about MMI which then they shifted the discussion to talk about changing the whole head unit system instead!

Since I don't have the MMI yet I would love to test your request otherwise.

Can you kindly provide your feedback so far about the MMI?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #138
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

At first i have to say that I have 6.5” screen from factory with extra hifi(with optical cable) , Bluetooth connection for call etc and aux in..

I wanted to have CarPlay functions for navigation music plus rear view camera.. (i have sensors from factory) so at first i bought an android screen like Avin’s one with Android 7.1. These screens are really bad, they claim to do for example “ten things” and they don’t do right not even one..
After one week i gave it back and i ordered CarPlay MMI from BimmerTech..
Except one update that i made in order to stay in CarPlay when reversing, it’s very stable as overall.. Perfect sound and No disconnections(use original cable) and i have everything i want with the speed from my iphone which is great!! I have said some extra tips a few posts before to see..

It will be perfect for me when i find the time to connect rear camera too(I didn’t buy it from BimmerTech because i had the one which I bought for the android screen and i kept it).. When fitting camera with this MMI it shows rear view and rear sensors too on the right part of the screen..(most MMIs show only rear view)..

If I would like i could change my screen too with the 8.8” one but it will not give me anything extra and I am happy with the 6.5” with all functions that i like..
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #139
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:

I agree on the clone front however the Chinese are not going to clone what is a very niche product.

I'd suspect these are the same units being bought in and sold on which is why full screen etc isn't possible because the original manufacturers haven't released that feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #140
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I understand what you mean but personally I wasn’t willing to do another Chinese “test” because as i said i had already bought an android 7.1 screen which i gave back because it was a big NO for me.. really disappointed..

I have already made a lot of questions to BimmerTech(Patryk) and i had my answers immediately!! I wanted to buy a product and know that there will be someone for me to inform me anything i need, so i choosed this one and I am happy.. Patryk also answered me questions about cables for my aftermarket camera which I didn’t buy from them..

Even on other MMIs like unichip, I have read a lot bad feedbacks and that they have poor support. As well their software isn’t as oem as this one..

P.S. Threat starter if you see it, please check this “test” which i post about..

Last edited by Chris_ks; 01-03-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #141
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does this justify the price gap between Bimmertech's and other ones?

Quote:
I understand what you mean but personally I wasn’t willing to do another Chinese “test” because as i said i had already bought an android 7.1 screen which i gave back because it was a big NO for me.. really disappointed..

I have already made a lot of questions to BimmerTech(Patryk) and i had my answers immediately!! I wanted to buy a product and know that there will be someone for me to inform me anything i need, so i choosed this one and I am happy.. Patryk also answered me questions about cables for my aftermarket camera which I didn’t buy from them..

Even on other MMIs like unichip, I have read a lot bad feedbacks and that they have poor support. As well their software isn’t as oem as this one..

P.S. Threat starter if you see it, please check this “test” which i post about..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #142
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

If your are asking me, here in Europe some companies which have similar product, and not even using car’s mic, were selling even more expensive than BimmerTech and i would not pay even extra to them for no reason.. Cheaper than this one i found only online from Ali etc..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #143
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

I made an enquiry to UNichip and they're now sending me continual offers to buy the MMI. Currently, the offer is $379 USD including shipping to the UK. I am tempted.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #144
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguyuk View Post
I made an enquiry to UNichip and they're now sending me continual offers to buy the MMI. Currently, the offer is $379 USD including shipping to the UK. I am tempted.
That's a bargain. It's an awesome piece of kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #145
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It looks like Unique AD in UK is preparing for a new Carplay MMI with wireless!

They ask to check their website in a month
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #146
Jam101jam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coup xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
That’s not the BimmerTech box. At least that suggests it’s possible. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a firmware update.
The next software update is scheduled for October.
If everything goes well, you will be happy with all the new features we are going to add
Aha and what are the features?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #147
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam101jam View Post
Aha and what are the features?
Nothing. They didn't release anything and have been pretty much quiet ever since.

01-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #148
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
I'm not sure what went wrong with their plans to include full screen!

The alternative device available that uses car's OEM mic would be unique-ad.co.uk

Cheaper and includes screen mirroring as well.
I see they now have a wireless version on their website. Link with them see if they have anything compatible with BMW yet.

Last edited by x-m4n; 01-11-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #149
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
It looks like Unique AD in UK is preparing for a new Carplay MMI with wireless!

They ask to check their website in a month
I have the wired version from Unique AD, maybe some 6+ months now. Did get a firmware update when I asked - it updated the AUTO "app" and now shows BMW and the BMW logo...

All we need now really is full widescreen support!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #150
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Do anyone have problems with getting the mic to work? I connected everything per the instruction and left the black red white plug out. However, microphone doesn’t work through CarPlay but works through native idrive Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #151
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

No I didn’t have any problem, but if you see previous posts I have asked about an extra cable I found in package and finally it was an optional mic cable for cars which may need this ..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #152
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
No I didn’t have any problem, but if you see previous posts I have asked about an extra cable I found in package and finally it was an optional mic cable for cars which may need this ..
Gotta love those vague instructions from the manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #153
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Hahaha yes it was strange for me too, but they said me that some cars need that cable and they can’t know when to send it, so they include it as optional..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #154
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Can anyone confirm/deny a statement that I received from BimmerTech?

I asked:Which buttons on the car do NOT work when using the MMI solution? ie, If I am in CarPlay can I use steering wheel controls for volume, for changing tracks? I am assuming that iDrive controller works as expected. How about the button on console (such as track skip, etc)?

The response was: Buttons on console work, iDrive controller works, steering controls don't work.

Really, the steering wheel controls do not work with BimmerTech MMI solution?

Steven
Appreciate 0