F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Variable BMW High Beam Assistant in USA?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post

Are you experiencing the same thing as i do when driving in the city at less than 40 MPH, that the HBA would only turn both high beams on/off? In the official BMW video on glare-free HBA, it was a LED-based headlights and so perhaps they work a little differently than the Xenon-based headlights.
Yes, at low speeds, the HB's only turn on/off along with moving left/right based on steering wheel position. I didn't notice if there is a speed limit for this or not.

Once you are going faster, the glare free logic definitely kicks in.

As you indicate, the C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (60 kph / 37 mph) and C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (70 kph / 43 mph) seem to control this activation.

So, I guess that you have to be traveling over 43.5 mph before the glare free function is enabled, and once it's on, it's not turned off until the speed is below 37.3 mph.

The idea of these separate thresholds makes sense to me, but the values seem a bit high. I don't know if there are EU regulations that control theses values or not.

Have you tried tweaking these values?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #24
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes, at low speeds, the HB's only turn on/off along with moving left/right based on steering wheel position. I didn't notice if there is a speed limit for this or not.

As you indicate, the C_HBA_ENA_V_LO (60 kph / 37 mph) and C_HBA_ENA_V_HI (70 kph / 43 mph) seem to control this activation.

So, I guess that you have to be traveling over 43.5 mph before the glare free function is enabled, and once it's on, it's not turned off until the speed is below 37.3 mph.

The idea of these separate thresholds makes sense to me, but the values seem a bit high. I don't know if there are EU regulations that control theses values or not.

Yeah, on the third night of testing, i tweaked V_LO to what's equivalent to 25 MPH (i was assuming the Hex number was in kph) and V_HI to 35 MPH. It didn't seem to make any changes to how the HBA functioned. But then again, i was not even sure if i ever exceeded 35 MPH on that road. I will tweak it again and give it another test. Finding a nearby dark road in the city that i can do more than 35 MPH is not easy! I think this time round, i will tweak it to an ever lower trigger threshold.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #25
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I also found these:

C_HBA_HGWY_V_LO
Werte=5A
threshold velocity for leaving highwaymode.
5A = 90 kph (55 MPH)

C_HBA_HGWY_V_HI
Werte=8C
threshold velocity to get in highwaymode directly
8C = 140 kph (87 MPH)

Not sure what the highwaymode is and how different it is from the HBA mode triggered by going above 43 MPH.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I also found these:

C_HBA_HGWY_V_LO
Werte=5A
threshold velocity for leaving highwaymode.
5A = 90 kph (55 MPH)

C_HBA_HGWY_V_HI
Werte=8C
threshold velocity to get in highwaymode directly
8C = 140 kph (87 MPH)

Not sure what the highwaymode is and how different it is from the HBA mode triggered by going above 43 MPH.
Yeah, I saw those and many, many others. What I'd give for some documentation rather than trying to reverse engineer something as complicated as this!

I'm pretty happy with the way it works as-is. I need to do some more driving at night to see if I really want to tweak these or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Frogman, ktula,
Great work, I am really excited to see this is possible.

Can you confirm exactly what you need to code to enable this? (I have done some coding.) I see 2 items that look to be unnecessary and mention of disabling 2 other (5AP & 8S4) but I am not clear on where these are done.

Also, can you confirm only Xenons and HBA are required? I have the camera for HBA and rear/top-view cameras but do not have any of the driver assist stuff (lane departure warning or blind spot warning).

2012 F30 335i 6MT - Imperial Blue w/Everest Gray: Sport, Adaptive M, Premium, Tech & Parking Pkgs, Assist, Apps
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Frogman, ktula,
Great work, I am really excited to see this is possible.

Can you confirm exactly what you need to code to enable this? (I have done some coding.) I see 2 items that look to be unnecessary and mention of disabling 2 other (5AP & 8S4) but I am not clear on where these are done.

Also, can you confirm only Xenons and HBA are required? I have the camera for HBA and rear/top-view cameras but do not have any of the driver assist stuff (lane departure warning or blind spot warning).
You don't need to do any FDL coding (i.e. you don't need to change any variable values). I believe the Xenons are required and the HBA is definitely required.

You don't need the driver assist stuff. I don't have the top/side view cameras, speed-limit info, or the driver assist package.

First, you need to remove 5AP and 8S4 from your FA. There is a document that describes the procedure on the coding thread (editing your FA). This will remove the 2 disable codes that prevents this feature from working on US cars.

Second, you need to VO code (Right Click on the CAFD file in the SVT list and select Code instead of "Read Coding Data") both FLA and FEM_BODY. This will initialize the ECU settings based on the new FA you just changed. If you previously FDL coded your FEM_BODY, you will need to re-apply the changes as they will have reverted to factory defaults when the ECU is VO coded.

I talked to Shawn last night about being able to do this mod without actually having to write the new FA to the car. My concern was when you take it in for service, they might have issues programming the car if the FA is different. I don't think they can see (or care) about FDL code changes, but FA changes may be different.

There is a procedure for doing this without having to write the FA back to the car and still being able to VO code the ECU's with the removed option codes. I'll try to write something up in the next day or so and post it here and/or on the coding thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #29
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktctr View Post
Sounds like its time for another SoCal coding meet as I would LOVE this feature to work!
I scheduled a new meet for January 26th...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932153
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #30
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
My observations from a drive tonight after making the following changes:

C_HBA_ENA_V_LO werte=18 (15 MPH)
C_HBA_ENA_V_HI werte=28 (25 MPH)

Going above 25 MPH would enable HBA. Unlike what i stated previously about the HBA being "dumb" by only turning on/off both high beams at slow speed, my observations tonight showed that as long as the HBA is engaged, it's a "smart" system. Based on the camera, the HBA determines when and how to adjust the headlights. On several occasions tonight on a 2-lane road, the HBA would turn off the left high beam while leaving the right high beam on when it detected vehicles approaching from the opposite direction. So this ability to individually control high beams works at slow speed as well as at highway speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I talked to Shawn last night about being able to do this mod without actually having to write the new FA to the car. My concern was when you take it in for service, they might have issues programming the car if the FA is different. I don't think they can see (or care) about FDL code changes, but FA changes may be different.

There is a procedure for doing this without having to write the FA back to the car and still being able to VO code the ECU's with the removed option codes. I'll try to write something up in the next day or so and post it here and/or on the coding thread.
Eagerly await your write-up on how to achieve this.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #32
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eagerly await your write-up on how to achieve this.
Well, I decided that rather than write up a long and mostly duplicate procedure of things that are already in other instructions, I'll just try to describe the procedure here. It's only a few different steps from normal coding operations.

1. Before you try to do anything else, you need to to change some E-Sys settings.

Start E-Sys and click on Options, then Settings... A settings window will be displayed, click on the Options tab. You need to UNCHECK the "Update VCM after TAL execution" and "Update MSM after TAL execution" switches (Thanks Shawn!). This prevents Code/FDL Code operations from writing modified FA's back to the car. It should look like this:

Now proceed to connect to the car and then go to the Expert Mode, Coding like normal.

2. Read the Vehicle Order and the SVT as usual.

3. Now, in the Vehicle Order section, click Save and save the file to disk. Saving the VO will enable the Edit button.

4. Click on the Edit button. This will load the FA editor. Edit the FA as needed (in this case, remove 5AP and 8S4, or in the case of enabling EBT, change 6NH to 6NK or 6NS) and click on the Blue Floppy icon on the toolbar to save the changes to the HDD. Then click the Green Left Arrow Icon on the toolbar to go back to expert coding mode.

5. A window will pop up asking if you want to reload the FA into the coding window. You do want to reload the FA, so click Yes.

E-Sys will now return to the Coding module and will be loaded with the modified FA.

6. You can now activate the FA and VO Code the necessary ECU's.
For Glare Free High Beams, VO Code FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 (depending on what you have).
For Enhanced Bluetooth VO Code CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY or just HU_NBT (depending on what you have).
The modified FA will be used to initialize the ECU settings that you VO code, but the modified FA will not be written back to the car.

7. If any of the ECU's you just VO coded had previous custom FDL coding, then these FDL setting changes will have to be re-applied. VO Coding resets all ECU FDL settings back to factory default, which is why the ECU's are VO coded in the first place!

If you want/need to write a modified FA to the car some some reason, you can still use the "How to change FA in F-series car" procedure. See :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=2

Last edited by Frogman; 01-09-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #33
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Frogman, for those of us who already have a modified FA written to the car, will your procedure undo that? Thanks for the write-up!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #34
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Frogman, for those of us who already have a modified FA written to the car, will your procedure undo that? Thanks for the write-up!
Yeah, I wrote my FA to the car too when I did this on Sunday.

I then began to worry about issues when taking the car into service. I don't believe they can see (or care about) FDL coding, but a modified FA *may* cause an issue.

I did squirrel away a copy of my factory FA before I modified it, so I simply restored it using the Expert Mode VCM procedure described in the "How to change FA in F-series car" document. I just loaded the file from the HDD, calculated the FP, and wrote it to the car.

If you don't have a factory FA file anymore, you can just load the FA from the car and add the 5AP and 8S4 back to the FA and write it back to the car.

Last edited by Frogman; 01-09-2014 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Thanks for the write-up, Frogman. Is this just an alternative way of editing your FA to remove 5AP and 8S4 without having to VO code FEM_BODY? Or do you still need to VO and recode everything you coded previously in FEM_BODY?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #36
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
Thanks for the write-up, Frogman. Is this just an alternative way of editing your FA to remove 5AP and 8S4 without having to VO code FEM_BODY? Or do you still need to VO and recode everything you coded previously in FEM_BODY?
No, you still have to VO code FEM_BODY and your camera (FLA or KAFAS2). That's step 6.

Just changing the FA doesn't alter the behavior of the ECU's.

After you VO code FEM_BODY, you will have to re-FDL code any previous customized changes.

I've added a step 7 to my post to indicate this. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by Frogman; 01-09-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #37
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:
No, you still have to VO code FEM_BODY and your camera (FLA or KAFAS2). That's step 6.

Just changing the FA doesn't alter the behavior of the ECU's.

After you VO code FEM_BODY, you will have to re-FDL code any previous customized changes.
gotcha...thanks for all your help

i have the FLA cam, i only have HBA and not speed limit info and lane departure...glad to know it still works with just the very cheap $250 option! HBA went to #1 on the no-brainer list
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan View Post
gotcha...thanks for all your help

i have the FLA cam, i only have HBA and not speed limit info and lane departure...glad to know it still works with just the very cheap $250 option! HBA went to #1 on the no-brainer list
After getting mine coded by Frogman last night, I can say the HBA at $250 is the best bang for the buck of practically any option. Simply amazing.
      01-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #39
orma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2014 335i w/ PPK.

Quote:
For Glare Free High Beams, VO Code FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 (depending on what you have).
New to coding - could you please give or point me to instructions on how to VO code? I've ordered a cable -- should be here later this week.

Thanks very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #40
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by orma View Post
New to coding - could you please give or point me to instructions on how to VO code? I've ordered a cable -- should be here later this week.

Thanks very much in advance.
Read this:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=17
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #41
orma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2014 335i w/ PPK.

Quote:
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #42
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
After getting mine coded by Frogman last night, I can say the HBA at $250 is the best bang for the buck of practically any option. Simply amazing.
Nice... Do you thinks it's as good as the European version? I want to do this in the spring when the car comes out of storage.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #43
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
Nice... Do you thinks it's as good as the European version? I want to do this in the spring when the car comes out of storage.
It should be exactly like the European version, but I have no way to compare it to be sure.

The procedure we do simply removes the disable codes that are set into US/NA bound cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #44
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
It should be exactly like the European version, but I have no way to compare it to be sure.

The procedure we do simply removes the disable codes that are set into US/NA bound cars.

That is Awesome.

I always thought the euro cars had a large sensor built into the mirror/glass. The USA cars just have a little sensor built into the mirror housing. I didn't think our little sensor had that kind of capability.
Appreciate 0