F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Top/Rear View cameras malfunction warning??
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #23
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

FYI, each camera has a single multiconductor coax cable running to it. This cable includes video signaling and power. It's a fairly well designed waterproof connector with a sealing ring to keep out water.

The underdash module has a spot for each camera to connect and a multi pin amphenol plug for power, canbus and video signals to Idrive unit.

That's about it for the wiring in this camera system.
      01-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
actually i've never used my rear view camera, but i find the top view is very useful. backing into any kind of parking spot is super easy.

the side cameras are nice but i don't use them very often. it helps when you are at an intersection and you are not able to see the coming traffic.
Okay, you're right about the around view. now that I've paid some attention to how I use the cameras, I find myself using the around view to see how close I am to curbs and if I'm centered in parking spots to make sure I'm not too close to cars on either side of me.
      10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
hummali
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N/A

I am going through this problem right now - I bought a 2013 F30 a few days a go and realized this error was popping up even though the camera is OEM factory fitted for the model. However, my trunk was a carboin fiber after market. First they tried to reinitialize (code) all the sensors/camera again saying this was because whoever changed the lid didnt do it. Cost = $85
The next day the same error popped up - another auxilary problem with this error are the rest of the sensors, especially the lane assist/blind spot detection eitehr stop working or start going off even when there is no car around me.

So I took it in and now they are saying it is because the bracket that holds the camera in the trunk is broken or lose and everytime i hit a bump or close the trunk, the camera goes out of calibration causing all sensors to go heywire as well. As such, they want me to pay them $500 to fit in a new bracket and foil some part of my carboon fiber lid so they can successfully hold the camera in spot.
I am thinking of picking the car up and working it out my self but i thought i'd let you guys know.

Considering that you have a retrofit, i am guessing the bracket is not holding the camera in spoit.
N if anyone can help me with my ordeal - plz reach out!!! I literally jsut bought this car and dont have the money or time to take this on right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:34 PM   #26
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

I'm having this issue too on my F22 2016 M235i xdrive. this vehicle only has the rear backup camera. it's only 7 months old and i started having this issue in May where the camera would start to work then flicker to a black screen or it would flicker a green screen (like changing the inputs on one's tv) or would be frozen on a still frame. I've had to return to the dealer three times now and it looks like i'll be coming back a forth time.

The first time, I was told the camera module needed to be replaced (66539240351), but i had to return since it was nearing memorial day weekend and the part could not be sourced in time. I returned a couple of weeks later and the new camera was installed. but the very next day, i had the same error. this time, techs first tried to see if it was software related, which it was not. a new control module (66539393953) was installed, but the error persisted. now i'm waiting for the cable/wiring harness, which isn't available until later this month.

can anyone say what ultimately was the cause? wiring/cable harness? due to corrosion? also, does anyone have the part number to the cabling/harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #27
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexingv View Post
I'm having this issue too on my F22 2016 M235i xdrive. this vehicle only has the rear backup camera. it's only 7 months old and i started having this issue in May where the camera would start to work then flicker to a black screen or it would flicker a green screen (like changing the inputs on one's tv) or would be frozen on a still frame. I've had to return to the dealer three times now and it looks like i'll be coming back a forth time.

The first time, I was told the camera module needed to be replaced (66539240351), but i had to return since it was nearing memorial day weekend and the part could not be sourced in time. I returned a couple of weeks later and the new camera was installed. but the very next day, i had the same error. this time, techs first tried to see if it was software related, which it was not. a new control module (66539393953) was installed, but the error persisted. now i'm waiting for the cable/wiring harness, which isn't available until later this month.

can anyone say what ultimately was the cause? wiring/cable harness? due to corrosion? also, does anyone have the part number to the cabling/harness?

Actually I had this problem again 2 months ago.
I took it to a dealership and they said it's because of corrosion of the wires.
They replaced all the cameras and wires under warranty. Let's see how long it's gonna last this time...

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #28
johnsonlwu
Private
Rep
Drives: F30328i x 2 (yes, 2)

Garage List
2020 bmw 840i  [0.00]
It's moisture related. Causing intermittent connections and a short/ overcurrent.
Error Likely a red herring the front bumper cameras are the most prone.

Remove screws holding flap between wheel well and bumper... push tab on harness that connects to side view camera and disconnect harness. Use hairdryer to remove moisture. Reconnect harness and refasten flap. Repeat for other side. Reconnect and test cameras.
This is after dealer tried to fix 5 times. 4 years in a row. Acts up every time when weather changes. Dealer is giving me excuses after car gets into extended warranty period. Decided to fix it myself instead.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
str86diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Alpine White

I am getting this same error along with one that states "No Parking Assistance, Please park unaided, Parking assistance deactivated due to a temporary external fault"

The dealer has already done software updates and cannot seem to find out what all these errors are about, nor is any code left behind. Going back to the dealer next month to have it looked at again.
      02-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #30
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlwu View Post
It's moisture related. Causing intermittent connections and a short/ overcurrent.

Remove screws holding flap between wheel well and bumper... push tab on harness that connects to side view camera and disconnect harness. Use hairdryer to remove moisture. Reconnect harness and refasten flap. Repeat for other side. Reconnect and test cameras.
This is after dealer tried to fix 5 times. 4 years in a row. Acts up every time when weather changes. Dealer is giving me excuses after car gets into extended warranty period. Decided to fix it myself instead.
Yea - I have replaced all my cameras twice in the past 4 years - now my car is going out of warranty I probably will fix them myself next time.
Thanks for the tip though!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #31
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
Yea - I have replaced all my cameras twice in the past 4 years - now my car is going out of warranty I probably will fix them myself next time.
Thanks for the tip though!
Word of the wise, water proof the two front cameras with Dielectric grease. These two are notorious for water intrusion. The other three are not so bad. The front two will cause shorts if not water proofed.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #32
beholder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328, 2015 X5 35i

My 2013 F30 with 29k miles just started having this issue. Of course it's out of warranty and since all of the camera's work fine IMO it's not worth going to the stealership.

Since i've done quite a bit of coding does anyone know if there are codes available to disable these "malfunction" checks on the cameras similar to how i disabled the light checks for the LED turn signal lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #33
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beholder View Post
My 2013 F30 with 29k miles just started having this issue. Of course it's out of warranty and since all of the camera's work fine IMO it's not worth going to the stealership.

Since i've done quite a bit of coding does anyone know if there are codes available to disable these "malfunction" checks on the cameras similar to how i disabled the light checks for the LED turn signal lights?
Based on experience and your symptoms, odds are one or more of the camera cables are at fault. You can try to remove each connector and use contact cleaner on pins. Also, make sure cable connector sealing rings are in good shape. Consider adding some dielectric grease to the sealing rings to improve ability to keep out moisture.

No way to disable warning messages through coding.
      03-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #34
madscience
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Diesel

Thanks for sharing this information!!

Our 2014 wagon, that we've had since new, started doing this during the damp months a couple of years ago. It goes from side view errors to errors on all cameras.

Last spring the left side view camera stopped showing a picture. At which point I pulled the connector, left it open in dry sunny weather, reconnected it and all was well for a while.

While this winter has been fairly dry, it was damp enough to bring back the warnings.

I just pulled both side view connectors and really only the left one had any visible corrosion, and just on one of the pins.

Disconnecting the front view cameras was enough to stop the others from generating any errors. Further evidence that this likely is just a single bad connection that's causing errors on all the cameras.

The single pin was easy enough to clean up, but given that it's inside an otherwise clean coax connector, I have to wonder if the moisture isn't getting in via the cable itself.

I've put it all back together and added a more than a bit of dialectic grease on the connector seal. If it comes back, I'll dry things out again and will add some heat shrink around the harness leading up the the connector. I'll follow up if/when it comes to that.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #35
NicB.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Had this issue on my new to me 335i. Dealer fixed under CPO warranty by replacing right side camera and the wiring harness. Said there was corrosion in the cable connector. Hopefully it lasts a long time, but if not, I’ll try to clean up the corrosion myself and use a little dielectric grease when refitting. I wonder if regular camera use will help keep corrosion at bay? Not sure.

Cost of the fix stated by dealer was $1,100. Grateful for the warranty in this case!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #36
DerDichter
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328iA MSport Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonlwu View Post

Sir, I salute you. You saved me a trip to the dealer and god knows how much money. I started having this issue on my 2013 328 with 36K miles. I thought shoot. But after reading this post I realized it happened after a heavy snow storm, so I tried what you suggested and fixed it!.

Thanks
Current: 2013 F30 328 M Sport Estorilblau II. W/Everything Except Heated Seats/Wheel; 1999 E36(7) Z3 2.3 Hellrot; 2015 Mini Cooper S 2-door Hatch; 2018 MB V Class Canvasite Blue; 2002 MB C200K Estate Silver
Gone: 2013 MB GLK 350 Silver, 1997 E36 318ti Compact White; 2006 E87 120 Dynamic Titansilber; 2005 Seat Ibiza Yellow; 2001 Focus ZX3 Silver; 1993 Dodge Shadow Sport Red.
Appreciate 0