F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Steps to DIY Remove Fogs on F32/36?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Steps to DIY Remove Fogs on F32/36?

Hi all,

I searched high and low for a stepwise guide for deleting fog lamps from the F32/36 to no avail.

Could someone point me to a thread if one exists, which lists all the steps and parts needed? Or list them in this thread.

I'm guessing I need:
- replacement front grills
- ducts?
- remove the bumper (how? can this be done without removal i.e. via the wheel-well?)
- remove lamps and code, or leave lamps and tuck away/hide.

Cheers.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #2
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 435i Grand Coupe

I think the best way might be to remove the bumper I'm not sure, I would have to take a look. I have to remove my bumper to replace the lower grill because some damn kid threw a rock at my car and busted it up. But while in there I'll take some notes and let you know if it's possible do it through the wheel well.

You will also need the fog light deletes (Right# 51118056494 , Left# 51118056493) and some coding to remove the error codes that will be given for removing the fog lights.

Last edited by arok99; 12-26-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arok99 View Post
I think the best way might be to remove the bumper I'm not sure, I would have to take a look. I have to remove my bumper to replace the lower grill because some damn kid threw a rock at my car and busted it up. But while in there I'll take some notes and let you know if it's possible do it through the wheel well.

You will also need the fog light deletes (Right# 51118056494 , Left# 51118056493) and some coding to remove the error codes that will be given for removing the fog lights.
What's with these damn kids these days?

Appreciate the help mate. I wonder if its possible to just tuck the lamps somewhere in the back rather than remove them (I think I recall reading a post where someone did that).

The other option I'm considering is to just plastidip the lamps over.
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
arok99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 435i Grand Coupe

So I went in last night and tried to find a way to remove the fog lights without removing the bumper and it's not that bad. First you will have to turn your wheels to the left if you are working on the right side or right if you working on the left side. You will have to remove all the screws holding the wheel well to the bumper, might need to also remove the bottom screw as well. Getting them out will be kind of hard unless you have small hands, there's two I think 10mm screws holding it, it's a matter of unscrewing them and popping it out. As far as keeping them in, I do see some room up at the top of the bumper near the horn where you might be able to zip tie them.

Now to remove the vents to replace them that'll be a challenge as the vent next to the fog lights is up against the duct and removing the tabs that hold the vent will be difficult. I'm not sure how you will be able to do that without removing the bumper, you might have to jack the car up remove the bottom fairing and reach in to try and pry the tabs. I don't know I think it's too much effort, removing the bumper is pretty easy in comparison to trying to make it work with the bumper on.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the info mate. I think the vent tabs are similar to the tabs that hold the kidney grills. If so, then one method to release the tabs is to fashion a ‘U’ clip…just take a flat metal strip and bend it sharply, you can then insert it from the outside and pull so that the bent portion depresses the tab. I used this method to remove and replace my kidney grills (I have some pics in another thread if you want).

For now I’ve just plastidipped the lamps over. It conceals them pretty well and gives a cleaner look to the overall bumper. I reckon when I run out of mods and get bored is when I might come back and replace the vents, but for now I’m too lazy .
Appreciate 0