F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any before and after mods requests?
GetBMWParts

02-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2015

Any before and after mods requests?

If anyone is curious. I'm lucky enough to have access to professional video and more importantly audio equipment. I plan to get a before and after of how the engine sounds behind the exhaust AND inside the cabin simultaneously. The benefit to this is the audio will be unaltered and unadjusted unlike most phones/built-in mics. I'll also provide an audio level example such as an iPhone playing a sound on full volume to better understand how loud things are, etc.

2015 335i, F30 N55.
I currently have a BMS intake installed and it already sounds a bit different. I'm going to record how it sounds now then reinstall stock and record that as well.

Further mods:
ER Catless downpipe
VRSF Charge Pipe, 5" FMIC.
Then an MHD Stage 2+ Tune. (Burble settings? I plan to turn them off after testing)

Shot list:
Stock sounds outside and inside car
Intake sounds
After mods and tune

If there's anything else I haven't thought of that you guys would be interested in seeing/hearing, let me know now before I get everything installed on Friday!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

When you say outside the car, do you mean like a mic near the rear bumper, or a flyby shot?

Under hood sound would be interesting
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
When you say outside the car, do you mean like a mic near the rear bumper, or a flyby shot?

Under hood sound would be interesting
I'll be following the basic guidelines per the California law. 20 inches at a slight angle angle right behind the exhaust tip. I have 2 tips and I'm not sure which but the right one seems to blow more air so I'll do that one. (Yes, I have a wind filter sleeve)

Hood open? I can do that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalcoFury View Post
I'll be following the basic guidelines per the California law. 20 inches at a slight angle angle right behind the exhaust tip. I have 2 tips and I'm not sure which but the right one seems to blow more air so I'll do that one. (Yes, I have a wind filter sleeve)

Hood open? I can do that for sure.
So are you measuring dB as well? For stock exhaust the valve is on the driver side, so nothing will be coming out of that when the valve is closed.

Under hood i more meant like having a mic under the hood and then driving around and doing a few pulls/going through the gears. This would obviously mean hood closed, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So are you measuring dB as well? For stock exhaust the valve is on the driver side, so nothing will be coming out of that when the valve is closed.

Under hood i more meant like having a mic under the hood and then driving around and doing a few pulls/going through the gears. This would obviously mean hood closed, lol.
I don't have a decibel reader, but I can show volume levels as they're compared to other everyday sounds.

I'll see what I can do about getting a mic under the hood though, I'll have to run the XLR through the window and mount it in a way that it won't touch anything that gets hot. Perhaps next to the intake, but that would exaggerate those sounds, where do you suggest? I'm not able to look right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalcoFury View Post
I don't have a decibel reader, but I can show volume levels as they're compared to other everyday sounds.

I'll see what I can do about getting a mic under the hood though, I'll have to run the XLR through the window and mount it in a way that it won't touch anything that gets hot. Perhaps next to the intake, but that would exaggerate those sounds, where do you suggest? I'm not able to look right now.
Maybe just on top of the engine cover or something? I don't know really, just would be interested in hearing the DI, intake, turbo, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #7
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Turbo inlet, Turbosmart Bov, Exhaust cam, Milvs
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Turbo inlet, Turbosmart Bov, Exhaust cam, Milvs
Great idea!

I have a couple GoPros so I can only mount 2 at a time but I can definitely do multiple runs. The only restraint is time. I work late today and tomorrow morning I drop my car off. I'll try to Jerry rig some kind of heat shield and mount them but if it seems unsafe I'll have to wait and just do an after shot for those.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sub'd

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Update:
There were delays in getting the parts installed due to an Oil Filter Gasket leak. Nothing serious thankfully and gives me time to get before sounds as well.
There's countless videos of the exhaust so I won't worry too much about that.

I'll run a mic to the turbo inlet, and another one right underneath the hood cover. I won't be able to get video under there though, too much risk putting a GoPro and a light underneath.

I would have to look at the technical docs to figure out where the MILV and Exhuast cams would be unless someone can help with pointing to a good spot for it. For these I'll be using LAV mics which are great at picking up deeper tones, and a boom mic behind the car.

Parts will be installed Wednesday but I may not have time for the After until the weekend. I'll keep you guys updated and thank you for the interest.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

After you do MHD, it would be great to see a video playing around with short burble settings. No one has done that, that I've found. Everyone just makes videos with long/annoying/gunshot burbles, I'd like to know if you can tastefully have just a couple burbles on throttle lift
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
After you do MHD, it would be great to see a video playing around with short burble settings. No one has done that, that I've found. Everyone just makes videos with long/annoying/gunshot burbles, I'd like to know if you can tastefully have just a couple burbles on throttle lift
This is basically stock burble settings. You can leave them unchanged with MHD flash (that's what i did)
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #13
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is basically stock burble settings. You can leave them unchanged with MHD flash (that's what i did)
So even with duration set at minimum it won't do less than stock?
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So even with duration set at minimum it won't do less than stock?
Not sure. I did not change the burble settings at all, so whatever was on there by default is what carried over, and they sound exactly the same as stock and seem to occur in the exact same situations. I have fabspeed catted DP and that was a very marginal change in sound over stock (stock exhaust still), so i get basically 3-5 soft burbles on decel in sport+ (probably sport also). This is with MHD 2+ tune.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure. I did not change the burble settings at all, so whatever was on there by default is what carried over, and they sound exactly the same as stock and seem to occur in the exact same situations. I have fabspeed catted DP and that was a very marginal change in sound over stock (stock exhaust still), so i get basically 3-5 soft burbles on decel in sport+ (probably sport also). This is with MHD 2+ tune.
Okay yeah that's what I'm wondering about, if you turn the sliders way down, can you have say 2 burbles shoot out and that's it? You should try it and let us know
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 12:59 PM   #16
FalcoFury
Big dumb dumb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay yeah that's what I'm wondering about, if you turn the sliders way down, can you have say 2 burbles shoot out and that's it? You should try it and let us know
When I get the parts installed and get the MHD Stage 2+ tune on I'll get clips with burble settings off first. Then I'll probably spend a few hours testing all the settings at different RPMs, duration, aggressiveness, etc.

Ultimately I plan to have it off completely because after installing a BMS intake, I'm hearing decel burbles already in Sport mode. It will be fun to see what settings combinations sound like what though.
Appreciate 0