F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Learning my new F30 335i
GetBMWParts

06-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Learning my new F30 335i

Hey folks! So I am a new member here on the forums. Recently sold my Tacoma and CBR1000RR to purcahse my first home. Though I wanted to save all my money, I needed a vehicle to get around in. Came across a really good deal on this F30 335i that I absolutely love!

I am actually looking to upgrade my suspension down the road, or basically when someone has a nice set of suspension for sale here on the forums. However, I kind of need to be educated on my vehicle.

I believe my car comes with EDC, but I am not sure. I thought it's because I could select driving modes but based on what I have read on the forums, that's not true. Driving mode is just driving mode. I have ran my VIN# (NP37971) and this shows up (Please see attachments)

Does this confirm my EDC suspension? If not, what do I need to visually inspect for?

If I do have EDC, do I need to look at coilovers that are only EDC compatible or can I look at coilovers that aren't EDC compatible as well?

Part of me loves how the car feels now but I would love to see the stance of the car when it's briefly lowered on quality coilovers. I'm sure I won't lose too much of the comfort (I hope). Here are some pictures of the car and previous setup I had. I also previously owned an E46 M3 but my favorite was definitely my truck and motorcycle.
Attached Images

Last edited by itsrichierich; 06-19-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congrats and welcome!

The pictures did not appear for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Congrats and welcome!

The pictures did not appear for some reason.
I guess I have to find a image host.

Edited the original post to have attachments.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

S2VF is the right option code for M Adaptive suspension. To verify if you have M Adaptive suspension:

- Sport / Comfort selector will make the suspension stiffer if Sport has been selected
- Turn the front wheels and look for a wire originating from the middle of the shock tower. if present, your vehicle has M Adaptive suspension (aka EDC)

PS. Nice 403M wheels!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
S2VF is the right option code for M Adaptive suspension. To verify if you have M Adaptive suspension:

- Sport / Comfort selector will make the suspension stiffer if Sport has been selected
- Turn the front wheels and look for a wire originating from the middle of the shock tower. if present, your vehicle has M Adaptive suspension (aka EDC)

PS. Nice 403M wheels!
I just went out and took this picture. Looks like there's a big sensor connecting to the strut. Looks like I have EDC.

Now, I can only shop for suspension that is EDC compatible? Kind of confused because I see coilover kits that are both EDC and non-EDC compatible but then people say I will need EDC delete even though the coilovers are EDC compatible.

Thanks, pretty nice wheels!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Yup, you have EDC.

You can put a passive suspension on your car, just have to program out EDC and disconnect the module. That's what I did.

Also, since you have a RWD vehicle you'll need to buy a second "left/driver's side" end link since passive RWD setups include two left struts designed to use two left end links, while RWD EDC has L/R specific struts and end links.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive

Lol, even though it might be tempting, since you're trying to save money don't go on an f30 spending spree! Parts are expensiveeeee
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Yup, you have EDC.

You can put a passive suspension on your car, just have to program out EDC and disconnect the module. That's what I did.

Also, since you have a RWD vehicle you'll need to buy a second "left/driver's side" end link since passive RWD setups include two left struts designed to use two left end links, while RWD EDC has L/R specific struts and end links.
you can also do lowering springs paired with Dinan shockware to retain the EDC.
      06-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Yup, you have EDC.

Thanks for that.

When you say passive, do you meaa a different spring or strut? Sorry, totally new to this F30 model so I am trying to absorb as much as I can.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mportd.f32 View Post
Lol, even though it might be tempting, since you're trying to save money don't go on an f30 spending spree! Parts are expensiveeeee
Almost too late. However, I did sell a lot of spare parts from my truck and bike which I am putting towards the car haha. I have to find used suspension though, cannot justify new suspension and wheels right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Growing up (around the Honda scene), I was always told that lowering springs were the cheap way out and possible blow out the struts overtime. Is this still true? If it is, I might as well get coilovers instead of having to repeat the installation process twice.
Appreciate 1
mgc999115.00
      06-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #11
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Quote:
Almost too late. However, I did sell a lot of spare parts from my truck and bike which I am putting towards the car haha. I have to find used suspension though, cannot justify new suspension and wheels right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Growing up (around the Honda scene), I was always told that lowering springs were the cheap way out and possible blow out the struts overtime. Is this still true? If it is, I might as well get coilovers instead of having to repeat the installation process twice.
From what I heard lowering springs are a great option. Im planning to get them once I get my job back in a few weeks. Dont know if your car has it, but Im also not thrilled about dealing with adaptive suspension if I got new coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Before making a recommendation, what is your budget for the suspension improvement project?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
From what I heard lowering springs are a great option. Im planning to get them once I get my job back in a few weeks. Dont know if your car has it, but Im also not thrilled about dealing with adaptive suspension if I got new coilovers.
I'm trying to find out more on the Dinan lowering springs with Shockware as that would be a great alternative to spending $$$ on coilovers.

Quote:
Before making a recommendation, what is your budget for the suspension improvement project?
Well, I don't want to buy brand new, I will say that. But anywhere between $800 to $1,500? Depending on brand/model. The lower the price, the better. But anything that is a good deal than I am all for it, especially if I can sell it back for what I paid.

Right now the 3 brands are Bilstein, KW and Ohlins. Ohlins is way out of budget but again, ideally looking for a used set. I truly enjoy the car in it's current state (I drive around in comfort). But I do want to improve the stance and give it a little more umph. I might track the car at Chuckwalla but the car will mainly be a daily. So I definitely don't want to get rid of the comfort-ability aspect.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #14
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to find out more on the Dinan lowering springs with Shockware as that would be a great alternative to spending $$$ on coilovers.

Well, I don't want to buy brand new, I will say that. But anywhere between $800 to $1,500? Depending on brand/model. The lower the price, the better. But anything that is a good deal than I am all for it, especially if I can sell it back for what I paid.

Right now the 3 brands are Bilstein, KW and Ohlins. Ohlins is way out of budget but again, ideally looking for a used set. I truly enjoy the car in it's current state (I drive around in comfort). But I do want to improve the stance and give it a little more umph. I might track the car at Chuckwalla but the car will mainly be a daily. So I definitely don't want to get rid of the comfort-ability aspect.
Dinan is a good option, H&R lowers the car more. And also for coilovers I have been hearing that bilsteins have parts that wear out quickly, for KW I hear that they have quality products, one of my friends with an orange 435i runs them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #15
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for that.

When you say passive, do you meaa a different spring or strut? Sorry, totally new to this F30 model so I am trying to absorb as much as I can.
Passive means not electronically adjustable damping (EDC). So since you have EDC, your current dampers are "active."

Quote:
And also for coilovers I have been hearing that bilsteins have parts that wear out quickly
I disagree with this. The only thing that I've seen that can wear more quickly than others are the bump stops if you run the front perches at the minimum height on the strut bodies.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Glad to see FaRKle! on this thread. He's like an F3x suspension guru!

You mentioned not wanting to lose a lot of the comfort, obviously there will always be a trade off, but from what I hear, KW StreetComfort coilovers are a good compromise. You'd just have to do an EDC delete.

I can't speak to options for keeping the adaptive suspension as I have a static setup.
      06-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #17
mgc9991
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Passive means not electronically adjustable damping (EDC). So since you have EDC, your current dampers are "active."

I disagree with this. The only thing that I've seen that can wear more quickly than others are the bump stops if you run the front perches at the minimum height on the strut bodies.
Ah, everything I heard is hearsay so good to hear from someone who is experienced.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Ah, everything I heard is hearsay so good to hear from someone who is experienced.
Bilstein is very good. Been using them since 2002/e21 days, and have met many people there when they were in san diego on rehco blvd. Just good quality stuff, and not just my car stuff, but I think they made custom stuff for my buddy's truck racing stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
Dinan is a good option, H&R lowers the car more. And also for coilovers I have been hearing that bilsteins have parts that wear out quickly, for KW I hear that they have quality products, one of my friends with an orange 435i runs them.
Dinan would probably be my go to if I decide to go this route. Lowering springs and shockware. But as stated, I feel like that's the "easy" way out.

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Glad to see FaRKle! on this thread. He's like an F3x suspension guru!

You mentioned not wanting to lose a lot of the comfort, obviously there will always be a trade off, but from what I hear, KW StreetComfort coilovers are a good compromise. You'd just have to do an EDC delete.

I can't speak to options for keeping the adaptive suspension as I have a static setup.
Yea that I understand, it will never be OEM but I will gain other perks else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Bilstein is very good. Been using them since 2002/e21 days, and have met many people there when they were in san diego on rehco blvd. Just good quality stuff, and not just my car stuff, but I think they made custom stuff for my buddy's truck racing stuff.
What model Bilstein are you using currently?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #20
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Welcome to the F30! I am on my second one and have done a few suspensions. My current car has edc and I did a set of used M3 springs and new M3 bump stops. It lowered minimally from the msport height but rides really nice. Slight improvement in handling and while in comfort the family doesn't notice so it's a win for me. I have a set of eibach springs in the garage that I'll swap on for the M3 springs at some point when I get bored and want it a bit lower. They are only a 1" drop and the spring rates are between msport and m3 so I won't lose comfort over my current set up. And they should work well with the factory edc settings. Dinan shockware is intriguing but I don't know that I want to drive around in what is the current sport setting all the time. It would be great if the shockware set up was in between factory and sport comfort for the new comfort. But that's just me I guess. Many like the shockware and it's not expensive.

On my previous f30 I had passive suspension so I went with the bmw m performance full suspension kit. It was great kit and came with literally everything you need to build a full set up off the car and swap it without the hassle of taking struts apart. No need to reuse stuff like top mounts and bolts, etc. It handled great and was pretty good on the street. Definitely stiffer than the factory sport set up, but with the springs and dampers matched it wasn't harsh.

If I were you I would read some of Farkle's threads on suspension. Dude has done his homework and then some, and is a great resource. Then try some spring setups to see if it works for your needs. If you can wrench yourself, the costs are not high at around $200-300 a set. The factory edc shocks seem to be a better starting point than the passive shocks so you may be surprised and find coil overs are not necessary.

Btw, sliver msport looks awesome. It was my second choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #21
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Is there a thread somewhere that lists the amount of lowering for each spring out there? I drive a 435i gran coupe Msport with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #22
Sag_mac
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:

PS. Nice 403M wheels!
Sorry, does this mean you must have the EDC if you get the S2VF?
Appreciate 0