F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Sport Springs
proTUNING Freaks

12-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
dthahn
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Dinan Sport Springs

Just had the Dinan springs installed with 3/4 inch drop. I attached some pictures so others could see how it looks. I love the look!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
VP_5675.50
      12-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
71velle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 bmw

how is the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
VP_56
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i RWD

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Looks nice. Drop looks perfect
      12-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
Sigge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d xDrive 2016

Are thoose 18" or 19" wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
smak168
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i xdrive GC

Perfect drop...low enough to be noticed and to tighten up the handling but not slammed. Matches well with 437M wheels. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
dthahn
Rep

Thanks for the feedback! My wheels are 19 inches 437 M wheels. The ride is surprisingly comfortable. I don't notice a difference between stock springs and the Dinan springs.

I purchased the road handling kit as well but my mechanic told me they weren't needed and did not install them. I am very happy with the overall ride and handling. I do have the M sports line of the 335I so that might be one reason I did not need the road handling kit and drop looking pretty low.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:54 AM   #7
Cire22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i m sport

Stock struts?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthahn View Post
Thanks for the feedback! My wheels are 19 inches 437 M wheels. The ride is surprisingly comfortable. I don't notice a difference between stock springs and the Dinan springs.

I purchased the road handling kit as well but my mechanic told me they weren't needed and did not install them. I am very happy with the overall ride and handling. I do have the M sports line of the 335I so that might be one reason I did not need the road handling kit and drop looking pretty low.
This has been my experience as well. The drop is perfect and the ride quality is fantastic. Coming out of several lowered cars in the past that were ridiculously harsh and crashing over every bump I was really concerned about ride quality but the Dinans have exceeded my expectations. I did install the new bump stops and am on OE dampers per the recommendation of the Dinan dealer here. Sorry for the crappy picture and winter wheels
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dthahn17.00
      12-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #9
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
Quote:

This has been my experience as well. The drop is perfect and the ride quality is fantastic. Coming out of several lowered cars in the past that were ridiculously harsh and crashing over every bump I was really concerned about ride quality but the Dinans have exceeded my expectations. I did install the new bump stops and am on OE dampers per the recommendation of the Dinan dealer here. Sorry for the crappy picture and winter wheels
Dinan actually reccomends that these springs are paired with Koni yellow struts and shocks. I initially ran them on stock shocks and struts and it rode like shit, ride on the koni yellows is 10x better.
      12-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
My F36 is pretty rough on stock msport suspenion. I can't image what losing 3/4" would feel like. Looks good though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The Dinan ride handling kit (or alternate BMW bumpstops) should be used with their lowering springs. On our cars, the bumpstops are designed to closely work with the springs to achieve the targeted suspension characteristics. Our bumpstops actively engage with the springs in normal travel - not like the old independent type that were just there to absorb an extreme bottom-out.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #12
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Dinan actually reccomends that these springs are paired with Koni yellow struts and shocks. I initially ran them on stock shocks and struts and it rode like shit, ride on the koni yellows is 10x better.
Both the Dinan site and Dinan dealer here indicate you can use OEM. You can obviously also use the Konis they (and others) sell but my car had pretty low miles with the OEM so I stuck with them. The ride quality is fantastic. When they wear out I may upgrade to the Koni.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Both the Dinan site and Dinan dealer here indicate you can use OEM. You can obviously also use the Konis they (and others) sell but my car had pretty low miles with the OEM so I stuck with them. The ride quality is fantastic. When they wear out I may upgrade to the Koni.
Weird I could have swore they stated on their website that the koni yellows are recommended which is also why they sell them right off their website and pre-adjust them to match the dinan spring rates.
      12-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #14
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Weird I could have swore they stated on their website that the koni yellows are recommended which is also why they sell them right off their website and pre-adjust them to match the dinan spring rates.
I just went back to their site and this is what it says on the springs:

"Compatible with both conventional and factory electronic shocks"

And here is what it says about the Konis:

"Koni struts and shocks are the industry leader for user adjustable damping for daily drivers to weekend warriors. Koni's familiar yellow color has for decades meant superior motion control and adjustability for the discerning driving enthusiast. Dinan has pre-adjusted these struts to exacting specifications for use with Dinan springs and handling kit. Struts may be externally adjusted using provided Koni knob."

The way I read this is you can use the springs with your OEM struts. If you choose to upgrade to the Konis, they will adjust them to the setting they recommend for use with their springs.

Of interest to me, they dont sell the rear shocks (I know you can get them elsewhere). I have read that Dinan has said they few the OEM rear shocks are sufficient even if you choose to upgrade to the Koni struts.

In my case, the shocks and struts had very low miles and I went with the recommendations to just use them. I had Konis on a previous car and they were much too firm for my taste. The ride quality with the OEMs is perfect for me right now. When it's time to replace my current shocks and struts, I will make a decision on whether I want to upgrade to the Koni yellows. Alternatively, I am hoping someone has tried the red FSDs by then with Dinan lowering springs and can tell if they will work with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #15
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"Koni struts and shocks are the industry leader for user adjustable damping for daily drivers to weekend warriors. Koni's familiar yellow color has for decades meant superior motion control and adjustability for the discerning driving enthusiast. Dinan has pre-adjusted these struts to exacting specifications for use with Dinan springs and handling kit. Struts may be externally adjusted using provided Koni knob."

The way I read this is you can use the springs with your OEM struts. If you choose to upgrade to the Konis, they will adjust them to the setting they recommend for use with their springs.

Of interest to me, they dont sell the rear shocks (I know you can get them elsewhere). I have read that Dinan has said they few the OEM rear shocks are sufficient even if you choose to upgrade to the Koni struts.

In my case, the shocks and struts had very low miles and I went with the recommendations to just use them. I had Konis on a previous car and they were much too firm for my taste. The ride quality with the OEMs is perfect for me right now. When it's time to replace my current shocks and struts, I will make a decision on whether I want to upgrade to the Koni yellows. Alternatively, I am hoping someone has tried the red FSDs by then with Dinan lowering springs and can tell if they will work with them.
Meh they just might be out of stock, the stock rear shocks on f30 are a joke and 10x worse on lowering springs car rides like crap and wollows terribly and just a garbage bouncy ride I think u r only trying convince yourself at this point that it's not that bad lol! Skip the koni fsd and get the yellows that are actually designed for lowering springs.
      12-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #16
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Meh they just might be out of stock, the stock rear shocks on f30 are a joke and 10x worse on lowering springs car rides like crap and wollows terribly and just a garbage bouncy ride I think u r only trying convince yourself at this point that it's not that bad lol! Skip the koni fsd and get the yellows that are actually designed for lowering springs.
Haha, ok bro. No need to convince myself. I installed them and am quite happy with my set up. Not sure why it matters to you but whatever.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #17
SlowF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i

I think he's mostly trying to give you good advice. The springs would ride better with a set of koni's or B8's .
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #18
dthahn
Rep

It looks like some owners have had ride handling issues with just getting lowering springs without new shocks or struts.

I have stock shocks and struts and am pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the ride is as I have previously stated. I barely notice any difference between the Dinan springs and the stock springs.

My mechanic mentioned that having the M sport model helps with that but he did not say anything about longer term ride handling issues. If the ride quality starts to deteriorate then I will have to look into replacing the shocks and struts.

I do not know enough about these cars to understand what could be causing other owners to have ride handling issues.

I strongly recommend the Dinan sport springs though!!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #19
Kamoliddin
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (f30)

Another option is Eibach. Especially, if you have xDrive, Dinan does not drop enough, while Eibach offers two different spring options. I went with the RWD Eibach option on my xDrive F30, because it offers the most drop. I did use Dinan bump stops though.

Last edited by Kamoliddin; 02-09-2021 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 02:46 AM   #20
F30Manny81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335xi

Just finished mine earlier tonight... She looks a bit lower in the rear to me. But I love the improved feel of the car!! Dinan sport springs
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bigdnno98288.00
dthahn17.00
      01-09-2021, 02:49 AM   #21
F30Manny81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335xi

Comparison pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 2