F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > US F30 OEM Adaptive Xenon Retrofit DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

04-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #111
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Actually, I believe the Xenon lights all come with the levelers, regardless of if they are adaptive or not. This is evidenced by looking at the coding changes made by adding VO option 522(Xenon Lights), which includes changes that enable the levelers. Nothing in the changes for Option 524 that I have seen had anything to do with the levelers. Additionally, if you look at the front axle suspension on RealOEM, it lists the levelers as "For vehicles with Xenon Light (S522A=Yes) or Adaptive LED headlight (S552A=Yes)."

The only difference in the adaptive Xenons is the housing and the control module. So either way, you would need the levelers unless you just code it to disable them.
i did not know that, i guess i will just disable it all together.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #112
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

is the drivers module only used to control the adaptive function? so technically without it the xenons would still illuminate and the halos and top eyebrow strip will still light up?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #113
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor_ki View Post
is the drivers module only used to control the adaptive function? so technically without it the xenons would still illuminate and the halos and top eyebrow strip will still light up?
Nope, all Xenon's have the Control Module, it's just a different part # for the adaptive ones. What exactly it does, I'm not 100% sure...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #114
slasheer
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello,

I'm just after getting my headlights done. Connected everything and tried to code the headlights. Overall they are on during turning the car on, however my lights are not turning with the wheel turn and i dont know what might be the issue. I had some problem with coding though but maybe someone could help me out,

LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03
C_FLC_ENA = F030disable (LWR, Leveling sensor)- FOUND/ CHANGED
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable (Light Distribution) -- FOUND / changed
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable (AHL) -- could not find
C_CLC_ENA = F030enabl (Cornering light) -- could not find

Any ideas why i could not find it in my system even though i addeed 522 and 524 ?

Some pics maybe gonna be helpful for DIY

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #115
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I completed the retrofit tonight, however I still need to do the coding. But the lights all work as they should

I struggled in getting the bumper snug up against the car, mainly in terms of having the area above the grills fall not quite as rearward as I recall it doing originally. I think my issue was the alignment below the headlight, I'm not entirely clear on how the bumper is supposed to slot in.

I think I got it in the right place and everything went together, but now I notice that the driver's side section above the light seems pulled towards the light more than before, of course this is noticeable in the alignment with the hood. Can anyone offer any insight into what might cause that? I'd hate to have to take it all apart again, but I might need to.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #116
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I need some help with this. The coding guides are vague enough and perhaps E-Sys has changed enough where I'm not entirely sure that I'm VO coding correctly.

Writing the FA seems to work as indicated in a small block of text at the lower left of the window, but in my mind it should take longer and/or be accompanied by a loading bar.

I searched on that and understand that I need to write the FA then load it in the Coding module and then code it to the car, so I did that. I can see 522 and 524 in the VO.

I'm still getting alerts for adaptive headlights failure when I turn on the ignition. The low beams, high beams, and parking lights all work.

The driver's side (US) headlight does a functional test of the adaptive motion when I turn it on, the passenger side does not.

The passenger side DRL is also noticeably dimmer than the driver's, and when I turn the car off and even lock it, the passenger DRL stays lit!!! What is going on???

When I turn the ignition off, I get alerts for high beam failure left and right, and parking light failure.

Please someone help me out here. Could all this be a result of a wiring mistake? I'll have to double check everything.

Last edited by S4NoMore; 05-01-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #117
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

I am not sure what your issue might be. Coding is pretty straight forward if you follow what the DIY says.

Slasheer: I am not sure why you are doing any individual coding. All that is necessary is to do the VO codes and that is it unless you want to disable the autolevelers which is just one code change.

The guide is comprehensive and is proven to work. If it is not working for your setups. Double check you have all the correct required parts, double check the wiring is done correctly and making good contact, and lastly double check the coding that you did it correctly. Those are the only 3 things that be causing an issue. Of course you could have a faulty part that you bought.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #118
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd
I am not sure what your issue might be. Coding is pretty straight forward if you follow what the DIY says.

Slasheer: I am not sure why you are doing any individual coding. All that is necessary is to do the VO codes and that is it unless you want to disable the autolevelers which is just one code change.

The guide is comprehensive and is proven to work. If it is not working for your setups. Double check you have all the correct required parts, double check the wiring is done correctly and making good contact, and lastly double check the coding that you did it correctly. Those are the only 3 things that be causing an issue. Of course you could have a faulty part that you bought.
I'm going to go through my wiring again to make sure.

I bought a new module (prices have come down), and while it did solve the issue of the one side's DRL (rings) staying on for several minutes after turning off the car, I still have the adaptive headlight failure fault, with no startup motion or rings lit on that side.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #119
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Would there be any extra step with a brand new control module? It seems to do absolutely nothing, while the other used module I have works in both headlights, activating the DRLs and the startup low beam motion check. I'm baffled. Is it possible that a new module needs to be coded in some different manner?

Edit: I was reminded that I never actually re-VO-coded the FEM after putting in the new module. Went through it again after adding 524 and I have success. Thanks again for the writeup!

Last edited by S4NoMore; 05-13-2015 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #120
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Would there be any extra step with a brand new control module? It seems to do absolutely nothing, while the other used module I have works in both headlights, activating the DRLs and the startup low beam motion check. I'm baffled. Is it possible that a new module needs to be coded in some different manner?

Edit: I was reminded that I never actually re-VO-coded the FEM after putting in the new module. Went through it again after adding 524 and I have success. Thanks again for the writeup!

awesome, enjoy the lights!

Everyone: the DIY has been proven multiple times. if your retrofit doesn't work, just go through and verify everything again.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #121
nintend80
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320

Guys I used on my f30 320 this DIY and it worked very well. I'm in south California however need help feel free to contact me. I installed the xenon OEM non adaptive and it work well too.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #122
MisterZebb
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MSport

can you please share what part numbers you used?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #123
.one lane
Rep
Drives: 320i

Just picked up a set of xenon headlights. Hoping to start the retrofit soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #124
fandangofeng
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintend80 View Post
Guys I used on my f30 320 this DIY and it worked very well. I'm in south California however need help feel free to contact me. I installed the xenon OEM non adaptive and it work well too.
I have an F30 328 and I'm looking to perform this retrofit. How much did the parts cost you?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #125
everywill
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90, R56, F30

Hi OP,

How is your auto levelling? It's mandatory in the EU, so I wanna make sure it gonna work before start.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #126
BeatB
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

The lighting washers are also mandatory in the eu. Is it easy to replace, anyone had experience with that?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #127
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Hey guys, I have a few questions to OP or anyone who has completed this retrofit...

1. From what I've read, this write-up seems to be legit and has a lot of positive feedback. I'm pretty confident I can remove/install the headlights and code them, but I'm not sure about the wiring... I don't have any experience in wiring; will the instructions be enough to get me through on my own, or should I have some kind of background knowledge about this stuff?

2. I know OP said equal to or less than 2 hours install time, not including the level sensors... is that accurate?

3. If I can get my hands on an OEM kit that's already assembled (not including the level sensors), are there any parts or steps that I can omit? (screws, grommets, etc.)

4. Lastly... am I correct in assuming the level sensors aren't required for the headlights to function? That's only if I want the auto-leveling feature, right?

Thanks guys!
      09-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #128
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserkatzen View Post
I successfully retrofitted Xenon lights to my 2014 328xi yesterday. I added 522 and 524 then VO coded FEM_BODY. I then disabled C_FLC_ENA since I don't plan to retrofit the leveling sensors.

Everything appears to work fine except I'm noticing something odd with the light distribution on the passenger headlight. When I turn the car on, it does it's pre-check of both headlights. The driver's side then goes to the left while the passenger side stays straight. If I turn the wheel all the way to the right, the passenger side does turn as far as it can go so I don't think it's a hardware issue. When I drive above 30 mph, the driver's side then goes straight but of course the passenger's side is already straight. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong? I would expect both lights to go out to the side under 30 mph and both to go straight above 30 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haledm View Post
kapkanimd

I just finished the retrofit on my '13 328. couple nuances and perhaps you can help me sort out the bugs.

after the install and completing the SW coding the adaptive is behaving oddly.

When in neutral or Drive the left headlight moves all the way to the left(i.e. will blind oncoming traffic). When I put in Reverse the light re-centers.

Any thoughts on the issue?
Hey guys, did you ever figure out this issue? I followed DIY as well (w/out level sensors) and am experiencing this too. I know OP said it was normal behavior, but I don't think it is. When I start the car, passenger headlight will swoop down and back up, driver headlight will swivel to the left and stay put. When I turn the wheels to the right, the passenger will swivel right, and driver headlight will swivel the center, no further. When I turn the wheels to the left, neither headlight will move at all (obviously the left headlight will not go any further left since it is already swiveled left from the start). The only times they will both point straight forward is when the car is in reverse, high beams are on, or when headlight switch is OFF/Manual (non-adaptive). I don't think this is normal, since the headlights will not straighten out, no matter what speed I'm driving. I'm convinced it has to be something to do with the FEM wiring, but I'm not sure. Also, I have no error codes at all. Any thoughts?
      09-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #129
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserkatzen View Post
I successfully retrofitted Xenon lights to my 2014 328xi yesterday. I added 522 and 524 then VO coded FEM_BODY. I then disabled C_FLC_ENA since I don't plan to retrofit the leveling sensors.

Everything appears to work fine except I'm noticing something odd with the light distribution on the passenger headlight. When I turn the car on, it does it's pre-check of both headlights. The driver's side then goes to the left while the passenger side stays straight. If I turn the wheel all the way to the right, the passenger side does turn as far as it can go so I don't think it's a hardware issue. When I drive above 30 mph, the driver's side then goes straight but of course the passenger's side is already straight. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong? I would expect both lights to go out to the side under 30 mph and both to go straight above 30 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haledm View Post
kapkanimd

I just finished the retrofit on my '13 328. couple nuances and perhaps you can help me sort out the bugs.

after the install and completing the SW coding the adaptive is behaving oddly.

When in neutral or Drive the left headlight moves all the way to the left(i.e. will blind oncoming traffic). When I put in Reverse the light re-centers.

Any thoughts on the issue?
Hey guys, did you ever figure out this issue? I followed DIY as well (w/out level sensors) and am experiencing this too. I know OP said it was normal behavior, but I don't think it is. When I start the car, passenger headlight will swoop down and back up, driver headlight will swivel to the left and stay put. When I turn the wheels to the right, the passenger will swivel right, and driver headlight will swivel the center, no further. When I turn the wheels to the left, neither headlight will move at all (obviously the left headlight will not go any further left since it is already swiveled left from the start). The only times they will both point straight forward is when the car is in reverse, high beams are on, or when headlight switch is OFF/Manual (non-adaptive). I don't think this is normal, since the headlights will not straighten out, no matter what speed I'm driving. I'm convinced it has to be something to do with the FEM wiring, but I'm not sure. Also, I have no error codes at all. Any thoughts?
The behavior you mention is very reminiscent of the feature called variable light distribution or VLD. It works great for me but it straightens out as the speed increases and reaches further out at higher speeds. It also has a different pattern if the fog lamps are turned on. I am curious to see what you find as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #130
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
The behavior you mention is very reminiscent of the feature called variable light distribution or VLD. It works great for me but it straightens out as the speed increases and reaches further out at higher speeds. It also has a different pattern if the fog lamps are turned on. I am curious to see what you find as well.
Hmm, well now that you mentioned that, I googled and read a little bit about BMW's Variable Light Distribution. I didn't know that the driver's side adaptive headlight was supposed to point more to the left to illuminate the other side of the road, I've never heard of/seen that on any car before. In any case, I'm pretty sure my driver's side headlight does not straighten out at any speed, but I'll have to take a test drive tonight to confirm.

It would make sense to me if both headlights were to point slightly outwards at low speeds and straighten out over faster speeds, but for the passenger headlight to point straight forward while the driver's side points all the way to left as far as it will go, just doesn't seem right to me.

When I received the headlights, they were both swiveled to the far right (meaning the seller probably had his wheels turned to the right before uninstalling), so I know they're both physically capable of pointing to the right simultaneously, but now that I have them installed on my vehicle, the driver's side will not reach the right at all. I may try to fiddle with the FEM wiring some more, but other than that, I'm stumped
      09-24-2015, 02:35 PM   #131
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

I am sure you already read this piece by shawnsheridan but just wanted to put it up in case.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12° horizontal from center and 0.7° lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8° horizontal from center and lowered 0.7° vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5° outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25° vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2° vertical)"
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #132
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabreigns View Post
I am sure you already read this piece by shawnsheridan but just wanted to put it up in case.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12° horizontal from center and 0.7° lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8° horizontal from center and lowered 0.7° vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5° outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25° vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2° vertical)"
Hey Gabreigns, did you retrofit the headlights as well, or did your F31 come standard with the adaptive xenon?