F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BigBoost BOV kit?
proTUNING Freaks

11-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

BigBoost BOV kit?

Does anyone have the big boost bov kit for their b58's? Looking to hear a sound clip, would appreciate it!
      11-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
i'm also curious if they could do a version for recirc, or at least partly so. I just hate the compressor surge I get sometimes, and can't imagine it's going to get better when I upgrade the turbo next year.
      11-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinalth View Post
i'm also curious if they could do a version for recirc, or at least partly so. I just hate the compressor surge I get sometimes, and can't imagine it's going to get better when I upgrade the turbo next year.
Hm I'm not entirely sure. Which turbo are you going with?
      11-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #4
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I've been back and forth. I was originally going Vargas GC, but kept thinking I might want more. so, I'm probably either going pure 800 or CTS, depending on what the CTS option actually turns out to be. still so vague. But either way I'd get the BOV system first since I'm already getting compressor surge even on stock turbo. I'm not familiar enough with how the engine system manages air/fuel so I'm curious if a BOV will make the engine run rich due to loss of already metered air or if it won't care due to running something like speed density or purely based on MAP and know VE. if the latter two then VTA is just fine and recirc is not needed.... but if otherwise, i'd like to replumb to make sure all is well. this was made originally for the BB kit, which already deletes the MAF to my knowledge.
      11-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been back and forth. I was originally going Vargas GC, but kept thinking I might want more. so, I'm probably either going pure 800 or CTS, depending on what the CTS option actually turns out to be. still so vague. But either way I'd get the BOV system first since I'm already getting compressor surge even on stock turbo. I'm not familiar enough with how the engine system manages air/fuel so I'm curious if a BOV will make the engine run rich due to loss of already metered air or if it won't care due to running something like speed density or purely based on MAP and know VE. if the latter two then VTA is just fine and recirc is not needed.... but if otherwise, i'd like to replumb to make sure all is well. this was made originally for the BB kit, which already deletes the MAF to my knowledge.
That seems to make sense. Well I actually do have the bov kit currently installed. Only problem is I installed a clutch the same day haha so I can't go WOT yet. I just thought it was still a bit quiet even though I am going like 50% throttle under 4K rpm on a 93 map so I'm only really hitting 4lb of boost under those conditions. But but once I go WOT, after maybe 250-300 miles of breaking in the clutch, I will post a review. I also have a GC turbo coming in which should get installed in a couple weeks so we'll see what my tuner has to say about the bov and afr
      11-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #6
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca10 View Post
That seems to make sense. Well I actually do have the bov kit currently installed. Only problem is I installed a clutch the same day haha so I can't go WOT yet. I just thought it was still a bit quiet even though I am going like 50% throttle under 4K rpm on a 93 map so I'm only really hitting 4lb of boost under those conditions. But but once I go WOT, after maybe 250-300 miles of breaking in the clutch, I will post a review. I also have a GC turbo coming in which should get installed in a couple weeks so we'll see what my tuner has to say about the bov and afr
Do you have the big boost bov installed on a stock turbo set up? * just asking seeing as they say that it can be installed with a stock turbo set up *
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #7
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Did the GC+ from Vargas turbo not seem like a good fit?
*again just picking your brain, Vargas gc/gc+ seem to be the best budget cost turbos for this b58 system as of yet, and the GC+ is rated at ~850whp*
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
eritF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

Not sure how they retrofit this into a stock setup,interesting to see the design
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss340 View Post
Quote:
Did the GC+ from Vargas turbo not seem like a good fit?
*again just picking your brain, Vargas gc/gc+ seem to be the best budget cost turbos for this b58 system as of yet, and the GC+ is rated at ~850whp*
Regarding the stock turbo fit, yes it's on a stock turbo right now. It's simply a bov welded onto the top half of the charge pipe. Once my clutch brakes in, I will upload videos, for now I will include a picture of where it is.

Also, regarding the GC, I currently have the TU pump. If I wanted to put the GC+ to work, I would have to upgrade to dorch stage 2 or FX 150/180 which would run me another $1500 for that. Also my car is a manual and the clutch I installed is the 335is/550i clutch which I picked up for $270 from FCP, which should hold up to 600whp. If I was doing GC+ I'd have to get a better Clutch which could run me $700/$800. Also keep in mind, our stock motors typically can handled 650whp, some people are pushing to 700whp.

So from my perspective, spending $1200 (Black Friday sale) for the GC with my current setup to achieve 570/580whp is a better bang for my buck vs spending an extra $1500 (hpfp) + $500 (better clutch vs 335is), + $2200 (for GC+) which equals roughly $4200 for 650whp.

But it's all preference and what your willing to spend, it just didn't make too much sense in my current position, for what I use the car for. I can always add meth injection and get the car pushing 600whp in the near future if I wanted to
      11-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eritF30 View Post
Not sure how they retrofit this into a stock setup,interesting to see the design
Here's the pic. As mentioned, bigboost essentially welded the bov onto the upper half of the charge pipe.
Attached Images

11-29-2020, 01:05 AM   #11
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's the pic. As mentioned, bigboost essentially welded the bov onto the upper half of the charge pipe.
Looks good! How was installing it? Did you do the install yourself?
I have a wastegate rattling issue with the stock one. I’ve been told that replacing my stock one is the only option.
Spending a few hundred extra to get a bov sounds pretty promising at this point. Seeing as you’re the only one on the forums that has it installed, please explain your experience with everything in detail haha.
Running bm3? Notice a difference? Pros and cons as of yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looks good! How was installing it? Did you do the install yourself?
I have a wastegate rattling issue with the stock one. I’ve been told that replacing my stock one is the only option.
Spending a few hundred extra to get a bov sounds pretty promising at this point. Seeing as you’re the only one on the forums that has it installed, please explain your experience with everything in detail haha.
Running bm3? Notice a difference? Pros and cons as of yet?
So the install was a bit tricky. I originally tried getting installed at the shop at first but for some reason it was not fitting on correctly because it was touching the timing belt. My guy told me I needed a throttle body spacer to have it fitted and give it enough clearance so it doesn't touch the belt.

I spoke to Juan and bigboost and he showed me few different ones installed without needed the spacer so I'm not sure if I got a wrongly welded piece, who knows but I ended up buying a throttle body spacer from bms and it was able to fit but with maybe .5mm of clearance from the timing belt.

The item did not come with instructions so my shop had me get in touch with Juan again to get instructions on wiring and boost taping to make sure it was being put in the right way.

So it wasn't too smooth of a process I'd say but I'd recommend asking Juan and making sure it will fit without a throttle body spacer unless you will end up needing one. Also make sure you get instructions with wiring and spots to tap before you tackle the install, then you should be good. If not Juan is responsive and will help you.

I was running a custom e50 tune from David Shoup but since I installed the clutch as well, I just put it back on a stage 2 93 map because I can't really push the car anyway and go WOT. I figured I'd use these two weeks to give my car a break from ethanol. But next week I will put the e50 tune back in and give a better review regarding sound.

Then following week is Vargas GC turbo install!
      11-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Awesome man! Thanks a bunch! Can’t wait to hear it
Appreciate 1
luca10100.50
      12-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have the big boost bov installed on a stock turbo set up? * just asking seeing as they say that it can be installed with a stock turbo set up *
I thought about it, and it is tempting. When it comes down to it, there have already been small instances where people have had minor issues with the GC or simple questions and have not gotten a response from Vargas. Whether that is correct or not.... I dunno. While it's cheaper in the grand scheme of things, I've yet to see anything bad about pure turbos. So i'll eat the minor cost of having to buy someone's used, discarded, or wrecked car turbo in order to not have my stock unit altered. I'm finicky about mods that can't be returned to stock easily. The 25% sale almost made me take the plunge from vargas, but I'm no longer on the fringe of gotta be first so I'll wait till it all lines up for me to go pure 800 or potentially CTS when they finally release theirs. depending on how it stacks out power, cost, and design wise I'll consider them.

Though turbo systems just popped up on my IG feed, but can't figure out their capability, as it seems kinda like pure as its a modified stock housing that you send in... and if thats the case, just go pure.

Quote:
So the install was a bit tricky. I originally tried getting installed at the shop at first but for some reason it was not fitting on correctly because it was touching the timing belt. My guy told me I needed a throttle body spacer to have it fitted and give it enough clearance so it doesn't touch the belt.

I spoke to Juan and bigboost and he showed me few different ones installed without needed the spacer so I'm not sure if I got a wrongly welded piece, who knows but I ended up buying a throttle body spacer from bms and it was able to fit but with maybe .5mm of clearance from the timing belt.

The item did not come with instructions so my shop had me get in touch with Juan again to get instructions on wiring and boost taping to make sure it was being put in the right way.

So it wasn't too smooth of a process I'd say but I'd recommend asking Juan and making sure it will fit without a throttle body spacer unless you will end up needing one. Also make sure you get instructions with wiring and spots to tap before you tackle the install, then you should be good. If not Juan is responsive and will help you.

I was running a custom e50 tune from David Shoup but since I installed the clutch as well, I just put it back on a stage 2 93 map because I can't really push the car anyway and go WOT. I figured I'd use these two weeks to give my car a break from ethanol. But next week I will put the e50 tune back in and give a better review regarding sound.

thanks for the write up. What all comes with the kit? pipe, BOV, and some sort of electronic piece?
      12-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #15
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I thought about it, and it is tempting. When it comes down to it, there have already been small instances where people have had minor issues with the GC or simple questions and have not gotten a response from Vargas. Whether that is correct or not.... I dunno. While it's cheaper in the grand scheme of things, I've yet to see anything bad about pure turbos. So i'll eat the minor cost of having to buy someone's used, discarded, or wrecked car turbo in order to not have my stock unit altered. I'm finicky about mods that can't be returned to stock easily. The 25% sale almost made me take the plunge from vargas, but I'm no longer on the fringe of gotta be first so I'll wait till it all lines up for me to go pure 800 or potentially CTS when they finally release theirs. depending on how it stacks out power, cost, and design wise I'll consider them.

Though turbo systems just popped up on my IG feed, but can't figure out their capability, as it seems kinda like pure as its a modified stock housing that you send in... and if thats the case, just go pure.

Quote:

thanks for the write up. What all comes with the kit? pipe, BOV, and some sort of electronic piece?
No problem and just the charge pipe with bov, 3 wires for connections to dme, ground battery and something else, hoses for taping into boost, and control module.
      12-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #16
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Does this stuff look familiar from what came with your kit? or something else all together?

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...ort-bov-black/
      12-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #17
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does this stuff look familiar from what came with your kit? or something else all together?

https://www.turbosmart.com/product/b...ort-bov-black/
This is what it came with along with a few taps for the boost and a couple boost lines as well
Attached Images

01-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #18
kianf22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

Any videos? How are you liking it?
Pure800 - DS2 HPFP - Nostrum S1 - ER Catless DP - Remus Non-Resonated Catback - BM3 Flex Fuel Kit - Ross V1 VTA PCV - Custom Tunes on MHD/BM3 - xHP Stage 3 - TCKline SA/DA Coils - Apex ARC8s - Vicrez Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk - ALP Laser System - Escort Max 360c with Blendmount + more... | IG: kianf22 |
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #19
Jay5k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Appreciate 3
Aldor2787.00
G.Newt806.00
kianf2264.00
      01-31-2021, 08:41 AM   #20
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For some reason mine is no where as loud. I'll try to get a video
      01-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
kianf22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i

Quote:
I think thats their 1,000whp m240i.. That might be why Would love to hear how it sounds and performs on stock turbo!
Pure800 - DS2 HPFP - Nostrum S1 - ER Catless DP - Remus Non-Resonated Catback - BM3 Flex Fuel Kit - Ross V1 VTA PCV - Custom Tunes on MHD/BM3 - xHP Stage 3 - TCKline SA/DA Coils - Apex ARC8s - Vicrez Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk - ALP Laser System - Escort Max 360c with Blendmount + more... | IG: kianf22 |
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianf22 View Post
Quote:
I think thats their 1,000whp m240i.. That might be why Would love to hear how it sounds and performs on stock turbo!
lol that would make sense. I currently have a Vargas GC with about 23psi boost, something is loud but I think it's a mix of the intake+bov, can't seem to hear the difference of the two when I release the gas but I will try to get a video uploaded
kianf2264.00