F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Xenon Adaptive don't work after mod
GetBMWParts

01-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435

Xenon Adaptive don't work after mod

Hi guys!

I have a 2016 435i xenon with adaptive. (100% sure)
I've recently started my DIY blackout headlights/install bavgrupee rings and everything is pretty much good. The install was good and both headlights was able to light up, however I was struck with the "Adaptive Headlight Malfunction" code. I assume maybe it was just one light that the adaptive didn't work but I found out both didn't. Anyone got any ideas on what I might've done wrong? Is there something I can reset the adaptive ? ( I tried taking it off the battery for like 15mins and still no luck)

On the back, the main power harness is attached. The side silver box module is attached.
The black module that slides out like a ram stick is also attached.

***Would using Ista help let me know whats wrong with it? or can I reset the adaptive through there? ***

Last edited by lazyb0ne; 01-15-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Did you disconnect the original rings?

Reason I ask is when I modded my LED DRLs I replaced the LED boards that provided light to them. I presumed that I could leave the old connectors just taped up, however it turns out if there's a voltage drop on that line then the ECU shuts off power to it and flags it all as an adaptive malfunction. Annoyingly it disabled my adaptiveness too until I plugged them back in.. so I ended up creating an external heatsink housing to store the old boards whilst plugged in.
      01-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Did you disconnect the original rings?

Reason I ask is when I modded my LED DRLs I replaced the LED boards that provided light to them. I presumed that I could leave the old connectors just taped up, however it turns out if there's a voltage drop on that line then the ECU shuts off power to it and flags it all as an adaptive malfunction. Annoyingly it disabled my adaptiveness too until I plugged them back in.. so I ended up creating an external heatsink housing to store the old boards whilst plugged in.
Hi!!. Yes, I only removed the rings but I didn't touch the wires so I don't think there should have a voltage drop. Weird thing is I think my driver side works but the right side doesn't. I mean, theres only one harness to plug into the headlight and the xenon light is actually on. So its just weird to me that it says it is not detected but it turns on.

I actually used ISTA+ to diagnose and this is what I got.
Attached Images

Last edited by lazyb0ne; 01-30-2021 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0