F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What exactly is in the MPPSK?
ARMA SPEED

01-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #23
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter14 View Post
Alright I retract my statements earlier.

Apparently my dealer used the wrong parts, in fact they just used a MPE axle-back exhaust and that was it.

I talked to BMW NA and another BMW dealer and they clarified that Mperformance pack II is indeed the same as MPPSK which is a tune, full cat-back exhaust with special muffler (with pipes running in and out the sides) and flaps that work with the drive mode you are in, tied to the ECU. This should also include the tune with a mpowerkit sticker in the engine bay as well (no mperfomance engine cover on the B58).
In Canada this package is $2800.00

When ordering your package make sure they get it right. .seems there is alot of confusion of the parts used in this package. Im hoping my dealer makes things right and switches out the parts and adds whats necessary. Would BMW NA be able to help on this as an alternative if the dealer isnt working with me?
It's amazing how useless some of the dealers are. Was it the automall dealer that installed it? I thought the MPPSK was factory or port installed?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi MPPSK 6MT

MPPSK Is now available from factory, and probably port but wasn't available when I got mine.

It's $4k just for the parts from the dealer after the fact. Or at least that's what I was quoted. Then you have the exhaust tips on top with stainless steel being $300 or carbon being $700.
I was also quoted 2 hours for the software install and 4-5 hours for the exhaust install.

It adds up! If you think you want it, just order it with the car, so much cheaper if it's $2800 as quoted above
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
mwalter14
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick View Post
MPPSK Is now available from factory, and probably port but wasn't available when I got mine.

It's $4k just for the parts from the dealer after the fact. Or at least that's what I was quoted. Then you have the exhaust tips on top with stainless steel being $300 or carbon being $700.
I was also quoted 2 hours for the software install and 4-5 hours for the exhaust install.

It adds up! If you think you want it, just order it with the car, so much cheaper if it's $2800 as quoted above
Sounds right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
It's amazing how useless some of the dealers are. Was it the automall dealer that installed it? I thought the MPPSK was factory or port installed?
I ordered from factory but the Port somehow missed the install. The dealer tried to do it but did it wrong. It will cost them significantly more now to put the right Mpack2/MPPSK like Poon Stick mentioned.

Last edited by mwalter14; 01-03-2017 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #26
marknaud
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i convertible

MPPSK exhaust sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
not true very happy with the MPPK. Tune provides some extra power with warranty and the exhaust with flaps allows for me to adjust if I want it to be loud or quiet. I believe the Canadian MPPK also includes adaptive M suspension M sport brakes and 19 inch rims.
Have a 2017 440 Convertible on the way, being built. Looking at having the MPPSK installed upon delivery. The exhaust only opens up in sport or sport+, is that correct? I am not really into load and obnoxious, all the time, but what outstanding performance. A sleeper if you will? How does the exhaust sound compare to stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #27
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknaud
Quote:
not true very happy with the MPPK. Tune provides some extra power with warranty and the exhaust with flaps allows for me to adjust if I want it to be loud or quiet. I believe the Canadian MPPK also includes adaptive M suspension M sport brakes and 19 inch rims.
Have a 2017 440 Convertible on the way, being built. Looking at having the MPPSK installed upon delivery. The exhaust only opens up in sport or sport+, is that correct? I am not really into load and obnoxious, all the time, but what outstanding performance. A sleeper if you will? How does the exhaust sound compare to stock?
huge difference between the comfort and sport/sport+. the latter two is pretty loud and would be annoying if you had to drive down the highway in it everyday. The comfort mode is pretty quiet in my opinion. from my test drive of a 340i without mppk it was quieter than the comfort mode ever so slightly.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #28
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

And the factory isn't going to install the wrong exhaust like mwalter's clueless dealer did.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #29
Cammie45
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

Quote:

Issue with this is when you buy a 2017 off the lot like I did, now I'm stuck either paying the better part of $5k or going to the lesser MPK exhaust / 3rd party...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #30
mannymazz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknaud View Post
Quote:
I would say in comfort the car is slightly louder then a non MPPK car in sport or atleast was compared to my 435. In sport the car is a beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #31
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

So this thread gave me some confidence and I've been reassured several times by my dealer that they will install it if I bring it in. Exhaust, software, everything.

Parts are ordered from the states, and I'll be driving to just the other side of the border to pick them up and bring them home.

My appointment at the dealer isn't for a couple weeks but I'll follow up after for any fellow canadians interested in doing the same. All told, it looks like I'll be saving about $1300 CAD even after conversion and the cost to go pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

To clarify, MPPSK is not factory-installed. It is port or dealer installed. If you want it on the window sticker, it must be port-installed. If you don't care about that, and only care about the warranty, it can also be installed by the dealer as an accessory. I have read in other threads that if you have it installed as an accessory on a lease, they want you to remove it at the end, but I don't know that for sure. If it's port-installed on a lease, it's part of the lease and must be present at turn-in.

As for the sound - it's quiet as you need in comfort. Technically it does open the valves slightly under heavy throttle, but if you're driving gently, it's very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #33
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

Quote:
huge difference between the comfort and sport/sport+. the latter two is pretty loud and would be annoying if you had to drive down the highway in it everyday. The comfort mode is pretty quiet in my opinion. from my test drive of a 340i without mppk it was quieter than the comfort mode ever so slightly.
ditto...

When I picked her up at the dealership after install, I was (actually) shocked at how LOUD (and obnoxious) it was in Sport. The drive on the highway in Sport actually gets a little annoying as there is a constant deep throaty rumble/vibration.
I usually put her in Comfort or EcoPro to quiet it down a bit. In my town, I switch between Sport and Comfort (which then sounds pretty normal). Sport for when I'm at a light or just want to get some looks/head shakes!

I will say, in Comfort and you punch it, it still reacts quick and has some good sound with burbles. But in Sport.. wow.

Can't wait till spring and I can drive around with the top down constantly and just listen to the car. It does sound impressive.
[Kinda like a WWII fighter with a good old fashion piston motor~]

Good Luck and Enjoy.
Always
Motch
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #34
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

so what prices are people seeing for an after the fact purchase (not including installation)? Is there any place to order from that is better than others?

Is this something that can be removed later and returned to stock? i.e. could I sell the exhaust later and I guess keep the tune there or does the tune require the different exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #35
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So this thread gave me some confidence and I've been reassured several times by my dealer that they will install it if I bring it in. Exhaust, software, everything.

Parts are ordered from the states, and I'll be driving to just the other side of the border to pick them up and bring them home.

My appointment at the dealer isn't for a couple weeks but I'll follow up after for any fellow canadians interested in doing the same. All told, it looks like I'll be saving about $1300 CAD even after conversion and the cost to go pick it up.
Yes please keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #36
mwalter14
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Got the MPPSK Installed. Night and day difference. Absolute necessity for our cars. Exhaust sounds incredible, power definitely noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #37
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you calculate the tax you have to pay when bringing it over the border?
So are you saying that the exhaust and software is going to cost you only $1500 since the mppk2 is $2800?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #38
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
so what prices are people seeing for an after the fact purchase (not including installation)? Is there any place to order from that is better than others?

Is this something that can be removed later and returned to stock? i.e. could I sell the exhaust later and I guess keep the tune there or does the tune require the different exhaust?
Absolutely not. From further research I've found that there's a sealed envelope that comes with the package. Once it's opened it is non-returnable and non-transferable. They have a key they use to get the software for your car that is one-time. The software needs the exhaust and the exhaust is kinda useless without the software.

If you want to go the reversible route, go for the M performace exhaust (MPE) which is just the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #39
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So are you saying that the exhaust and software is going to cost you only $1500 since the mppk2 is $2800?
Yup I factored in the tax - but I have to pay tax either way. Whether I'm bringing it across the border myself or purchasing from the dealer.

Not sure where your $2800 number is coming from - maybe someone else's post who said the MPPSK can be added when ordering (and installed at port) for $2800. I'm not sure on this, wasn't available when I got mine.

The money I'm saving is from buying in the US (where the dealers are willing to compete) vs buying in Canada.

I got the MPPSK and carbon tips for $2900 USD shipped from the States. Included in there is $100 USD for gas, tolls and my time. The same parts were about $4800 CAD from the CDN dealer who was not willing to discount or deal in any way.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #40
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick
Quote:
Yup I factored in the tax - but I have to pay tax either way. Whether I'm bringing it across the border myself or purchasing from the dealer.

Not sure where your $2800 number is coming from - maybe someone else's post who said the MPPSK can be added when ordering (and installed at port) for $2800. I'm not sure on this, wasn't available when I got mine.

The money I'm saving is from buying in the US (where the dealers are willing to compete) vs buying in Canada.

I got the MPPSK and carbon tips for $2900 USD shipped from the States. Included in there is $100 USD for gas, tolls and my time. The same parts were about $4800 CAD from the CDN dealer who was not willing to discount or deal in any way.
so you got the M performance brakes and adaptive suspension also along with upgraded RIMS or are you telling me the dealers here want $4800 for just the exhaust and the tune?
I got the $2800 from the performance package 2 which includes the tune and exhaust for $2800 and the performance package 1 includes the upgraded brakes, adaptive suspension, and different rims for $1500.

Last edited by 440xiGCMsport; 01-07-2017 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #41
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

That's absolutely right. I got the larger brakes, wheels m adaptive suspension and fog light delete (for oil coolers they dealer said) with the car.

Now to retrofit just the exhaust and tune, the dealer wants $4800 in parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #42
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

I picked up the parts in the US and brought them home. Had to unpackage them - they shipped in a 6'x6' box. They parts were mostly loose and only separated by crumpled paper. There are a few kinks in some pipes, does anyone know if these are made to clear parts of the car or is it shipping damage? Pics below

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #43
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

There was lots of discussion about that kink/dent in the pipe in the original thread. They all seem to have it.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #44
Poon Stick
Two many diffs
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
There was lots of discussion about that kink/dent in the pipe in the original thread. They all seem to have it.
Thanks! I didn't see that in any threads I read
Appreciate 0