F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 340i CF exhaust tips
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
parch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 340i xdrive alpine

340i CF exhaust tips

Hey guys got a strange question for you all! I got a set of carbon exhaust tips for my 340i awhile back (was a gift cuz I love carbon). They are the ones you slide on the exhaust after removing the stock tips and tighten bolts to make them fit and they fit fine for awhile but now for some reason the right exhaust one is always sliding up the exhaust and I have to move it back and even when it locked down as tight as possible it still slides down like weekly. Anyone experience this or have any ideas? Believe they were the ones from Monaco MS. I would just return them but the return policy was short and it was gift.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Try retightening right after a long drive when the exhaust is still warm/hot.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Try retightening right after a long drive when the exhaust is still warm/hot.
Sadly I have tried that a few times, it's just so strange to me that the right side is always an issue but the left one never has been.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Lol funny you posted about this at this time. I literally just finished complaining to them saying it doesn't fit till I realized you can tighten it with the tool not just your hand.

Mind if I ask how long you had them before that right tip started to slip? And did you cut the thing off top the exhaust pipe to push it back further?

You can try putting something in between the exhaust and tip and tighten it on that see if that helps. Preferably something with grip. That's what they recommended me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
Lol funny you posted about this at this time. I literally just finished complaining to them saying it doesn't fit till I realized you can tighten it with the tool not just your hand.

Mind if I ask how long you had them before that right tip started to slip? And did you cut the thing off top the exhaust pipe to push it back further?

You can try putting something in between the exhaust and tip and tighten it on that see if that helps. Preferably something with grip. That's what they recommended me.
Uhm I'd say maybe after 2 months or so I noticed it happen and it just gets more and more frequent and yea the the issue with that I believe is I haven't thought of any material that would be effective like that and not possibly melt due to the heat. And yes I tightened the bolt as far as it will let me and it's just not enough. It's just strange that one side works and one doesn't and there return policy is very short. Also yea I had to cut the piece of metal that was sticking out to mount them wasn't hArd to do luckily!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #6
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch8 View Post
Quote:

Uhm I'd say maybe after 2 months or so I noticed it happen and it just gets more and more frequent and yea the the issue with that I believe is I haven't thought of any material that would be effective like that and not possibly melt due to the heat. And yes I tightened the bolt as far as it will let me and it's just not enough. It's just strange that one side works and one doesn't and there return policy is very short. Also yea I had to cut the piece of metal that was sticking out to mount them wasn't hArd to do luckily!
Good thing you caught it before it came off though. My other aftermarket tips one of them fell off while driving and I noticed when I got back to my car lol.

That sucks how it just keeps sliding off now. Maybe try dual sided heat resistant tape under the clamp?

I still have to cut mine off, hoping it's not too much of a pain with a sawzall.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:34 PM   #7
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good thing you caught it before it came off though. My other aftermarket tips one of them fell off while driving and I noticed when I got back to my car lol.

That sucks how it just keeps sliding off now. Maybe try dual sided heat resistant tape under the clamp?

I still have to cut mine off, hoping it's not too much of a pain with a sawzall.
It's not at all! I'm pretty new and clueless to any sort of modification like that and it wasn't bad. And actually the weird part is they slide up the exhaust so they slide towards the center of the car not the back so they won't ever come off but I will just look and the exhaust has no tip but it's sitting like a foot up the exhaust. It's very strange and annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
JB Weld...?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not at all! I'm pretty new and clueless to any sort of modification like that and it wasn't bad. And actually the weird part is they slide up the exhaust so they slide towards the center of the car not the back so they won't ever come off but I will just look and the exhaust has no tip but it's sitting like a foot up the exhaust. It's very strange and annoying
U know what's funny. 1 week in and my left side is already sliding up just like yours I bought some exhaust heat wrap I'm gonna try and wrap it around and hopefully it can still clamp on it. I'll update you if it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #10
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

U know what's funny. 1 week in and my left side is already sliding up just like yours I bought some exhaust heat wrap I'm gonna try and wrap it around and hopefully it can still clamp on it. I'll update you if it works.
That would be awesome! Yea I need to try something eventually because I even swapped mine to the other side and it did the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
I have a spare set of OEM ones if you guys are tired to worry about those ones.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #12
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
I have a spare set of OEM ones if you guys are tired to worry about those ones.
Appreciate the offer but if I don't get these to work I'll either get different ones cut and welded on or weld these on at a shop But thank you anyway!
Appreciate 1
MaximusJ301.00
      01-31-2021, 11:14 AM   #13
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Why not just get longer bolts?
parch841.00
      01-31-2021, 04:17 PM   #14
Bigpotts
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

if its sliding in, not out, put a metal hose clamp on first with the screw tucked up out of view to set ur stopping point the slide ur tip against that and tighten it down.
Appreciate 1
parch841.00
      01-31-2021, 10:48 PM   #15
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Why not just get longer bolts?
Because the way the clamp is for it it bottoms out at where it is now so even a longer bolt won't help I don't think.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #16
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpotts View Post
if its sliding in, not out, put a metal hose clamp on first with the screw tucked up out of view to set ur stopping point the slide ur tip against that and tighten it down.
That's a really good idea I hadn't thought about previously I will definitely try and give that a shot! Thanks for the good idea!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #17
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a really good idea I hadn't thought about previously I will definitely try and give that a shot! Thanks for the good idea!
Quote:
Quote:
So I haven't tried the fiberglass exhaust heat wrap yet but I tried this method and be careful. Make sure the tip is on tight because my tip after the drive didn't go closer to the middle of the car , BUT this time it went backwards and looked like it almost came off so proceed with caution.

Going to give it one more shot tightening it more if not then I'm gonna try the fiberglass and if no luck gonna weld this shit lol.

Who knew an exhaust tip would give so much trouble smh.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:39 PM   #18
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So I haven't tried the fiberglass exhaust heat wrap yet but I tried this method and be careful. Make sure the tip is on tight because my tip after the drive didn't go closer to the middle of the car , BUT this time it went backwards and looked like it almost came off so proceed with caution.

Going to give it one more shot tightening it more if not then I'm gonna try the fiberglass and if no luck gonna weld this shit lol.

Who knew an exhaust tip would give so much trouble smh.
Yea I feel the same way it's kind of annoying a product is not working and the return policy was absurdly short like the part should fit properly I'm not asking much I feel like for 200$ exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #19
Bigpotts
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

did u get the problem resolved?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 08:07 AM   #20
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
did u get the problem resolved?
Nope, I took both off to see if I could figure out if it was obvious I think I'm gonna try buying a new clamp to tighten to see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0