F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My big F30 328i review thread!
ARMA SPEED

07-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #89
mmanes1
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30-320D SPORT

very nice car... good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #90
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
The Suspension
I didn't go for the Adaptive M Suspension because of one little letter. "M". I didn't want a hard ride, especially coming from the E90, I wanted more comfort, so I went for the standard setup. I then learnt that the "Adaptive M Suspension" is pretty much VDC as on the F10/F11 long after I placed my order, so I though "ahh shite!" VDC made such a change on the test cars I had so I was frustrated! If it was called "Variable Damper Control" and not "Adaptive M Suspension" then I would've ticked the box.

Thankfully, I really like the standard suspension and it's so much more comfortable than my 330d so I'm happy! It's also still stiff enough to feel the road and maintain composure with very little body roll.
Sometimes less is more. A basic functional suspension that delivers on all fronts that is lithe, tactile, agile, with a timeless design and simple to maintain can be better then all the complicated high speed gizmos that can be difficult to maintain over time and fragile. Your golden.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #91
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
Kickdown
Only done it once now I've passed 1200mls but super quick, super savage, super effective. Nice.

So, if you're in any doubt of which automatic transmission to get, get the Sport Auto without doubt, it is worth a £1000 more than the standard and only £150 extra in the UK!
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is no difference between the auto transmission between any lines i.e. Luxury, Modern, or Sport. You get the same sport mapping transmission when you shift the lever into manual mode. The only thing you get with the "Sport Auto Transmission" is the paddle shifters. The way the option is worded is a bit gimmicky. Kind of like Dynamic Cruise Control. Still trying to figure out whats so "Dynamic" about cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #92
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987
Quote:
Kickdown
Only done it once now I've passed 1200mls but super quick, super savage, super effective. Nice.

So, if you're in any doubt of which automatic transmission to get, get the Sport Auto without doubt, it is worth a £1000 more than the standard and only £150 extra in the UK!
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there is no difference between the auto transmission between any lines i.e. Luxury, Modern, or Sport. You get the same sport mapping transmission when you shift the lever into manual mode. The only thing you get with the "Sport Auto Transmission" is the paddle shifters. The way the option is worded is a bit gimmicky. Kind of like Dynamic Cruise Control. Still trying to figure out whats so "Dynamic" about cruise control.
You're quite wrong about that.
The Sport Automatic Transmission gets the following over the Automatic Transmission:
Better software - much quicker shifts and smoother - this is worth
£1000 on its own and its only £150 more!!
Flappy paddles
Leather gear stick surround
Premium gear selector

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #93
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

Is it possible just to get the SAT gear selector? I agree it does look better than the standard one.

2012 BMW 328i Sport Line/Premium Alpine White - Current Car
2012 BMW 320i Alpine White - Retired
2006 BMW 525i Premium - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #94
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Better software?

Very interesting. That must knock a bit off the 0 to 60 dash...
      07-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #95
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Better software?

Yep! The difference is clear on YouTube!! The Sport Auto is DCT fast, whilst the Standard Auto is just what you'd expect from an auto. It really annoyed me when I tested the standard auto because it had constant power interruptions and wasn't smooth at all! The Sport Auto is brilliant! DCT quick, Maybach smooth

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #96
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsandry
Is it possible just to get the SAT gear selector? I agree it does look better than the standard one.
With money, anything is possible. You could even get the one with a ceramic finish like on the 5er to 7er if you opt for Controls with Ceramic finish.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #97
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Nice car you have there.

Thanks for sharing all the details.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #98
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
With money, anything is possible. You could even get the one with a ceramic finish like on the 5er to 7er if you opt for Controls with Ceramic finish.
Ceramic controls are absolutely ridiculous. $650 is absurd to put some bits of ceramic on the shift lever, A/C knobs, and radio controls.

That being said, I would be kicking myself every single day for the rest of my life if I had passed up this option. I'm glad I spent the money every single time I look at it or touch it.

Yes, it's the price of an iPad to put some pieces of ceramic over the normal controls, but it makes all the difference in the world when you look at the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #99
Blue_Sky
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: --

Thanks for the detailed review. Enjoy your vehicle and good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #100
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep! The difference is clear on YouTube!! The Sport Auto is DCT fast, whilst the Standard Auto is just what you'd expect from an auto. It really annoyed me when I tested the standard auto because it had constant power interruptions and wasn't smooth at all! The Sport Auto is brilliant! DCT quick, Maybach smooth
"Better software"

Fascinating. Makes you wonder why they would put better software on one car and worse software on another...

I feel such a fool for not noticing just how bad the standard automatic box was when I test drove it. What was I thinking about? What with the constant power interruptions and all. Tell me again - how much faster is the car with the sport auto?

And to think I could have seen the difference on YouTube.

Anyway, it's great to see how much you love your car and the choices you have made on the options list. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm.
      07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #101
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Better software"

Fascinating. Makes you wonder why they would put better software on one car and worse software on another...

I feel such a fool for not noticing just how bad the standard automatic box was when I test drove it. What was I thinking about? What with the constant power interruptions and all. Tell me again - how much faster is the car with the sport auto?

And to think I could have seen the difference on YouTube.

Anyway, it's great to see how much you love your car and the choices you have made on the options list. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm.
The Standard Auto isn't "bad" at all in fact it's a very good transmission, but it's not as good as the Sport Auto in my opinion and it's a shame it isn't offered on all Lines in the US. For just software differences, the change is staggering. Why they feel the need to offer 2 types of transmission, I don't get apart from money making.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #102
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:
Ceramic controls are absolutely ridiculous. $650 is absurd to put some bits of ceramic on the shift lever, A/C knobs, and radio controls.

That being said, I would be kicking myself every single day for the rest of my life if I had passed up this option. I'm glad I spent the money every single time I look at it or touch it.

Yes, it's the price of an iPad to put some pieces of ceramic over the normal controls, but it makes all the difference in the world when you look at the car.
Yeah, the price is unjustifiable for me but I do like the look of them! Would love to see you spec up a car, I bet it'll look fantastic!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #103
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Better software?

Not sure 'better' is the best description, I'd say 'different software', as BMW do make claims about their sport auto transmissions, have done so since the 6-speed variant.

For the F30, BMW say...

Quote:
A sports version of the new eight-speed automatic transmission is available as a further option for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. This unit offers even sportier shift characteristics, and the option of changing gear manually using the paddle shifts on the steering wheel.
Quote:
An eight-speed sports automatic transmission with faster shift times and sporty steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts is also available as an option.
Sure we'd like a bit more technical detail, but for some reason BMW keep the data (for all models) very close to their chest.

BTW, not had a chance to compare the F30 autos, but I've driven the F10 with both standard and sport 8-speed auto boxes, there is a definite difference, the sport auto feels so much more precise and in tune with a sporty drive. I'd not say the immediate feeling is 'faster' changes in sport mode from the sport auto, but a different and better feel (now I'm using the 'better' word), for both up and down changes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #104
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BTW, not had a chance to compare the F30 autos, but I've driven the F10 with both standard and sport 8-speed auto boxes, there is a definite difference, the sport auto feels so much more precise and in tune with a sporty drive. I'd not say the immediate feeling is 'faster' changes in sport mode from the sport auto, but a different and better feel (now I'm using the 'better' word), for both up and down changes.

HighlandPete
+1, I've driven the F30 with both autos, and there is a difference in feel with acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #105
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not sure 'better' is the best description, I'd say 'different software...

<SNIP>

HighlandPete
Okay Pete - I respect your opinion based on the many rational and helpful posts I have seen posted by you in this forum.

I've just emailed my HR department to change the automatic on my F10 order to sport automatic.
      07-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #106
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Okay Pete - I respect your opinion based on the many rational and helpful posts I have seen posted by you in this forum.

I've just emailed my HR department to change the automatic on my F10 order to sport automatic.
If you are not going for Adaptive Drive or VDC, you'll find the sport auto with its drivetrain/chassis settings will make the F10 feel so much better. The 535i I tried with sport auto was a much better feeling car to drive when you toggled to sport settings, than the F10 with standard auto. Steering, throttle and gearbox just came together and gave the results. I'd say you wll not regret the change in build.

Sport auto is a definite for my next BMW.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #107
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you are not going for Adaptive Drive or VDC, you'll find the sport auto with its drivetrain/chassis settings will make the F10 feel so much better. The 535i I tried with sport auto was a much better feeling car to drive when you toggled to sport settings, than the F10 with standard auto. Steering, throttle and gearbox just came together and gave the results. I'd say you wll not regret the change in build.

HighlandPete
Great - thanks Pete. I think because the price difference was so small I was fooled into thinking it was a bit of a gimmick. I stand corrected.
      07-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #108
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

HighlandPete
Great - thanks Pete. I think because the price difference was so small I was fooled into thinking it was a bit of a gimmick. I stand corrected.
That's what the forum is for! You'll be super duper happy with your F10 then!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #109
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:

Yeah, the price is unjustifiable for me but I do like the look of them! Would love to see you spec up a car, I bet it'll look fantastic!
Building a BMW requires a lot of self control not to tick every option available. This is particularly bad when packages are $5,000 and there are a dozen a la carte options starting at $500. It ranks pretty high up on the list of worst first world problems
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #110
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
I'm coming from an E90 335i, so I don't get the "no steering feel" comments.

I did tell my CA after driving the "no line" 328i at the Olympic Event that it didn't feel like BMW steering. He said ordering the Sport Line would correct that.

I believe he was right. My new SL 328i doesn't feel any different than my previous BMW, other than I can tell it's a lighter car and a 4-banger.
I too don't get all these negative comments on the steering.
Yeah, the effort is a bit lighter, but over all the steering is great, very BMW like. You really have to have it in "sport" mode to get the better heft/effort.

And let's not forget that tires make a difference in steering effort and feel. Considering how many different tires are being offered by BMW on this 3, that could be making the difference in all these reviews.

BTW, the F30 328i is heavier than the E90 328i.
You may feel a "lightness", but that is likely due to a more rigid chassis, less flex, and moves lighter overall in handling.
Appreciate 0