F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Tire peeling? Is this normal?
proTUNING Freaks

05-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Tire peeling? Is this normal?

Was just cleaning my car today for the first time this year and I noticed that the tire looks like it's peeling a bit around the wheel? Not sure if this is normal just wondering if anyone knew and could chime in. Thanks!
Attached Images

05-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattryan View Post
Was just cleaning my car today for the first time this year and I noticed that the tire looks like it's peeling a bit around the wheel? Not sure if this is normal just wondering if anyone knew and could chime in. Thanks!
Do you have correct pressures? It looks like the rim protect is rubbing on the rim. Maybe you push it too much around the bends?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Quote:
Do you have correct pressures? It looks like the rim protect is rubbing on the rim. Maybe you push it too much around the bends?
I checked the pressure last week so it should be good. I did do some spirited driving last week - is that what it's from? Just don't know if it's anything to be alarmed about
      05-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I checked the pressure last week so it should be good. I did do some spirited driving last week - is that what it's from? Just don't know if it's anything to be alarmed about
It is even all around?

Are these run flats?

I personally think that for go flats you need to increase the pressure a bit, but that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is even all around?

Are these run flats?

I personally think that for go flats you need to increase the pressure a bit, but that is just me.
do the chalk test
https://www.intercotire.com/using_ch...etermining_psi
Appreciate 3
Palantir219.00
fantanas110.50
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
Wow. Learned something new and cool! Thank you!
Your life is a book and you are the author. Along the way there are fans, critics, editors etc that influence, change, refine and/or mess up your story. But at the end of the day, YOU are the writer and it is YOUR story.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is even all around?

Are these run flats?

They're staggered so the front is 35 and the rear are 38.

Non run flat - Michelin A/S 3+
      06-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is even all around?

Are these run flats?

Where are you based? A/a tires with all the high temp due to summer and hard driving could get something like that

Edit: I would be running the pressures a bit higher, but don't take my word for it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is even all around?

Are these run flats?

Where are you based? A/a tires with all the high temp due to summer and hard driving could get something like that

Edit: I would be running the pressures a bit higher, but don't take my word for it
Toronto

Just wondering if it's something I need to be concerned about?
      06-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

I have seen some peeling in that area caused by the tire install. It shouldn't happen, but if that is what caused it, I don't think it should be a problem unless the bead didn't seal completely and the tire is leaking air. You could take it back to where you purchased it or a tire shop to be sure it isn't a problem. Random answers from the web won't necessary address your issue. I will just give you ideas about various things which may have caused your problem.
Appreciate 3