F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help with buying a used F30
Studio RSR

11-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
eebz
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Help with buying a used F30

Summary: Do you guys think I'm getting a good deal on a 2016 328i xDrive with 39k miles and factory warranty of 12months/11k miles that has an OTD price of $20.3k?

Hi all! I've been very interested in buying a F30 328i for a few years now and done a lot of research and I think I came across a good deal at a used car dealership in Chicago and I put a deposit on it. I wanted another opinion before pulling the trigger because I think I might be in the twilight phase.

Link to pictures of CarFax, pricing, and packages:
View post on imgur.com

Quick info on the Car: 2016 328i xDrive LCI

Out-The-Door Price: $20.3k

Year/Milage: 39k miles

Damage: 2 accidents which caused damage to front bumper 1 year apart from one another, but no frame damage and air bags didnt

One Lease Owner.

Color: Black Sapphire Metallic/ Black Dakota Leather with Dark Oyster highlight

Packages: Cold weather, Premium package, Driving assistance, Luxury package/Line, Navigation, Side and top view cam xDrive.

Factory Warranty: 12 months or 11k miles.

I haven't actually seen the car in person because I originally went in to the dealership to see another 328i which was sold earlier so me and the salesman were looking at what looked like a dealer exclusive BMW website and he ordered this 328i in front of me then promised to sell it at the same price as the one I came in for after I take a look at after its delivered in a few days. What do you guys think? The price of the car was $18k and after taxes registration and fees it came out to $20.3k. I overpaid on the fees a little because the dealer charged me $180 for document fee and $600 for “prep” which includes shipping from Ohio and “getting it ready” but in my mind its okay for the price of the car compared to whats on the market in the Chicagoland area.

I would really appreciate anyone's help as this it my first time buying my personal car. Im 22 years old recent grad making 70k/year living in the Chicagoland area if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada9707 View Post
Summary: Do you guys think I'm getting a good deal on a 2016 328i xDrive with 39k miles and factory warranty of 12months/11k miles that has an OTD price of $20.3k?

Hi all! I've been very interested in buying a F30 328i for a few years now and done a lot of research and I think I came across a good deal at a used car dealership in Chicago and I put a deposit on it. I wanted another opinion before pulling the trigger because I think I might be in the twilight phase.

View post on imgur.com

Damage: 2 accidents which caused damage to front bumper 1 year apart from one another, but no frame damage and air bags didnt

One Lease Owner.

Packages: Cold weather, Premium package, Driving assistance, Luxury package/Line, Navigation, Side and top view cam xDrive.

I haven't actually seen the car in person because I originally went in to the dealership to see another 328i which was sold earlier so me and the salesman were looking at what looked like a dealer exclusive BMW website and he ordered this 328i in front of me then promised to sell it at the same price as the one I came in for after I take a look at after its delivered in a few days. What do you guys think? The price of the car was $18k and after taxes registration and fees it came out to $20.3k. I overpaid on the fees a little because the dealer charged me $180 for document fee and $600 for “prep” which includes shipping from Ohio and “getting it ready” but in my mind its okay for the price of the car compared to whats on the market in the Chicagoland area.

I would really appreciate anyone's help as this it my first time buying my personal car. Im 22 years old recent grad making 70k/year living in the Chicagoland area if that makes a difference.
I'd look closely at repair.

BSM is probably the hardest paint to match correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I'd keep looking. Northwest car is usually a good bet for better rust outlook, but the two accidents and seemingly long interval and non-dealer work while under warranty negates the advantage gained.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka633.00
      11-18-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
undertaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Not a bad price. However, your warranty is poor. On these cars, you need more protection for the long-term. They are somewhat reliable in general, but risky financially to own without a good warranty IMO. My warranty is till 100k, and I have 26k on the clock and I still sweat!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
eebz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
I'd keep looking. Northwest car is usually a good bet for better rust outlook, but the two accidents and seemingly long interval and non-dealer work while under warranty negates the advantage gained.
I didn't think of the rust issue thats good insight. I was confused why there was non-dealer work if there's still warranty..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:49 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

You lost me at accident. Move on, lots of fish in the sea.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

Find a 340...worth every single extra dollar
Appreciate 1
Th3Walrus325.50
      11-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
No.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
So you put a deposit on a car you didn’t see in person?

Guess you’re getting it.

I would’ve said No as well.

Someone local might’ve gone to look at it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i x drive

Why take the risk with 2 accidents? Chances are the previous driver was a careless driver and probably beat the car and/or didn't maintain properly. Plenty of other options for a 328 in that mileage range.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #11
GatorF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

If you want a clean history immaculate 2014 335i with tasteful mods, 6 speed, and just a little bit more...let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:

View post on imgur.com

One Lease Owner.

I haven't actually seen the car in person because I originally went in to the dealership to see another 328i which was sold earlier so me and the salesman were looking at what looked like a dealer exclusive BMW website and he ordered this 328i in front of me then promised to sell it at the same price as the one I came in for after I take a look at after its delivered in a few days. What do you guys think? The price of the car was $18k and after taxes registration and fees it came out to $20.3k. I overpaid on the fees a little because the dealer charged me $180 for document fee and $600 for "prep" which includes shipping from Ohio and "getting it ready" but in my mind its okay for the price of the car compared to whats on the market in the Chicagoland area.

Your comment is interesting. I have a Black Sapphire Metallic car that is about to have some scratches repaired by repainting. I didn't hear any issues with matching BSM from the folks who are going to work on my car, but a comment was made that they were glad that it wasn't Jet Black because that is the color that gives them the most difficulty. What have you heard?
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:

View post on imgur.com

One Lease Owner.

I haven't actually seen the car in person because I originally went in to the dealership to see another 328i which was sold earlier so me and the salesman were looking at what looked like a dealer exclusive BMW website and he ordered this 328i in front of me then promised to sell it at the same price as the one I came in for after I take a look at after its delivered in a few days. What do you guys think? The price of the car was $18k and after taxes registration and fees it came out to $20.3k. I overpaid on the fees a little because the dealer charged me $180 for document fee and $600 for "prep" which includes shipping from Ohio and "getting it ready" but in my mind its okay for the price of the car compared to whats on the market in the Chicagoland area.

Your comment is interesting. I have a Black Sapphire Metallic car that is about to have some scratches repaired by repainting. I didn't hear any issues with matching BSM from the folks who are going to work on my car, but a comment was made that they were glad that it wasn't Jet Black because that is the color that gives them the most difficulty. What have you heard?
It's the metallic flakes in the BSM.

The amount and the direction.

Add that to the actual color....making it more difficult than jet black.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      11-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
It's the metallic flakes in the BSM.

The amount and the direction.

Add that to the actual color....making it more difficult than jet black.
Body shop probably referring that jet black shows flaws more than BSM. BSM hard to match, but hides well for people not trained to look at it.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4479.50
      11-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Have you compared this car to CPO’s in your market? For a few thousand more you can have a CPO f30 with service records. Did you do your research on said used car dealership?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
KDW4him
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:

View post on imgur.com

One Lease Owner.

You could drive to Ohio for much less than $600...

BMW, you might find better but you can't pay more
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDW4him View Post
You could drive to Ohio for much less than $600...
I would’ve picked it up for him and drove it there for less!

Lol

OP: This is what you bought:
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/k504050
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #18
eebz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
So you put a deposit on a car you didn’t see in person?

Guess you’re getting it.

I would’ve said No as well.

Someone local might’ve gone to look at it for you.
lol I called the manager today saying I'm no longer interested!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:12 PM   #19
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
lol I called the manager today saying I'm no longer interested!
I think the price is quite good. Assuming the car has already been transferred I’d suggest you go ahead and at least look at it. What’s going to happen with your $500 down payment and the $600 charge to bring the car in from Ohio?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

11-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
eebz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think the price is quite good. Assuming the car has already been transferred I’d suggest you go ahead and at least look at it. What’s going to happen with your $500 down payment and the $600 charge to bring the car in from Ohio?
I got the $500 back and the $600 "shipping" cost is not my problem. Now I'll just keep looking for another deal
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
I got the $500 back and the $600 "shipping" cost is not my problem. Now I'll just keep looking for another deal
your income isnt bad, i would probably opt for the 335, unless u have a good reason for wanting the 328.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
GatorF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

I'll help with shipping costs on this:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1667430
Appreciate 0