F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > f30 M2 style bumper conversion
Extreme Powerhouse

04-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i project, '21 M440i

f30 M2 style bumper conversion

Hi all,

As the title states I have an aftermarket f30 m2 style bumper and it's at my autobody shop currently getting prepped. My guys are afraid to put the PDC sensor holes in the wrong spot understandably.

The ideal way to go about this would be to bring my car in, remove my bumper, and line up the pdc sensors on the new bumper and mark it, correct?

This is a longshot but has anyone seen a template possibly? I tried searching around with no luck. This is a newer bumper on the f30 market so that's probably why.

I test fitted the bumper before dropping it off but did not even think about the pdc sensors being an issue like a dumba**. Too excited to get going I guess.

The pdc sensor holes are not marked on the aftermarket bumper unfortunately.

Thanks in advance
      04-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If you or the shop knows a clear-bra guy they can probably print a template with the PDC hole locations of the OE bumper since they print the clear bra pattern and cut it out of bulk material.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
If you or the shop knows a clear-bra guy they can probably print a template with the PDC hole locations of the OE bumper since they print the clear bra pattern and cut it out of bulk material.
thanks for the tip just worried that since this is a f30 bumper but with m2 design that none of the templates will line up right.
      04-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone know if there is leeway in placing the pdc sensors? I'm wondering if I can just approximate where the holes should go. Looking at some aftermarket* f30 bumpers online, the holes don't seem to be in the exact same places.

Last edited by gfa3; 04-23-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa3 View Post
Does anyone know if there is leeway in placing the pdc sensors? I'm wondering if I can just approximate where the holes should go. Looking at some aftermarket* f30 bumpers online, the holes don't seem to be in the exact same places.
This is going to be a tough one as of right now. Kies Motorsport just announced their M2 style F30 bumper but its only pre-orders as of now and not shipping out till May 20th. I pre-ordered mine already. Wish I can help but can't at least till my bumper comes in and mine will have the pre-drilled holes for PDC. However, Kies Motorsports was saying their bumper is pretty much a F30 upper and M2 lower combined which is why M2 lips will fit. Not sure where you got yours from but I'm assuming you can just use the PDC locations from the M2 competition since the regular M2 with the N55 did not have front PDC. So ultimately, if you'd like to wait a month, I will gladly help with finding your PDC locations since my bumper will come with them pre-drilled but I doubt you'd want to wait that long. So I'd say, just wing it by looking at PDC locations of the M2 competition online.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
This is going to be a tough one as of right now. Kies Motorsport just announced their M2 style F30 bumper but its only pre-orders as of now and not shipping out till May 20th. I pre-ordered mine already. Wish I can help but can't at least till my bumper comes in and mine will have the pre-drilled holes for PDC. However, Kies Motorsports was saying their bumper is pretty much a F30 upper and M2 lower combined which is why M2 lips will fit. Not sure where you got yours from but I'm assuming you can just use the PDC locations from the M2 competition since the regular M2 with the N55 did not have front PDC. So ultimately, if you'd like to wait a month, I will gladly help with finding your PDC locations since my bumper will come with them pre-drilled but I doubt you'd want to wait that long. So I'd say, just wing it by looking at PDC locations of the M2 competition online.
nice good choice! This bumper looks really good on the f30 body. But yeah i'm hoping to have this done sooner rather than later so i may just approximate it based on what other people did with this bumper.
      05-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa3 View Post
Please post pics when you have it installed!

Also, i talked to kies about the fog light vents. Seems if you have an f30 with fogs, because this bumper doesn't have pre cut holes, you'll have to unplug them and code out the fog light check at startup so you wont have a code thrown.

Do you have fog light? And if so, have you figured out what your doing with them for the install?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #8
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKH 5 View Post

Also, i talked to kies about the fog light vents. Seems if you have an f30 with fogs, because this bumper doesn't have pre cut holes, you'll have to unplug them and code out the fog light check at startup so you wont have a code thrown.

Do you have fog light? And if so, have you figured out what your doing with them for the install?
I do indeed have a fog light. My 340i came with the M sport package from factory but does not have the track handling pack so it came with the LED fogs. and yes, I am aware the bumper conversion will not have the pre-cut vents for the fogs. I'm going to plug them out, cover the connectors so water doesn't get in it, and code them out.

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. My car came with the non-adaptive LED headlights so they're the standard version. A lot dimmer than the adaptive ones so I use my fog light pretty much everytime I drive at night as it does help with visibility.

Depending on the vent design and the room I have behind the bumper, I'll try to have my body shop make a custom vent in order to incorporate the OEM fogs but not sure how it will turn out. Won't know for sure till my body shop has the bumper in hand.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I do indeed have a fog light. My 340i came with the M sport package from factory but does not have the track handling pack so it came with the LED fogs. and yes, I am aware the bumper conversion will not have the pre-cut vents for the fogs. I'm going to plug them out, cover the connectors so water doesn't get in it, and code them out.

Not sure how I feel about that to be honest. My car came with the non-adaptive LED headlights so they're the standard version. A lot dimmer than the adaptive ones so I use my fog light pretty much everytime I drive at night as it does help with visibility.

Depending on the vent design and the room I have behind the bumper, I'll try to have my body shop make a custom vent in order to incorporate the OEM fogs but not sure how it will turn out. Won't know for sure till my body shop has the bumper in hand.
Sounds good. Luckily i dont use my fogs. It'd be nice if they could come up with something so others in the same situation can maybe have a blueprint.

Now im only concerned with fitment. The shop doing my install says it almost a guarantee there will be a fitment issue/gap with an aftermarket bumper. Dont know enough about PhaseOne to comment, so i can only hope its as close to oem as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds good. Luckily i dont use my fogs. It'd be nice if they could come up with something so others in the same situation can maybe have a blueprint.

Now im only concerned with fitment. The shop doing my install says it almost a guarantee there will be a fitment issue/gap with an aftermarket bumper. Dont know enough about PhaseOne to comment, so i can only hope its as close to oem as possible.
Fitment won't be an issue from what I understand. I talked to Bryan directly at Kies and he said the top portion is directly off the OEM F30 bumper and the bottom is off an OEM M2 bumper and plastic welded.

I know there can be fitment issues on other aftermarket bumpers but don't think we'll have any issues with this one.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Fitment won't be an issue from what I understand. I talked to Bryan directly at Kies and he said the top portion is directly off the OEM F30 bumper and the bottom is off an OEM M2 bumper and plastic welded.

I know there can be fitment issues on other aftermarket bumpers but don't think we'll have any issues with this one.
Cool! I was just emailing with david and there was a miscommunication on my end about which gap i was referring to. So i was sent pictures and still left kind of wondering.

Didn't know the two halves were essentially OEM.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Once you get the bumper off you will see how much slack you have in the sensor harnesses. I would guess there should be more than enough. I think the harnesses are a shared part number across BMW and so there is slack for that reason.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 1
gfa325.50
      05-19-2020, 06:45 AM   #13
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

subscribed for pics
      05-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
subscribed for pics
should be done painting any day now, very excited.

To anyone who for some reason has to drill the PDC holes (you can just save yourself the burden and get a bumper with them pre-drilled)

You will most likely need to order a 30 mm stepped drill bit online. My shop did not have one. Autozone did not have one. Home depot did not have one. One of those weird European car things I guess...

Amazon carries them for cheap and the reviews are from people doing exactly this lol. Not sure if we can post links, but DM me if you need it. Or just google 30 mm stepped drill.
      05-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Kies just posted the install vid. Bumper looks solid. Cant wait!

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bumper was painted and installed today. Unfortunately its not a spot on exact color match. Its a slight shade darker in the sun which i was told was to be expected.

Fitment will be absolutely perfect for most. Im sort of a perfectionist so the slight space between the hood and bumper wont bother most but it triggers my OCD if i stare long enough. Nothing spacers cant fix. Note: the space is not nearly as big as the one left after installing a GTS hood(I dont have a GTS hood).

It looks really good! Coming from a sport line bumper, this was needed to get proper flow to my larger after-market intercooler and it definitely looks 10x more aggressive but im not sure im in love with it just yet. It'll have to grow on me for sure. May have it repainted ...

I'll post pics sometime later today!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #17
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are two low light pics. I'll post pics with better lighting soon
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
rcaso26331.00
gfa325.50
Poochie9104.50
      06-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #18
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A few more ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

looks amazing!
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      06-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #20
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Its getting repainted now lol. There are 3 variations of Imperial blue metallic and the shop sprayed A. Should have sprayed C!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #21
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Are you having any issues with the PDC on your bumper? I'm having some issue with the location of the PDC holes on the fangs towards the outer end of the bumper on both sides.
2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #22
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Are you having any issues with the PDC on your bumper? I'm having some issue with the location of the PDC holes on the fangs towards the outer end of the bumper on both sides.
what issues?

I actually could not complete my bumper project before my FBO install and custom tuning. Need to make a whole thread about that, vargas GC turbo, dorch stage 2 hpfp, vader solutions LPFP, port injection kit from EOS. It's gonna be sweeeet.

But this bumper swap is the first thing I'm doing when it gets back this week or next week.

I actually chose to put the holes more in the middle of the fangs because I had heard of issues of the PDC sensors going crazy from being too close to the edge of the fangs. (read it on the M2 forum from somebody retrofitting PDC sensors onto their bumper).