F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Rubber Moulding Issues
ARMA SPEED

05-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Rubber Moulding Issues

I seem to recall a previous post about this but couldn’t find it.

The rubber moulding trim pieces on my 2016 BMW 435i have been problematic in that they get white spots on them when water drops get on them and dry up. I’ve always wondered why BMW didn’t use the same glossy trim material (plastic I believe) for the left/right windshield moulding pieces.

I’ve put Wolfgang trim sealant on them a few times and helps for a bit. I just realized how to pull them off (clips) so I could better apply the sealant and not get any on the windows. Way back when I first had the car, the dealer replaced the pieces free of charge (under warranty) when I had the issue. The car has only about 31,000 miles on it and it’s garaged when not driven so the rest is in pristine shape.

Anyone else deal with this issue or have a better recommendation for a sealant/coating to put on those rubber pieces? I may just buy two new ones and start again. That rubber gets so easily scratched/chafed too.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

so I used carpro Dlux on all my rubber trim pieces round about a year ago seems to hold up fairly well 1 application. I did prep all the areas first with eraser prior to application. I do have a bottle of Lithium Trim Serum that I'm itching to play with. But just haven't gotten to it as the pollen season has been really bad in the northeast right now, but will report back when I do.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Before you applied the trim sealant, did you clean
the trim first? I usually dampen a microfiber towel with an all purpose cleaner and scrub the trim and after it dries apply the sealant. If that doesn't work, you could try a trim restorer and then apply the Wolfgang sealant after that. See link below:

https://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html
      06-04-2020, 05:37 AM   #4
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Before you applied the trim sealant, did you clean
the trim first? I usually dampen a microfiber towel with an all purpose cleaner and scrub the trim and after it dries apply the sealant. If that doesn't work, you could try a trim restorer and then apply the Wolfgang sealant after that. See link below:

https://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I made sure to clean it well before I applied the sealant. We shall see how it holds up. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0