F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 microfilter replacing
Studio RSR

04-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #23
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Good info and thanks for the responses both. Im going to get the blue and the OE, because why not. I will report back with that i notice once i get/install them.

I drive like 5k per year, and never really in dusty environments or anything, so ill replace every 1-2 years or when i start to smell something.

Edit: Here is what i ordered:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/cab...r-cto-80004354

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...119237555-blue

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 04-14-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #24
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi

i had to do a friend of mines cabin filter today and we ordered the blue filter for him off fcp euro. it looks eye appealing (even though you will never see it until you take it back out). and it is definitely directional as u can see from pics. i installed mine arrows facing forward. it makes me feel better seeing his car is protected by a facemask especially in a time like this lololololol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #25
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

I just replace mine annually (which is 15k about) with fcp euro warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #26
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
I just replace mine annually (which is 15k about) with fcp euro warranty
Just wondering... do you drive around with no filter during the time it takes to ship yours back and wait for the new one to arrive or maybe have a second car?

No way that process takes less than a full week... always wondered about this aspect of their lifetime warranty.

Unless you have two vehicles, Im guess there is always at least a week of downtime between free replacements?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEaterF30 View Post
i had to do a friend of mines cabin filter today and we ordered the blue filter for him off fcp euro. it looks eye appealing (even though you will never see it until you take it back out). and it is definitely directional as u can see from pics. i installed mine arrows facing forward. it makes me feel better seeing his car is protected by a facemask especially in a time like this lololololol
Cool, i will probably give the blue one a shot first. I can't see the arrows on the image online, but does this mean you oriented it so that the blue side is facing the incoming air (so the incoming air hits the blue side)? I'll have to take a look at the one coming out to see which way the arrows point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Just wondering... do you drive around with no filter during the time it takes to ship yours back and wait for the new one to arrive or maybe have a second car?

No way that process takes less than a full week... always wondered about this aspect of their lifetime warranty.

Unless you have two vehicles, Im guess there is always at least a week of downtime between free replacements?
Good question for all lifetime warranty items. I ordered 2 so i guess i will swap in my 2nd one while i warranty the first one. I suppose you could also swap back in your original one (before you ordered the FCP one) while you warranty it. I definitely would not drive around with no filter in there (mostly because of how it could affect downstream components, not necessarily because of the air quality since i drive 90s cars sometimes with no filters, or drive with the windows down).
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      04-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #28
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Good question for all lifetime warranty items. I ordered 2 so i guess i will swap in my 2nd one while i warranty the first one. I suppose you could also swap back in your original one (before you ordered the FCP one) while you warranty it. I definitely would not drive around with no filter in there (mostly because of how it could affect downstream components, not necessarily because of the air quality since i drive 90s cars sometimes with no filters, or drive with the windows down).
That's not how it's supposed to work. You buy a new one from them, and when you get it you install it and then send your old one back. When they get the old one they credit the new one/purchase you made.

Quote:
Cool, i will probably give the blue one a shot first. I can't see the arrows on the image online, but does this mean you oriented it so that the blue side is facing the incoming air (so the incoming air hits the blue side)? I'll have to take a look at the one coming out to see which way the arrows point.
My video at 2:53 shows how the arrows should be oriented.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #29
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
arrow points toward engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #30
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi

i agree arrows forward! and i think these filters should be changed every year. ive had my car almost 2 years, i swapped the filter out about a year ago and mine was gross coming out
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #31
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:

Yeah, like Farkle said, I pay for a replacement they ship it (It normally sits in my garage for a month before I replace it) and then I ship the old one back to them for warranty credit.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Just installed the blue filter today. No difference in dimensions or anything comapred to the BMW one or the non-BMW replacement (not blue one). My old one didnt look too bad, some dirt and lent along the bottom, but i did notice it weighted probably 5x as much as the new one, so it had likely captured quite a bit of material. It was in the car when i bought it late 2018, so i expect it was around 4 years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #33
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

so when i turn the a/c on it STINKS. it been there since last year. I replaced the filter oem one, after a couple of days the a/c still STINKS. anything i can do?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pongkin View Post
so when i turn the a/c on it STINKS. it been there since last year. I replaced the filter oem one, after a couple of days the a/c still STINKS. anything i can do?
Did you pull the filter and inspect up in there? I used my phone today when i was installing with flash on and voice commands on to take pictures all around inside the slot where the filter came out. It looked very clean.

Aside from that, you can try BG Frigi-Fresh. I used it on another car of mine that does not have a cabin air filter. In that case i pulled the blower fan, cleaned out the air ducts and condense (which was quite dirty), then turned the fan into max and sprayed a bunch of the frigifresh into the inlet below the window. I ended up using only about half the small can and it seemed to make a big difference. Let the fan run about 5 minutes after i was done to clear out anything left.

https://www. bgprod .com /catalog/climate-control/bg-frigi-fresh/

In the case of this car, you might have to do this with the filter removed... I would be a little concerned though as i am not exactly sure how the HVAC system is setup in the BMW.

EDIT: There is also ozone treatment.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #35
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Your complaint is very common in humid climates. There is mold/mildew inside the drain area of your air conditioning system.

If you do a search... you'll find that some others have had success with spraying an AC system cleaner directly through the drain tube and presumably up into/against the condenser.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #36
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Just installed the blue filter today. No difference in dimensions or anything comapred to the BMW one or the non-BMW replacement (not blue one). My old one didnt look too bad, some dirt and lent along the bottom, but i did notice it weighted probably 5x as much as the new one, so it had likely captured quite a bit of material. It was in the car when i bought it late 2018, so i expect it was around 4 years old.
Hahaha I did had the same exact experience yesterday. Installed the Blue one from Fcp euro to replace the (probably) original oe filter after ~4 yrs. Noticed how much heavier the original was as well.
Anybody on here install a new oem filter recently? Are they heavy out of the box or do they get bogged down with contaminates over time?
      04-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #37
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Try leaving the thermostat between 72-76F degrees with AC 'On" and fan speed near MAX.

Living in the humid SE US and never a problem with this set up in a BMW.

From my own experience operating the fan at low speed with thermostat set below 72F is more likely to result in a smell. I'm not exactly sure why.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #38
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Hahaha I did had the same exact experience yesterday. Installed the Blue one from Fcp euro to replace the (probably) original oe filter after ~4 yrs. Noticed how much heavier the original was as well.
Anybody on here install a new oem filter recently? Are they heavy out of the box or do they get bogged down with contaminates over time?
Yes I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Both Genuine BMW and both had some weight to them. I was kinda surprised actually.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #39
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. Both Genuine BMW and both had some weight to them. I was kinda surprised actually.
Ok, thanks. Sounds like the oe must be a thicker filter element than the cheap blue ones, for better or worse.
      04-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #40
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, thanks. Sounds like the oe must be a thicker filter element than the cheap blue ones, for better or worse.
Blue isn't carbon impregnated right? If not that might be why.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Blue isn't carbon impregnated right? If not that might be why.
It has a layer of carbon: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...119237555-blue

The overall structure may be different though, aside from the blue layer on this one. To me it sounded like the new filter made things flow a little better/easier, could have been placebo though.

Quote:
Try leaving the thermostat between 72-76F degrees with AC 'On" and fan speed near MAX.

Living in the humid SE US and never a problem with this set up in a BMW.

From my own experience operating the fan at low speed with thermostat set below 72F is more likely to result in a smell. I'm not exactly sure why.
Low fan speed and low thermostat temp likely leads to ice/frost buildup on the condenser, then when you park the ice melts and while the water can drain, moisture remains in the system. The standard advice for any car is to turn the AC off a few minutes before your destination and run the fan on high speed to dry out the condenser and entire system. You never really want to drive with the AC on until your destination and turn off the car because moisture will condense on the condenser if its still cold.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #42
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
I just changed my cabin air filter after I forgot to change it for 1.5 years. I bought OEM, but now I really wanna try the blue one next! Anyone notice any differences at all?

I see FCP Euro and ECS Tuning both sell blue filters, they look the same but have a different label. I guess I'll order whichever has cheaper shipping to Canada.

Re: weight. The OEM one I bought wasn't very heavy.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #43
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassub View Post
I just changed my cabin air filter after I forgot to change it for 1.5 years. I bought OEM, but now I really wanna try the blue one next! Anyone notice any differences at all?

I see FCP Euro and ECS Tuning both sell blue filters, they look the same but have a different label. I guess I'll order whichever has cheaper shipping to Canada.

Re: weight. The OEM one I bought wasn't very heavy.
After i installed the blue one it sounds like the air flows more freely (with less restriction). Hard to quantify so could be placebo but the new one certainly cant hurt. My old one didnt really stink or anything so no difference there. The weight difference, new blue being much lighter than old BMW, was the main thing i noticed.

The dimensions of old BMW vs. New OEM non-BMW vs. new blue were exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #44
antsgame
Rep
Drives: F30 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Both of the above
Lol
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50