F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > recommended for brake pads and rotors
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
Hgill11
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

need help with new brakes

I have the stock OEM grey caliper brakes for my 435i it's time to replace them . I added bm3 and now I feel like I need better breaking.
I know the OEM have alot of dust and sometimes can be noisy but what I am looking for is better performance .
I got recommended the powestop z26 but not sure about ceramic brakes. also have heard good things about EBC yellowstuff . looking for a OEM type of feel hard and good bite . definitely will be doing slotted and drilled rotors cause they look better anyways but anyone recommend which pads I should get!
so looking for better performance and good hard feel like OEM don't mind dust or noise safety is more important . also in Canada

please let me know if anyone has any experience thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I personally love Akebono Euro brake pads, not too expensive and very good at the track and on the street, low dust.
OEM pads are way too dusty.

Then you have track pads: I love them, but not the squeal and tired of changing pads each time I go to the track.

As for rotors, I don't get into slotted or drilled or dimpled... I always used blank rotors on my race cars and track cars with aggressive pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I have Akebono and cannot recommend them if your priority is a "hard and good bite". They are more in the boat of "quiet and dust free" with adequate performance. Semi-metallic would be the way to go if you are after the most performance. My OEM M Sport pads had a significantly stronger bite, but the dust and noise made me switch.

Edit: Decent comparison chart here.

Last edited by mlev; 05-05-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
cleaver
Private
Rep
Drives: white F31 328xi

Very happy with Hawk HPS 5.0 - very firm pedal, good bite, and minimal (gray) dust. And I agree with plain rotors (I used Zimmerman) - cheap, maximum surface area, and no risk of cracking at the holes or "cheese grating" the pads.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #5
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Just recently swapped put my akebono Euros for Ferodo DS2500 pads all around. The initial bite is better than those and oem. Sometimes it feels as if I had pressed the pedal too hard. It also went on with new fluid, 345 rears and stainless lines though. The bite is really really good. So far no dust at all and it's been a couple weeks since I washed the wheels.

The akebonos are low dust as well, but not as much bite. Never tracked those# but definitely intend to track on the ferodo. Oem power right now.

If you want akebonos I have some used fronts and brand new rears for the 340/330 gray msport.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgill11 View Post
I have the stock OEM grey caliper brakes for my 435i it's time to replace them . I added bm3 and now I feel like I need better breaking.
I know the OEM have alot of dust and sometimes can be noisy but what I am looking for is better performance .
I got recommended the powestop z26 but not sure about ceramic brakes. also have heard good things about EBC yellowstuff . looking for a OEM type of feel hard and good bite . definitely will be doing slotted and drilled rotors cause they look better anyways but anyone recommend which pads I should get!
so looking for better performance and good hard feel like OEM don't mind dust or noise safety is more important . also in Canada

You have Front 340x30 and Rear 330x20. Get Hawk 5.0 pads. Great bite and a huge improvement over stock and especially ceramics being suggested.

Get StopTech Crossdrilled rotors. There's a reason BMW puts Crossdrilled on M3's!

Replace rubber brake hoses with stainless steel brake lines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 03:02 AM   #7
Hgill11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

You have Front 340x30 and Rear 330x20. Get Hawk 5.0 pads. Great bite and a huge improvement over stock and especially ceramics being suggested.

Get StopTech Crossdrilled rotors. There's a reason BMW puts Crossdrilled on M3's!

does anyone know what kind of pads the OEM ones are? which brand and are they organic or semi metallic 2014 435i grey callipers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 04:56 AM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

does anyone know what kind of pads the OEM ones are? which brand and are they organic or semi metallic 2014 435i grey callipers
BMW uses different pad manufacturers but when I've removed stock pads from those calipers they are often made by Pagid. They are no better than average in brake performance and put out a very sticky black dust. Hawk 5.0 pads are by far the best street pad. Best bite, instant warm up and light dust that washes right off.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I have no experience with the above brands and have yet to do anything with mine on my F30, so take what I say with that in mind...

I've always used and had great results with Powerstop Z23 & Z26 components. I only replace the rotors if they become warped. For some reason, I have a tendency to warp rotors on every car I've owned, except this one for some reason. Once I get the Powerstop rotors, the warping stops.

But, when it comes time to replace the pads, assuming I still haven't warped my rotors, I will get the Z23 or Z26 pads. Good feel, power, and minimal dust.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:56 AM   #10
Hgill11
Rep

might just go with the power stop z26 as they come in a kit on rock auto . my mechanic said to get drilled and slotted not sure if they are better.
anyone know of a cheap place to get the Hawks ? or if they come as a kit with everything rotors and sensors etc
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

+1 for the Akebonos in terms of dust and performance. I believe Akebono still includes sensors, which is a really nice add-on. Downside, in my experience, is shortened rotor life.

Now on the Hawks 5.0 (my first set). What I like about these pads is their linear feel. Great for suburban/highway driving. They also include their own brake paste, which is a nice touch. Also, I was impressed with the quality look of the product out of the box. I'd it looks a tad better than OEs. What I'm not so crazy about is their slower than OE initial bite and occasional squeal. I will say some of the initial squeal I had has now dissipated so that may have been part of the break-in period.

As for rotors, never had an issue with OEs but I've had good luck with Zimmermans as well. But whether OE or Zimmerman, 'coated' rotors still get rusty. I fixed this problem by getting caliper paint (silver/grey) and spaying the hats, inside of hat, and the cooling vanes. This turned out to be an excellent rust preventative. If you want to get pre-painted, Centric/StopTech make a rotor that has it's hats painted black. I have not seen complaints of rusty hats with this brand.

You can do your own research but when I looked, outside of racing pads, street pads all seemed to have similar braking properties once you got to an OE level of quality. If you want significantly more braking power, consider bigger brakes.
      05-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:

Since dust is not a concern, OEM brake pads remain an option: great initial bite while preserving the rotor life.

What's your budget for the brakes upgrade? The price for a pair of rotors can vary quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
Hgill11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:

Since dust is not a concern, OEM brake pads remain an option: great initial bite while preserving the rotor life.

What's your budget for the brakes upgrade? The price for a pair of rotors can vary quite a bit.
under 1000 , just worried I won't like the aftermarket ones and it will be to late
Appreciate 0