F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car won't start after failed Bootmod3 flash
GetBMWParts

07-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Car won't start after failed Bootmod3 flash

Hey guys.

So I've been using stage 1 91 octane then I found some 93 gas so I decided to flash 93 map. But it sort of went through but bootmod3 was unable to clear the codes. As a result I can't turn my car on. The car goes to ignition on mode but I can't turn the actual engine on.

I read through some posts but nothing has worked so far.

1. Disconnect negative terminal for 10 minutes then try to reflash
2. Reflash using the force reflash and unlock option (suggested by BM3 support)
3. DME reset under diagnostic then reflash
4. Use laptop and iOS to see if it was the devices.

So I'm at my wit's end here. I've been waiting for my insurance company to find me towing for the past half hour with no luck so I'm kind of stuck at a parking lot with no public transit either. In hindsight, I should've done this at home but since my first flash went so well I didn't think it would go all SNAFU on me.

I'll probably end up calling a friend to ask if he can give me a ride home and then maybe back to the parking lot but I still need to fix it and PTF is closed for the weekend.

Any help would be great.
      08-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

What happened during the flash? Did it finish with 100% complete turn off car wait 5 sec then start the car or it got stuck somewhere and it got interrupt?

Asking because it happened to me 2 night ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
What happened during the flash? Did it finish with 100% complete turn off car wait 5 sec then start the car or it got stuck somewhere and it got interrupt?

Asking because it happened to me 2 night ago.
Initially it would finish but didn't clear codes despite the box saying clearing all codes.
Then it proceeded to go all the way to successfully finished but in like 3 seconds so I knew something wasn't right even though it said successfully finished.
Now it just fails before start according to the dialog box.

Currently have battery on charger at home. I had to take it out of the car as I live in an apartment and that was a pain due to the lower battery bracket thing...
      08-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is what I did to mine per PTF said to update the agent but I have the newest again installed so I went to doing the following

Turn of your antivirus/internet security software.
Uninstall the current agent
Install a freshly downloaded new agent.
Then try again to reflash the car.

Maybe this will work for you too.

Be sure the internet security is off and also disable the windows defender while your at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Initially it would finish but didn't clear codes despite the box saying clearing all codes.
Then it proceeded to go all the way to successfully finished but in like 3 seconds so I knew something wasn't right even though it said successfully finished.
Now it just fails before start according to the dialog box.

Currently have battery on charger at home. I had to take it out of the car as I live in an apartment and that was a pain due to the lower battery bracket thing...
How did it go?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
How did it go?
Well, it wasn't the battery.
Bootmod support suggested it was a faulty ENET cable so I ordered one but ZGW Search tool was able to the car just fine.
So upon doing some searching it seems on bootmod3 enthusiast facebook group, Zed coding seems to have helped many people recover from something similar to what I experienced, and so I reached out.
And now within 4 hours of contacting him, my Yanny is back to life!
Albeit with a stock tune, but I think I'm going to keep Yanny in the current form for now.

Here is link to the fb. It took Zed an hour plus but it finally worked!
https://www.facebook.com/zedcoding/
      08-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #7
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

what ended up being the actual problem?
      08-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I think something went wrong during flashing where it put it in like a weird mode. The coder didn't tell me exactly how the stock tune was flashed, but it was an hour+ session and told me the software was rejected when he went through regular ways.

Which makes sense because when I went into E-Sys before going to the coder to see if it really is the ENET cable, it could connect to the car just fine but when it came to ECU part, it just gave an error saying value null or something like that.
      08-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I think something went wrong during flashing where it put it in like a weird mode. The coder didn't tell me exactly how the stock tune was flashed, but it was an hour+ session and told me the software was rejected when he went through regular ways.

Which makes sense because when I went into E-Sys before going to the coder to see if it really is the ENET cable, it could connect to the car just fine but when it came to ECU part, it just gave an error saying value null or something like that.
was the failure vehicle related or bm3/software related? in your position, if it wasn't your or your car's fault, I would reach out to PTF about compensating the cost of the coding session.. especially if it was their software's fault, obviously if it wasn't I would pony up for the bill, but try to find out what went wrong and post it so nobody else runs into the same issue too.. glad you got it all sorted out though, I would be sweatin' it if I thought I had bricked my car during a failed flash, I had an error one time but was able to just reflash after and all was okay luckily (MHD though).
      03-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #10
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

Quote:
Hey guys.

So I've been using stage 1 91 octane then I found some 93 gas so I decided to flash 93 map. But it sort of went through but bootmod3 was unable to clear the codes. As a result I can't turn my car on. The car goes to ignition on mode but I can't turn the actual engine on.

So I'm at my wit's end here. I've been waiting for my insurance company to find me towing for the past half hour with no luck so I'm kind of stuck at a parking lot with no public transit either. In hindsight, I should've done this at home but since my first flash went so well I didn't think it would go all SNAFU on me.

I'll probably end up calling a friend to ask if he can give me a ride home and then maybe back to the parking lot but I still need to fix it and PTF is closed for the weekend.

Any help would be great.
Quote:
Hey guys.

Any help would be great.

Same or similar problem, tried to reflash my stage 2 93 OTS map to improve burbles and get GTS roar (in retrospect idk if that is even available for N55, but it was an option) the flash didn't go through, failed 2 times at 1%, reflash to stock failed at 14%. Car won't start. There are various malfunction messages on the dashboard. Charged my battery with a 30amp charger, kept the charger hooked up and tried to reflash again Stage 2 - failed, no % progress displayed. PTF advised to go to stock next - failed at "clearing codes" stage. Luckily PTF have been super responsive and looking for a workaround to get my car to start. If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know! No recent BMW updates, car was running stage 2 flawlessly for several months! I flash through my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hristo.p View Post
I flash through my iPhone.
There is your problem
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #12
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Quote:
I flash through my iPhone.
There is your problem
I did several flawless flashes though. There is always a first time I guess. I ordered a new cable and will try with my MacBook.

Will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #13
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
I did several flawless flashes though. There is always a first time I guess. I ordered a new cable and will try with my MacBook.

Will keep you all posted.
Likewise i have flashed a handful of times via iPhone but the app is hot garbage IMO. There is a big issue when it comes to the phone detecting the car (AKA the phone acting as the OBD agent). It either works or it doesn't for me and is quite frustrating.

Laptop will sort you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #14
trebec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
There is your problem
What does that even mean? I do it all the time through my iPhone and the MHD wireless dongle, never had an issue in 10 plus flashes.
      03-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #15
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Apple are always updating their security, most likely something has been changed in the phones soft wear and could now be giving you issues. Laptop is always the better way to do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #16
Kbeezy86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC

Garage List
2017 BMW 430i GC  [10.00]
My car went through this same problem. If the dealership has recently updated your system. The DME(ecu) will fail cause the vehicle to not start. The new update flags cars with flash tunes. Only way to get it fixed is at the dealership, they will reset the DME(ecu)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #17
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslice86 View Post
My car went through this same problem. If the dealership has recently updated your system. The DME(ecu) will fail cause the vehicle to not start. The new update flags cars with flash tunes. Only way to get it fixed is at the dealership, they will reset the DME(ecu)
My car is 2015, out of warranty and I haven't been to the dealership in ages... some of the newer models can get updates wirelessly (dealer updating you software without you knowing) but I doubt that's the case here. I saw some other reports with the same issues, it their cars were updated at the dealer.
I have a remote session scheduled with PTF tomorrow who will look into the issue remotely.

Will keep you all posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #18
rt19504
Registered
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

Quote:

just registered to note that i am having the same problem as everyone here.

have a new m4 (2019) tried to flash on bootmod3 after unlocking the ecu and it fails at 1% and now i cannot start the car as the ecu is corrupted.
will be looking through it with bm3 support tomorrow, but not holding my breath as we all seem to have the same problem.

likely going to have to end up taking it back to bmw
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #19
Kbeezy86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt19504 View Post
Quote:

have a new m4 (2019) tried to flash on bootmod3 after unlocking the ecu and it fails at 1% and now i cannot start the car as the ecu is corrupted.
will be looking through it with bm3 support tomorrow, but not holding my breath as we all seem to have the same problem.

My car is finally ready after a week of being in the shop. The dealership reached out BMW and was told the tune was bad. When I was trying to flash stage 1, it would get to 3% then crash. PTF told me the only way to get passed it was to bench unlock, I would have to send them my DME(ecu).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
My car is 2015, out of warranty and I haven't been to the dealership in ages... some of the newer models can get updates wirelessly (dealer updating you software without you knowing) but I doubt that's the case here. I saw some other reports with the same issues, it their cars were updated at the dealer.
I have a remote session scheduled with PTF tomorrow who will look into the issue remotely.

I agree its unlikely its due to a software update, but let us know how it goes.

Quote:

Quote:
My car is finally ready after a week of being in the shop. The dealership reached out BMW and was told the tune was bad. When I was trying to flash stage 1, it would get to 3% then crash. PTF told me the only way to get passed it was to bench unlock, I would have to send them my DME(ecu).
Although you might be having the same failed flash issue, OP's problem is likely different. You are talking about a newer model, different car, different DME, etc. Plus, OP had already flashed and been running BM3 previously.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #21
Kbeezy86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

I agree its unlikely its due to a software update, but let us know how it goes.

Quote:

Quote:
Although you might be having the same failed flash issue, OP's problem is likely different. You are talking about a newer model, different car, different DME, etc. Plus, OP had already flashed and been running BM3 previously.
I was running BM3 stage 1 for 3months all of a sudden now it started this. My dealer updated my software the beginning of March.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #22
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
I was running BM3 stage 1 for 3months all of a sudden now it started this. My dealer updated my software the beginning of March.
What's your i-step version
Appreciate 0