F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > car feels quicker in sport vs sport+?
ARMA SPEED

05-06-2021, 09:07 AM   #45
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It depends on the driver and what they are comfortable with. I autocross and track as well, but in my M3, I don't put it in sport+ simply because I run DSC completely off and the rear tires can break loose even in 2nd gear. I prefer the linear nature of the less aggressive throttle mapping to allow for more precise control. It also allows me to steer with the throttle much easier.

Also, consider this: A BMW team racer recommended to track the F80 in comfort mode for the same reason! I'm sure a tuned F30 would be similar.
I've only driven an F80 once and the throttle response was rather different than my N55 F32 in most modes. The response is much better.

For a while I ran in DSC off mode too for autocross in order to let the back end get a little more loose, but I found the throttle response to be way too slow. I can accelerate much faster due to power coming on quicker, and my times are measurably quicker when running in Sport+. So far, the nannies haven't shut me down in Sport+ and I'm learning to adapt to the less linear throttle response.

I think this is where the subtleties between a road course and autocross come into play. I would most likely run in DSC off mode like you do on a track (and recommended by others). Far more important to be able to finesse a linear throttle in high speed track transitions than quickly blast between "gates" on an autocross.