F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Anyone retrofitted DVT-T TV Tuner?
Studio RSR

04-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 330d msport

Anyone retrofitted DVT-T TV Tuner?

Wondering if anyone has any info re retrofitting the DVB module for tv in Europe? Looks like a relatively simple wiring and coding job if the wiring pinout etc was well known.

And before anyone says it's pointless blah blah blah. I know I just like gadgets and the module can be had on fleebay for £150 ish
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

It's already been retrofitted. I encourage you to skim through this thread for further details.

Last edited by zatelli; 04-30-2021 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Link updated
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
It's already been retrofitted. I encourage you to skim through this thread for further details.
Hi, think the link is broken
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster99 View Post
Wondering if anyone has any info re retrofitting the DVB module for tv in Europe? Looks like a relatively simple wiring and coding job if the wiring pinout etc was well known.

And before anyone says it's pointless blah blah blah. I know I just like gadgets and the module can be had on fleebay for £150 ish
I did this retrofit 5 years ago and still found the parts list from back then.
You only have to translate the part names.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

Hier you can find wiring diagram
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TV reception.pdf (63.0 KB, 714 views)
      04-29-2021, 03:34 PM   #6
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post

I did this retrofit 5 years ago and still found the parts list from back then.
You only have to translate the part names.

Thanks, what coding did you have to do? Did you modual need to be flashed to get it working?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siki78 View Post
Hier you can find wiring diagram
Cheers mate! What pinout on the headunit do you think I should use if I have nbt evo?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

I think 34,40,38
Attached Images

04-30-2021, 03:11 AM   #9
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Thanks, what coding did you have to do? Did you modual need to be flashed to get it working?
I didn't need to flash.
I added the 601 to the VO and coded the HU and TVModul with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Hi, think the link is broken
My bad, I didn't double check. Fixed
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Does anyone know how I could find the individual fdl codings for 601 tv.

I know I could vo code 601 to the hu but it would reset previous work to defaults
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Finished the retrofit! Just thought I'd post a small conclusion for anyone reading this in the future that's considering this retrofit. It's pretty straight forward job..

The only prerequisite I can think of is having pro nav.

You'll need the following.
- Tv module
(preferably the DVBT-T2) This is the best one, I believe it's the only one that gets HD channels.

-Fbas cable
I bought a used 5.2m one of eBay that already has connecting pins of either end

-MOST Y cable

- 2X ampire ant600 antenna or similar
I'm just using 1 ant600 at the moment and the signal is pretty weak. I've ordered a 2nd so that will hopefully be better. I would've liked to implement something more oem for the antennas but I'm not sure how to go about that. I might try putting a splitter on the dab antenna and trying that. Also haven't decided where to locate the aftermarket antennas. Possibly on the inside of the rear window if I get good signal strength and it doesn't effect other other antennas.

As far as coding is concerned it's super easy. Code HU_NBT2 in my case. Just search for
TVM_VARIANTEN
tvm_dvb_t_rse = activ

And TV
Wert = 4/10/1 etc depending on what pins you used for the fbas cable on the hu.

And yeah that's pretty much it. Hooked it up to fuse 124 and seems to be working a treat.
Appreciate 1
atzebmw588.00
      07-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

UPDATE:

After living with the aftermarket ant600 antennas for a month or so I decided to go for a oem antenna set up in hopes it would improve signal quality.

After research on Ista and real oem I ordered 2 wave trap modules (65209240510) from bmw and 2x 3 meter female to female fakra cables from eBay. The installation process was very easy, simply swap your existing wave trap modules for the new ones and run the fakra lead between them and the tv module itself.
Now I'm able to use one of my spare ant600 antennas on the third (pink) connector on the tv module. This is dedicated for channel scanning.

The results:
Signal is vastly improved!! Some places where previously I was never able to get a signal now have perfect reception. Such as my work place car park. So for anyone thinking about this retrofit I wouldn't waste my time with ant600 antennas apart from using one for channel scanning on the third connector if as I don't believe f30's officially support this feature.

Just thought I'd post this as a conclusion for anyone reading up on this retrofit in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:10 AM   #14
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 series 435 Xdrive

Quote:
UPDATE:

After living with the aftermarket ant600 antennas for a month or so I decided to go for a oem antenna set up in hopes it would improve signal quality.

After research on Ista and real oem I ordered 2 wave trap modules (65209240510) from bmw and 2x 3 meter female to female fakra cables from eBay. The installation process was very easy, simply swap your existing wave trap modules for the new ones and run the fakra lead between them and the tv module itself.
Now I'm able to use one of my spare ant600 antennas on the third (pink) connector on the tv module. This is dedicated for channel scanning.

The results:
Signal is vastly improved!! Some places where previously I was never able to get a signal now have perfect reception. Such as my work place car park. So for anyone thinking about this retrofit I wouldn't waste my time with ant600 antennas apart from using one for channel scanning on the third connector if as I don't believe f30's officially support this feature.

Just thought I'd post this as a conclusion for anyone reading up on this retrofit in the future.
I’m in the process of fitting this myself. I don’t suppose you have a picture of the traps and where they go.
I’m retrofitting this to my F33, I know it’s not officially supported but it should work.
I’m trying to figure out the best way of fitting it
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #15
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep

Hmm, I don't see why the tv option wouldn't have been officially available on the F33. As for the set up it might be different seeing as the F33 is obviously a convertible. Although I would recon it's the same with dab and fm antennas running through the rear windscreen.

Basically your replacing the existing wave traps, located half way up the rear pillars and running extra wires to the tv module. As far as I can tell the standard wave traps are simply there to power the heated rear windscreen and stop any interference. The fm and dab antennas are located at the top of your rear windscreen.

I don't have any pictures but I could bring up the pictures/diagrams I found on Ista. Best thing would be to try and get a copy of ista yourself which is sometimes easier said than done and requires a LOT of hard drive space. Still well worth it. Also check out real oem.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:26 AM   #16
jeffijaffa
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 series 435 Xdrive

Cheers for that, I’ve found out what to get and managed to get the traps on eBay. Your right I can’t understand why it’s not an option on the F33, but there again I’ve added the digital cluster which wasn’t available on my build year no problem. I’m going to fit the TV once home from sea.

Thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:01 AM   #17
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

so I just completed this last night, total cost was about, 200 usd with the module used.

here are some additional notes for those who dive in:

you can save a few bucks by making your own fbas cable by ordering a by the meter microphone cable.

use the trap circuits instead of the 600 antennas. I have not gone for a drive yet but indoors in my garage I am picking up about 20 channels clear signal.

if you are having trouble finding trap circuits for the f30 used try the 5 or 7 series ones. I was able to save additional $$ by mounting 5 series ones i found used for about 20 bucks for two. they fit perfectly and bolt in like factory. one difference is they have two additional connections that sit disconnected. this is how it is in the 5 series btw.

if using the fakra cables and putting the TV module where it is factory fitted one 2m and one 3m fakra cables will do perfectly length wise.

for an additional 80 dollars i ordered a DVD changer as well. since I am already ordering all the mounts and trunk liner it was a very cheap little extra. I also ran two FBAS cables right off the bat.

of course make sure to order the correct TV module. in my country we switched to dvb t2 a few years ago.

Last edited by anom3; 10-28-2022 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #18
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Considering doing this myself. Was just looking at the wiring diagrams and all seems pretty easy but I do have two questions if anyone has any idea.

Firstly, it looks like the FBAS pins are 34, 40 and 38. I have retrofitted NBT Evo (from NBT) and my pin 38 is taken with a wire for Ethernet RX. I'm assuming on a car with Evo from factory this pin is one of the ones moved to the OABR connector? I think it's only the shield pin anyway so wondering if I can get away with just pins 34 and 40 and perhaps just linking the shield cable to a ground somewhere.

Secondly, as my car has hifi audio, I don't have an HK amp which means I don't have a MOST cable in the boot/trunk. Has anyone else without HK audio done this retrofit? I'm assuming that I'd need to get a 4-5 metre MOST cable to run up to behind the head unit to use a Y splitter there. That's if it can even work without an HK amp.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 04:28 AM   #19
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

cant comment 100% on the nbt question as i have a cic but which fbas you connect to doesnt really matter... as long as all 3 pins are connected to a single fbas output. once you have it wired up and coded, you can pick via coding which fbas its connected to.

eg: in my case, vo code wanted to use fbas 2, but i connected mine to fbas 3. i picked fbas 3 via coding and it works great. the only issue is they are not labled "fbas 2" etc in the fdl coding so you have to try until you pick the right one. then again, there are only 4 options so no biggy.

regarding the most i cannot comment because i have a cic with a combox and an hk amp so i have a most exactly where the tv module sits. i think running a most from the front to the back might be a bit of a pain the ass... those fiber cables are a bit tricky to work with as you dont want to flex them too hard and damage them etc. for sure doable though, just have to be slow and patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Considering doing this myself. Was just looking at the wiring diagrams and all seems pretty easy but I do have two questions if anyone has any idea.

Firstly, it looks like the FBAS pins are 34, 40 and 38. I have retrofitted NBT Evo (from NBT) and my pin 38 is taken with a wire for Ethernet RX. I'm assuming on a car with Evo from factory this pin is one of the ones moved to the OABR connector? I think it's only the shield pin anyway so wondering if I can get away with just pins 34 and 40 and perhaps just linking the shield cable to a ground somewhere.

Secondly, as my car has hifi audio, I don't have an HK amp which means I don't have a MOST cable in the boot/trunk. Has anyone else without HK audio done this retrofit? I'm assuming that I'd need to get a 4-5 metre MOST cable to run up to behind the head unit to use a Y splitter there. That's if it can even work without an HK amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 04:12 AM   #20
richardhurst
Private
Rep
Drives: April '10 525DSE

Well after leaving the world of BMW ownership for the past 4/5 years I'm back and just got myself a new 5 series tourer. Really would like one of these fitted myself but just don't have the technical knowledge to do it. Need to find someone close that does retrofits
Appreciate 0