F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Springs height difference
proTUNING Freaks

06-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
Fdirtyyyyy
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘13 Nardo gray 335i, ‘16 340i

H&R Springs height difference

I have a 2016 340i xdrive and installed the sport springs and am having some issues with the rears. Before I torqued down all the bolts, I made sure to load the suspension. I jacked up the car from the bottom tray below the rear springs until they lifted off the jack stands. I then torqued everything down to spec. I did the same thing on both sides but they sit at differed ride heights. They're probably an inch off from side to side. Any thoughts on what's wrong???
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

maybe the high side spring is not seated properly?

also i would have lowered the car completely, with all four tires on ground supporting the static weight of the vehicle, then, tightened everything up. you would have probably seen the difference then and able to fix the problem prior to completion.

sorry, actually for the rears, you cannot do it the way i suggested and would have to load the suspension the way you did it. i forgot the bolts for the dampers are secured from under, not from the inside of the car.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 06-14-2021 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Fdirtyyyyy
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘13 Nardo gray 335i, ‘16 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
maybe the high side spring is not seated properly?

also i would have lowered the car completely, with all four tires on ground supporting the static weight of the vehicle, then, tightened everything up. you would have probably seen the difference then and able to fix the problem prior to completion.

sorry, actually for the rears, you cannot do it the way i suggested and would have to load the suspension the way you did it. i forgot the bolts for the dampers are secured from under, not from the inside of the car.
That's what I checked the first time and it's seated perfectly on the boots on top and bottom on both sides. I've checked that twice now and that's all good. I don't know what else it could be. I've seen some videos where people are torquing down the bolts without loading suspension and haven't had this problem
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i would swap springs across the axle and see if the same problem persists.

is is possible one is upside-down?

the only other thing i can think of is they're not the both the same or one is defective, idk.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i would swap springs across the axle and see if the same problem persists.

is is possible one is upside-down?

the only other thing i can think of is they're not the both the same or one is defective, idk.
Yeah, an inch seems like a lot to be off by. Maybe a stock spring accidentally ended up back in there?

On the front of both of my f30's the drivers side sits about a 1/4-3/8" higher than passenger. The rears are the same though. This has been consistent across different sets of springs and the b16 coils set at the same height up front.
Appreciate 0