F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 1D2404 - Thermostat replaced
Extreme Powerhouse

05-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
LaNcE01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LR2,328i,GLC220d,LibertyGT

1D2404 - Thermostat replaced

Hi,

I need some help, I recently replaced my Thermostat due to code 1D2404. as a back story, I was replacing my oem cooler back to my aftermarket cooler after replacing it what I normally do is run bimmerlink to see if any codes pop up. I dismissed the fact that the thermostat died after installing the cooler, put on coincidence even thought I place the wrong plug (cross between the pcv valve plug) but it wasn't. SO I replaced the thermostat but, as the title suggests. the code is up. I am at a loss now on what to do. any ideas?

is the PCV plug supposed to be empty? I mean the plug is there but there is no connectors from the PCV pipe.

Car 2013 328I - N20

Please move if ive got the wrong sub-thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNcE01 View Post
Hi,

I need some help, I recently replaced my Thermostat due to code 1D2404. as a back story, I was replacing my oem cooler back to my aftermarket cooler after replacing it what I normally do is run bimmerlink to see if any codes pop up. I dismissed the fact that the thermostat died after installing the cooler, put on coincidence even thought I place the wrong plug (cross between the pcv valve plug) but it wasn't. SO I replaced the thermostat but, as the title suggests. the code is up. I am at a loss now on what to do. any ideas?

is the PCV plug supposed to be empty? I mean the plug is there but there is no connectors from the PCV pipe.

Car 2013 328I - N20

Please move if ive got the wrong sub-thread.
I am having a hard time understanding your post but I can say that if a code came on after you worked on your the first thing to do is double check your work. It's far more likely that something was not reinstalled correctly (ie a cable harness was not plugged back in) than a thermostat to coincidentally go bad right after you installed a new intercooler.
Check your work and go from there. Why did you replace the thermostat? Did you put voltage to it and see it sticking or did you just google a code and buy a part? Thats a quick way to waste a lot of money.
      05-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
LaNcE01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I am having a hard time understanding your post but I can say that if a code came on after you worked on your the first thing to do is double check your work. It's far more likely that something was not reinstalled correctly (ie a cable harness was not plugged back in) than a thermostat to coincidentally go bad right after you installed a new intercooler.
Check your work and go from there. Why did you replace the thermostat? Did you put voltage to it and see it sticking or did you just google a code and buy a part? Thats a quick way to waste a lot of money.
Yep! I agree its a quick way to waste money. it seems that the code is now gone, but the oil temp / coolant temp is still erratic. goes up to 114*C for the coolant and goes back down on a traffic light or a stop. shouldn't it be more of a stable / consistent??
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Did you bleed the system after you changed the thermostat? Trapped air could cause those symptoms.
      05-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
LaNcE01
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Did you bleed the system after you changed the thermostat? Trapped air could cause those symptoms.
yes! Did the auto bleeding feature twice.
Appreciate 0