F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Just took 335i to first track day!
Studio RSR

09-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pics. No photographer on my day. Hallet Oklahoma track. [track day pics](
https://imgur.com/a/TVJViHI)[IMG]Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pic">https://imgur.com/a/TVJViHI)[IMG]Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pic">View post on imgur.com
)[/IMG]

Edit. Extra question. My first time out I upgraded tires, fluids, and pads for safety. What steps do you make to make the n55 more reliable to track? My biggest worry is blowing the motor over time.
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
exE36M3486.00
      09-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #2
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

There is really nothing to do, I have experienced a *bit* of fuel starvation at high G's with less than 1/4 tank. There are some really fast people in the F30/32 platform from my track experience. LSD and suspension mods are a great addition and I have been running a PS2 for a few years now with no issues. The car has been solid and wonderful, I have been using Motul 600 and stop tech sport pads the past few weekend and they haven't let me down.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pics. No photographer on my day. Hallet Oklahoma track. [track day pics](
https://imgur.com/a/TVJViHI)[IMG]Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pic">https://imgur.com/a/TVJViHI)[IMG]Just took my 335i to my first track day. Changed brake fluid to RBF600 and ended up doing stop tech sports pads. They had the tiniest bit of fade in later laps. My first 3 sessions were in the rain. Little scary. Feels so good when you have a good line and makes me cringe when I missed it. Can't wait to go back! sorry for the bad pic">View post on imgur.com
)[/IMG]

Edit. Extra question. My first time out I upgraded tires, fluids, and pads for safety. What steps do you make to make the n55 more reliable to track? My biggest worry is blowing the motor over time.
I would say upgrade your brake fluid to RBF660, RBF600 overheat very quickly.

The N55 loves to rev high, I track mine and my buddy does competitive time attack with his and we both sent in our oil to blackstone and they were surprised that the oil was clean and had no traces of us beating on it.

No need to worry about the motor, just make sure you change your oil every 3.5k miles if you do a lot of tracking, and change your gaskets right away if they leak. Also check your oil after every session to make sure it's at the maximum line. I normally keep a 5L bottle of oil with me at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
There is really nothing to do, I have experienced a *bit* of fuel starvation at high G's with less than 1/4 tank. There are some really fast people in the F30/32 platform from my track experience. LSD and suspension mods are a great addition and I have been running a PS2 for a few years now with no issues. The car has been solid and wonderful, I have been using Motul 600 and stop tech sport pads the past few weekend and they haven't let me down.

I was told to always keep your fuel tank above half at all times as if your track has high G corners, you will starve your fuel pump and RIP motor. I normally go to the track with a full tank and fill up if I go below half.
      10-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
Brady154
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

That's awesome. Looks like Hallett. That is a fun track on the motorcycle, but I haven't had my car on it yet. I've modded my car pretty heavily so far, and I'd say the biggest track improvement came when I put the Ohlins Road and Track suspension on.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady154 View Post
That's awesome. Looks like Hallett. That is a fun track on the motorcycle, but I haven't had my car on it yet. I've modded my car pretty heavily so far, and I'd say the biggest track improvement came when I put the Ohlins Road and Track suspension on.
Good eye! It was hallet! I don't have anything to compare with, but I had a blast and hope to make it back soon. Ive heard the suspension changes would do wonders.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Looks like fun! Once I get my wheels, tires and suspension in, I too will be tracking my F30 335i!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great picture. The track day must have been a blast.

Is the charge pipe still OEM (plastic)? If yes - replacing it with one made by Evolution Racewerks would be my suggestion.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
Brotherhef
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great picture. The track day must have been a blast.

Is the charge pipe still OEM (plastic)? If yes - replacing it with one made by Evolution Racewerks would be my suggestion.
Yup. Luckily I had that done before track day. Mine cracked driving down the street. My car only had about 40k miles at the time. Tell everyone with a BMW. Good lookin out!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhef View Post
Yup. Luckily I had that done before track day. Mine cracked driving down the street. My car only had about 40k miles at the time. Tell everyone with a BMW. Good lookin out!
OEM charge pipe cracking at 40K miles while driving on a street ... that's the earliest failure I know of.

Glad you replaced it!
Appreciate 0