F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anybody in to whiskey? Collecting?
GetBMWParts

11-19-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Anybody in to whiskey? Collecting?

It’s my brothers big 40 in January and he’s a bit of a whiskey connoisseur, or he thinks he is

Even though I’m an alcoholic I know very little about whiskey unless it’s mixed with coke

Anyway I’m thinking of getting him a nice collectible whiskey to the tune of circa £200 - £250 ish, any ideas where to start, I’ve been on the whiskey exchange before to value one for my mother in law but that’s about it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:40 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

My cousin's hubby is into it, let me ask a question.... are you looking for a good drinker for that price or a good investment, may be very different!
Appreciate 1
Broncho2311.00
      11-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #3
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
My cousin's hubby is into it, let me ask a question.... are you looking for a good drinker for that price or a good investment, may be very different!
Good question, I’d like to think he’d keep it but knowing him he’d more than likely crack it open for a special occasion.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      11-19-2020, 05:50 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Good question, I’d like to think he’d keep it but knowing him he’d more than likely crack it open for a special occasion.
Actually, I have a virtual whisky tasting event this eve, let me ask them for recommendations in both camps...
Appreciate 1
Broncho2311.00
      11-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I have a virtual whisky tasting event this eve, let me ask them for recommendations in both camps...
Cheers, much appreciated, just an idea of where to buy would be a good point for me to start
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

I've bought Whisky and Cognac for investments but have never managed to not break the seal. Some of the most expensive ones ended up being the most disappointing too.
Just buy something they'll enjoy drinking or even a collection from his favourite distillery.
Appreciate 1
Broncho2311.00
      11-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Why would you possibly buy a bottle of whisky to keep?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
Cheers, much appreciated, just an idea of where to buy would be a good point for me to start
https://www.weedram.co.uk/

I've been here before for gifts. Very helpful in the shop so I would assume online would be similar. We mentioned a few of FiL favs and teh owner made suggestion to what else he would like. FIL was pleased with what he got.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
It’s my brothers big 40 in January and he’s a bit of a whiskey connoisseur, or he thinks he is

Even though I’m an alcoholic I know very little about whiskey unless it’s mixed with coke

Anyway I’m thinking of getting him a nice collectible whiskey to the tune of circa £200 - £250 ish, any ideas where to start, I’ve been on the whiskey exchange before to value one for my mother in law but that’s about it!
Macallan 18 is a special one - I like the sherry oak. It's £299 a bottle in most places - I've bought one this year as a present to myself for something and also had one sent by a client - I've done well. Macallan is a great bottle, sharp brand and amazing quality.

Worth finding out if you can whether he likes scotch, bourbon, or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Macallan 18 is a special one - I like the sherry oak. It's £299 a bottle in most places - I've bought one this year as a present to myself for something and also had one sent by a client - I've done well. Macallan is a great bottle, sharp brand and amazing quality.

Worth finding out if you can whether he likes scotch, bourbon, or whatever.
Indeed, cousins hubby recommended similar just now.....

I think the idea of working out what he likes is a good one, as last time we had a whisky tasting with family, I found there were types I liked and no matter how expensive some where they just didnt do it for me....

Laphroiag if anyone is buying...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Cheers gents I’ll have a look, I’m also looking at bottles from 1981 as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #12
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

He’s into malt, but does enjoy all being honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
Why would you possibly buy a bottle of whisky to keep?
Funnily enough my father in law has a collection of well over 200 high end bottles of brandy that's he's collected since the 1980s from all over the world, he's in his mid 70s now and hasn't touched a drop of them.

They're in storage somewhere now.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

I do like my whisky 🥃 and after some research, tend to purchase from https://www.masterofmalt.com/

I’ve recently purchased a Japanese tipple.can start from £30 to £8,000+ Take your pick
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Right I asked your question and tried to remember the answer...

first, does he prefer single malt or single grain? Latter tends to be cheaper and a bit more unusual...

second, if for an investment look for something from a single cask, maybe a Glencarran...

Obviously older is generally better (when it is bottled) but you might for example get an 18 year old bottled in 2000 that is still for sale. Whisky doesnt go off, although there is a small amount of evaporation which reduces the ABV and it cant be called whisky if less than 40%....

Hoping to get the presentation tomorrow so will share name of company that did pres as they said they answer questions on social media... Tonights winner for me was from Bladnoch, but that wouldnt meet your criteria...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Right I asked your question and tried to remember the answer...

first, does he prefer single malt or single grain? Latter tends to be cheaper and a bit more unusual...

second, if for an investment look for something from a single cask, maybe a Glencarran...

Obviously older is generally better (when it is bottled) but you might for example get an 18 year old bottled in 2000 that is still for sale. Whisky doesnt go off, although there is a small amount of evaporation which reduces the ABV and it cant be called whisky if less than 40%....

Hoping to get the presentation tomorrow so will share name of company that did pres as they said they answer questions on social media... Tonights winner for me was from Bladnoch, but that wouldnt meet your criteria...
Thanks for the effort for a random scouser

He’s a single malt man, mostly!

I’m looking at a couple of bottles that are 1981 the year of his birth bottled around the mid to late 90s, thing is I’m assuming they would be more of a collectors rather than a drinker?

Tough which way to go with it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #17
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Do you know which regions whisky he enjoys or any particular brand as they vary so much
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #18
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Thanks for the effort for a random scouser

He’s a single malt man, mostly!

I’m looking at a couple of bottles that are 1981 the year of his birth bottled around the mid to late 90s, thing is I’m assuming they would be more of a collectors rather than a drinker?

Tough which way to go with it!
Granted 1981 is going to be more expensive than a few bottles I got given for my 25th that were 25 year olds with 1985 vintage, but even so, one of those got drunk and the other is being saved for a special occasion (the Caol Ila was sublime and the Macallan should be rather good too!). My personal feeling is that this stuff is meant to be drunk, even if you save it for a while before you do drink it!

I'm not an expert but I do like a lot of whisky and I've been able to taste a lot of interesting ones over the years. A 1946 Muir of Ord was a particularly special bottle...

As for advice...there really aren't many bad whiskies out there any more. Even the young stuff is now decent because it's being blended to be interesting, rather than cheap. I quite often get stuff from a local place up here called Cadenheads which is a small local independent shop that does its own bottling from the ends of interesting casks. They might not be as valuable to a collector for future investment potential but they're a great way to get some fantastic whisky at a decent price, and for £300 you would get something pretty incredible IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:32 AM   #19
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

As someone else mentioned it’s worth asking from which region he likes whisky from as they have unique characteristics. I particularly like Speyside whiskies but don’t like Islands/Islay whiskies as I don’t like the peaty flavour. I’m also not keen on smoky flavoured whiskies either. For example some love Laphroiag but I don’t like it as it reminds me of TCP. Here’s a site with some good overviews of flavours:

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/dis...hisky-regions/
Appreciate 2
Craig-SM324.50
Rukka2647.00
      11-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
As someone else mentioned it's worth asking from which region he likes whisky from as they have unique characteristics. I particularly like Speyside whiskies but don't like Islands/Islay whiskies as I don't like the peaty flavour. I'm also not keen on smoky flavoured whiskies either. For example some love Laphroiag but I don't like it as it reminds me of TCP. Here's a site with some good overviews of flavours:

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/dis...hisky-regions/
You wouldn't like Johnnie Walker double black then - it tastes like diesel but I love the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #21
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
You wouldn't like Johnnie Walker double black then - it tastes like diesel but I love the stuff.
My mate loves the stuff but you’re right, not for me I’m afraid
Appreciate 0