F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tyre recommendation Required.
ARMA SPEED

11-20-2020, 12:42 AM   #23
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I saw a similar video this afternoon with a new white corvette.

Last edited by frazervalley; 11-22-2020 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #24
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: volvo s40,'16 320i,17 Golf GTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Just put Crossclimates on my car (Golf R these days) and went out for my first proper spirited drive yesterday in them. Road started out slightly damp and then ended up pretty wet. The way they deal with a wet road is surreal and their ability to dismiss standing water is almost nonchalant. Yes, they do sacrifice a slight bit of turn in and steering feel compared to the PS4, due to the softer sidewall, but it’s not night and day and they counter with better ride comfort. I’m deeply impressed so far.

Hi Cootie, I have a mk7.5 golf gti that I got just before first lockdown and find the road noise awful on anything but smooth surfaces, spoils the car for me. I currently have ps4 tyres on 225/40/18. How do you find the cross climate + noise wise compared to ps4? Particularly on rough concrete surfaces of motoways?. I've read some reviews that say quieter v original Bridgestone, some other comments say they hum on motorways.

I just want the quietest tyres possible. I don't mind if they are not as performance oriented. Considering cc+, Dunlop max x rt2 (quietest drive by dB), or conti premium contact 6(quietest in evo 2019 review on golf gti). Will have to go down soundproofing route if tyres don't reduce the noise.

I had a bmw 320i f30 before and that was fantastic all round car. No issues with noise on that car. Wish I still had it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #25
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Hi Cootie, I have a mk7.5 golf gti that I got just before first lockdown and find the road noise awful on anything but smooth surfaces, spoils the car for me. I currently have ps4 tyres on 225/40/18. How do you find the cross climate + noise wise compared to ps4? Particularly on rough concrete surfaces of motoways?. I've read some reviews that say quieter v original Bridgestone, some other comments say they hum on motorways.

I just want the quietest tyres possible. I don't mind if they are not as performance oriented. Considering cc+, Dunlop max x rt2 (quietest drive by dB), or conti premium contact 6(quietest in evo 2019 review on golf gti). Will have to go down soundproofing route if tyres don't reduce the noise.

I had a bmw 320i f30 before and that was fantastic all round car. No issues with noise on that car. Wish I still had it.

Thanks
The CrossClimates are quieter than the Bridgestones and to a lesser extent the PS4. Having a quick look at blackcircles they quote 69db which is 2-3db lower than most of the usual suspects.

On the GTi I’d also suggest getting yourself down to the VW dealer and asking them to permanently turn off the SoundAktor, which essentially is always pumping artificial engine noise into the cabin. Makes for a more pleasant cruiser, whilst retaining a nice (albeit quieter) engine note when you’re truly pressing on.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #26
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Cootie, helpful to know they are a bit quieter than ps4. How are they on concrete sections/rough surfaces. That is when i find the road noise intolerable with ps4, i can't hear radio, or sat nav , or kids talking.

It's going in for end of warranty check in 2 weeks so could ask then to turn off soundaktor. I have it set as eco for sound in individual settings so find it ok. It's the tyre noise that bothers me. Can it easily be turned back on? As if when I get new tyres fitted and fit soundproofing, if it's still too noisy I am going to get rid. I no longer enjoy driving since buying this car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #27
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

With some of the dodgy road surfacing in this country you’re always going to get challenges with tyre noise. There’s a stretch of dual carriageway close to me where every car I’ve been in struggles including different friends’ Alpina, FFRR and S-class. I would say though that my Golf is better on that stretch than my old 335d.

I suspect some CrossClimates would help, but they may not be the panacea you’re looking for. I would definitely suggest getting the dealer to disable the SoundAktor though - think they either code it out or simply unplug it (but leave in place). My dealer didn’t charge for it and supposedly it’s a reasonably common request.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #28
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Cootie.
Appreciate 0