F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mods that I should do while retaining warranty + general mods
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #1
1zhp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP Edition, 2016 M4

Mods that I should do while retaining warranty + general mods

Whats up everyone,

I have a 435i ZHP, so it comes with the mppk I believe and some other mods from the factory. Dinan has been in my crosshairs, but the Power Pack 1 is like $4200 and I just dont want to drop all that at once. I know I can buy certain parts over time, but I want to explore other options before I start getting dinan parts. Whats good with the warranty coverage with various performance mods? Anyone have any experience with this? Even general info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

not gonna get into a huge warranty discussion but most dealerships and SA's frown upon engine mods. don't mod your car if you're concerned about warranty.

since we have determined that you are going to mod your car anyway this is what i would do

disclaimer: although i only have a lowly n20 4-cyl, i am follow and am somewhat informed about N55 as well.

dinan is overpriced and there is so much better bang for the buck stuff you can spend $4200 on. these are the bolt-ons i would do for a N55.

1) flash tune such as bootmod3 or mhd, it may mean overwriting your mppk oem flash or possibly adding to it. i'd just go ahead and overwrite it anyway. stage 2 flash if aftermarket downpipe, stage 1 if stock catalyst.

2) Fabspeed high flow downpipe w/300-cell high flow catalyst or catless if you don't mind the smell and adding pollutants to our environment. if i cared, this is the mod i would be most concerned about regarding warranty.

3) upgraded fmic(front mount intercooler). many to choose from, personally i'd go wagner competition evo1 for it's light weight and tube fin core. add a cts turbo or ER(if you want to spend more) charge pipe while swapping your fmic since the stock chargepipe commonly breaks after some time.

4) upgraded cat-back, resonated or un(if you want louder) mid-pipe + axel back. i'd do an awe mid-pipe + remus axel back. kinda of a sound thing since the upgraded downpipe is the biggest exhaust mod.

5) intake, also kind of a sound thing. imo the afe momentum gt has the best design i would spend on but i've read they're mostly all equal in performance which isn't a whole lot for what you spend. a panel drop-in dry filter would suffice if you really feel the need to check the box off. personally, i'd leave mine stock.

extra credit is GFB DV+ an upgraded diverter valve

although it's not a power mod per se, lighter wheels/tires always increase performance. many reasonably priced flow formed options or forged(lighter and stronger) if money is no object

lastly here is the subforum where you should be spend time and posting question in regarding your N55. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421

cheers
Appreciate 2
1zhp20.50
      05-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

surftoad hit the nail on the head. that's pretty much the path I was going to take for my 335i. do note tho that if you go with a flash tune and BMW connects to your car they will see it's been flashed and that's a big no no to them.
Appreciate 1
1zhp20.50
      05-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
1zhp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP Edition, 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
not gonna get into a huge warranty discussion but most dealerships and SA's frown upon engine mods. don't mod your car if you're concerned about warranty.

since we have determined that you are going to mod your car anyway this is what i would do

disclaimer: although i only have a lowly n20 4-cyl, i am follow and am somewhat informed about N55 as well.

dinan is overpriced and there is so much better bang for the buck stuff you can spend $4200 on. these are the bolt-ons i would do for a N55.

1) flash tune such as bootmod3 or mhd, it may mean overwriting your mppk oem flash or possibly adding to it. i'd just go ahead and overwrite it anyway. stage 2 flash if aftermarket downpipe, stage 1 if stock catalyst.

2) Fabspeed high flow downpipe w/300-cell high flow catalyst or catless if you don't mind the smell and adding pollutants to our environment. if i cared, this is the mod i would be most concerned about regarding warranty.

3) upgraded fmic(front mount intercooler). many to choose from, personally i'd go wagner competition evo1 for it's light weight and tube fin core. add a cts turbo or ER(if you want to spend more) charge pipe while swapping your fmic since the stock chargepipe commonly breaks after some time.

4) upgraded cat-back, resonated or un(if you want louder) mid-pipe + axel back. i'd do an awe mid-pipe + remus axel back. kinda of a sound thing since the upgraded downpipe is the biggest exhaust mod.

5) intake, also kind of a sound thing. imo the afe momentum gt has the best design i would spend on but i've read they're mostly all equal in performance which isn't a whole lot for what you spend. a panel drop-in dry filter would suffice if you really feel the need to check the box off. personally, i'd leave mine stock.

extra credit is GFB DV+ an upgraded diverter valve

although it's not a power mod per se, lighter wheels/tires always increase performance. many reasonably priced flow formed options or forged(lighter and stronger) if money is no object

lastly here is the subforum where you should be spend time and posting question in regarding your N55. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421

cheers
Thanks for this! I have looked at some of the aforementioned and I guess now it is just a matter of if I can afford/avoid a voided warranty. Money is not necessarily the issue, but if something were to happen it would be quite inconvenient if the whole event cost me $8-10k within a year of owning it. If that makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
If you care about the remaining warranty on your BMW, my understanding is that your mod options should pretty much begin and end with Dinan. I would imagine that relationship and reputation is in large part why their parts cost what they do. You are paying for peace of mind. You’re in Charlotte, so you’ve got an authorized Dinan center in town at Hendrick BMW.

Do something like overwriting your MPPK with BootMod3 and you can pretty much forget about drivetrain warranty coverage from that point forward.

Are you planning to track your car? If not, you’ll be throwing money away on a FMIC.
Appreciate 0