F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > sos call system failure
Studio RSR

10-02-2022, 04:34 AM   #1
Slap_You7
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport 2017

Got the message yesterday, I understand it's the little battery that needs replacing and can cost around £500.

Is there an option to code this error out? My BC button also stopped working now once the error came up.

If you guys recommend to code it out, anyone know anyone in West Yorkshire as I live in Leeds. Or recommend someone that can do it remotely?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:19 AM   #2
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Why not just change the battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:23 AM   #3
Slap_You7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Why not just change the battery.
Seems a bit expensive for a feature that I have no idea what it even does.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:30 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Check the usual auction site first. I've found a seller selling batteries for my TCB's SOS call system for about £20. They're used batteries, but when mine starts giving me problems I'll be picking one of those up. I even found a site selling a non-genuine but compatible battery that's brand new for £32.

That said, I'm sure a brand new battery from BMW is nowhere near £500. It's a very easy job to do yourself so might be worth just popping the cover off your ATM unit to get the part number and find out what one would cost. Get a price on a brand new one from BMW and you may be surprised.

It'll likely be cheaper to just buy another battery than to pay someone to do the coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
Slap_You7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Check the usual auction site first. I've found a seller selling batteries for my TCB's SOS call system for about £20. They're used batteries, but when mine starts giving me problems I'll be picking one of those up. I even found a site selling a non-genuine but compatible battery that's brand new for £32.

That said, I'm sure a brand new battery from BMW is nowhere near £500. It's a very easy job to do yourself so might be worth just popping the cover off your ATM unit to get the part number and find out what one would cost. Get a price on a brand new one from BMW and you may be surprised.

It'll likely be cheaper to just buy another battery than to pay someone to do the coding.
Thanks for the info. Where does the battery live on a 2017 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #6
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap_You7 View Post
I assume £500 is a complete TCU (Telematics Control Unit). You can get a new battery from BMW for about £30.

As far as the feature is concerned, it calls the emergency services if you’re unlucky enough to have a big accident. There’s usually a button up near the interior light that allows you to do it manually too.

As for location, it can vary. Sometimes in the left side of the boot behind the side trim. Sometimes under the rear edge of the headliner. On a Touring, it’s usually under the boot floor.

I believe there’s two different types of battery too, so make sure you get the correct one.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
Slap_You7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Quote:
I assume £500 is a complete TCU (Telematics Control Unit). You can get a new battery from BMW for about £30.

As far as the feature is concerned, it calls the emergency services if you’re unlucky enough to have a big accident. There’s usually a button up near the interior light that allows you to do it manually too.

As for location, it can vary. Sometimes in the left side of the boot behind the side trim. Sometimes under the rear edge of the headliner. On a Touring, it’s usually under the boot floor.

I believe there’s two different types of battery too, so make sure you get the correct one.
Thanks. Would the error code show the exact issue wether it's just the battery or the unit issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Quote:
If you have an F30 and I presume F31 too, it's easy - you'll need to take everything out of the boot, lift the floor up and pull it forward and then just by the rear seats you'll see the the black ATM module and fuse box. The ATM will have a flap on it that you can slide down and you'll see the battery there. Note the part number down because as mentioned there is more than one type and get a cost for replacement. Should only take 5 minutes to swap it out when you've got one and no tools are needed.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2022, 05:51 AM   #9
Slap_You7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Quote:
If you have an F30 and I presume F31 too, it's easy - you'll need to take everything out of the boot, lift the floor up and pull it forward and then just by the rear seats you'll see the the black ATM module and fuse box. The ATM will have a flap on it that you can slide down and you'll see the battery there. Note the part number down because as mentioned there is more than one type and get a cost for replacement. Should only take 5 minutes to swap it out when you've got one and no tools are needed.
Is this the place? Can't see anything but the fuse box
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 05:56 AM   #10
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I had this error after my car had been sat on a trickle charger for ages. After a few drives it went away though, by that point I'd already bought a replacement battery
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
Bootboot340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i 6mt Stage 1

You can code it out- I did. Search YouTube for coding out emergency call malfunction. It's there and easy to find. Worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #12
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

I had the SOS failure come up on my car last winter. It was still under warranty so I just booked it in at the dealership. It was about a week later that I took it in, but in the meantime the SOS failure warning light went out so I assume it had recharged.

Car went into the dealer and they changed the little battery under the shark fin aerial. Apparently it is accessed by pulling down the roof lining near the rear screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #13
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Battery for the f30 lives in the headliner just below the shark fin. You can just about pull down enough headliner to unclip and replace the battery. I had this issue last year. Battery from BMW cost me £55. Diy job done, no coding required. As soon as car detects enough voltage from the sos battery it’s all happy.

Don’t go messing around coding it out. You may need it some day, just buy a new battery from bmw or eBay.

Edit: just seen post above - sorry for repeating - however easy diy job if you watch a quick YouTube vid
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 04:30 PM   #14
smudgerinc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30paul View Post
Battery for the f30 lives in the headliner just below the shark fin. You can just about pull down enough headliner to unclip and replace the battery. I had this issue last year. Battery from BMW cost me £55. Diy job done, no coding required. As soon as car detects enough voltage from the sos battery it’s all happy.

Don’t go messing around coding it out. You may need it some day, just buy a new battery from bmw or eBay.

Edit: just seen post above - sorry for repeating - however easy diy job if you watch a quick YouTube vid

Hi f30paul thanks for this message. I have the 330e and the SOS message has also just risen its ugly head. I'm in a real dilemma whether to replace the battery or simply code it out. I don't have Bimmercode or similar so both solutions will incur a similar cost. If I replace the battery do I also have to somehow clear the code or does it automatically disappear? Thanks again.
Appreciate 0