F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car surges when first staring out
Extreme Powerhouse

09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC M-Sport

Car surges when first staring out

When I first start the car in the morning and take off the car surges slightly. I've tried warming the motor up longer but I think It may be the trans that is doing this. Anyone else have this issue. Car is a 2015 435i with BM3 stage 1.
      09-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Haywood187
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I just flashed the BM3 Stage 1 as well and it's definitely "touchy" in my opinion. Makes it feel like it's surging, but I can't tell if it's an actual issue or it's just more responsive and torquier so it feels like it's surging. I drove around today for a while and have gotten more used to the pedal travel I need to use to avoid that feeling. Hell, I don't care, my butt dyno is feeling real good about the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Do you mean the initial throttle tip-in is very sensitive? Or that the engine revs higher at the wrong time? Or...?

I have had three 6-cyl F30s and all have had weird throttle tip-in such that nothing happens for a second, then the car takes off. Resetting throttle adaptation usually helps and I do it every couple of months.

1) Push Engine button ON (once; do not start engine)
2) Step on the throttle pedal down (all the way down)
3) Hold it there for 30-40 seconds.
4) With throttle still down, push Engine button OFF.
5) Release throttle.
6) Wait 2 minutes.
7) Start car normally. Done.

It's kinda annoying, but I've learned to live with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
When I first start the car in the morning and take off the car surges slightly. I've tried warming the motor up longer but I think It may be the trans that is doing this. Anyone else have this issue. Car is a 2015 435i with BM3 stage 1.
Do you mean on the 1-2 shift or just when first taking off?

I have noticed that when the car is cold and i am first taking off, my 1-2 shift makes the car push/lurch forward when shifting at very light throttle. Seems to only do this on the first few shifts and goes away with the car is warmed up. Mostly only noticeable on the 1-2, and there seems to be a delay/hang for the second on that shift.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

How long is the warm-up?

If the surge is still on a cold car it's probably normal. If it smoothes out when it warms up then probably normal.

|2020 New Year Deals! | |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Discounts VRSF ER BM3 CSF Pure & More!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep

This is happening in the morning after the car sits all night. I live in florida so it's not too cold here. I warm it up for maybe 1-2 minutes and drive easy for a few miles. The stutter occurs when I first put the car into drive and the first 10 feet the car moves. There is no shifting I am doing and doubt the auto trans is doing it either. I am going like 2 mph. It's a surge that you can feel like the the car got more gas. I've noticed this also happens if the car sits for say 4 or more hours. It only happens once and goes away. Wonder if it is related to the bm3. I am still trying to figure out how to datalog.
      10-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Do you mean the initial throttle tip-in is very sensitive? Or that the engine revs higher at the wrong time? Or...?

I have had three 6-cyl F30s and all have had weird throttle tip-in such that nothing happens for a second, then the car takes off. Resetting throttle adaptation usually helps and I do it every couple of months.

5) Release throttle.
6) Wait 2 minutes.

Thanks otay. I will give this a try.
      10-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

I just found this and have what I think is the same issue. I do not have the BM3, but a stock ZHP that includes the MPPK, exhaust, etc. I've noticed that after the car sits a few hours or more, that it kinda stutters for a couple hundred feet. I notice it when I pull out of my parking spot at work and drive a constant throttle speed through the parking lot. The shutter/stutter is gone by the time I leave the parking lot. It's a very mild shutter, but it's there.

My car is a 2016 435i.
      10-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #9
Derekrpd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Funny, my 335 has just in the last few days had a similar idle issue upon overnight start up. Upon starting up, the car stumbles hard and almost dies but then comes up to normal idle and plateaus. Also have stage 1 BM3 93 tune.
      10-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
Funny, my 335 has just in the last few days had a similar idle issue upon overnight start up. Upon starting up, the car stumbles hard and almost dies but then comes up to normal idle and plateaus. Also have stage 1 BM3 93 tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I just found this and have what I think is the same issue. I do not have the BM3, but a stock ZHP that includes the MPPK, exhaust, etc. I've noticed that after the car sits a few hours or more, that it kinda stutters for a couple hundred feet. I notice it when I pull out of my parking spot at work and drive a constant throttle speed through the parking lot. The shutter/stutter is gone by the time I leave the parking lot. It's a very mild shutter, but it's there.

My car is a 2016 435i.

I think these are both different issues than OP was describing, especially since he thought it was trans and mentioned trying to warm up the car longer. I dont think his issue was on initial startup, at least if i interpreted correctly.

The issues you two mentioned sounds like what people get with aftermarket intakes, and/or when you disable cold start. Do you have either of those?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
JaredG_F30
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Hey thanks for the knowledge share here. I also notice touchy throttle tip-in. I'll give this a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post

5) Release throttle.
6) Wait 2 minutes.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Hey thanks for the knowledge share here. I also notice touchy throttle tip-in. I'll give this a shot.
Do you know if this is equivalent to resetting throttle adaptations, e.g., through MHD (or BM3 equivalent)?
Appreciate 0