F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech: CarPlay MMI Demo
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #45
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Patrys@BimmerTech - I ordered last week on Friday and haven't heard anything beyond the order confirmation email - what's the shipping time on these?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #46
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Patrys@BimmerTech - I ordered last week on Friday and haven't heard anything beyond the order confirmation email - what's the shipping time on these?
It will be shipped in the next few days.
I’m sorry for the delay but we have been updating the software to make USB video playback fully functional.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #47
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Just an update... mine has shipped, arriving Monday!
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #48
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

How is the interaction of CarPlay with HUD? Music, calls, navigation, etc
X3power10.00
      08-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #49
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Once you connect the phone, most interaction is via the iDrive wheel. Steering controls work for volume, siri and answer calls.

There is a video in the first page of this thread and also a different vendor (the one I got my box from) has a video here: here https://unique-ad.co.uk/
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #50
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Hey all, catching up on this thread, and have a few comments/questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
It works fine with non-touch 8,8” screens. The right side of the screen (around 1/3) isn’t used just like in the factory BMW CarPlay.
What IS done with the right side of the screen? Anything? With the native BMW Carplay interface, this is used for additional content displayed in split-screen mode. Is a split-screen mode with iDrive supported, or is that side of the screen just blank? Seems that it would be a waste of precious screen real estate if it's just blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
It will be shipped in the next few days.
I’m sorry for the delay but we have been updating the software to make USB video playback fully functional.
Will this work via the standard USB port in the center console compartment, or does a new connector need to be installed somewhere in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Once you connect the phone, most interaction is via the iDrive wheel. Steering controls work for volume, siri and answer calls.
This didn't really answer the question as I understand it. I too would like to know if the windshield-based Heads-Up Display (HUD) optional in some cars interacts with the Carplay MMI unit in any way. For those that have a HUD, losing notification of new calls, use of media control, and upcoming turn-by-turn announcements in the HUD is a big deal, and one of the main reasons why I haven't considered buying one yet. I'm no fan of iDrive, especially the older revisions this unit is trying to replace, but HUD integration is a big iDrive plus that I'm hesitant to abandon.

A few other questions to anyone who might be able to answer:

- Is album art displayed anywhere in the Carplay MMI interface when using the Music app?

- For cars that have backup cameras which automatically display on the iDrive screen and return to whatever was displayed once moving forward, will this functionality be retained? Or will a replacement backup camera system which integrates with the CarPlay MMI need to be installed? Seems silly that I may have to replace hardware which already exists in the car.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #51
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

OK, the MMI box thing as I see it is a mod/hack to connect the iPhone to the car's screen using the iDrive controls without any coding - the alternative for my car (2013 F34 with NBT) would have been retrofit the ID6 unit + new screen + coding for 4x the price - might be the way forward if you want the best integration but still not perfect as I was told the car would loose ConnectedDrive services...

Now, back to the MMI box thing, let me try to answer some of your questions, based on what I can see so far with my car :

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
What IS done with the right side of the screen?
Carplay is not widescreen - the MMI box thing projects Carplay at what seems to be the correct resolution and fills the remaining space with just a picture/text - I have a carplay icon picture there and "carplay" text and other vendors may show a different image there but in the end split screen capability is lost, unfortunately. Carplay would show full screen without the side bat in those cars that have the smaller screen.

Quote:
Will this work via the standard USB port in the center console compartment, or does a new connector need to be installed somewhere in the car?
The MMI box thing came with all wires needed, the iPhone is connected to a new USB port directly to the MMI box thing.

Quote:
I too would like to know if the windshield-based Heads-Up Display (HUD) optional in some cars interacts with the Carplay MMI unit in any way.
Haven't got HUD - My NBT normally shows the turn arrows in the instruments cluster, the MMI box thing is not able to show any arrows there , would be interesting to know if the stock carplay can show something to the cluster/HUD.

Quote:
- Is album art displayed anywhere in the Carplay MMI interface when using the Music app?
This one is apple driven - the Music, spotify or amazon music apps have the same Carplay "skin" interface - just a big play button and back/next arrows. The pocket casts app has 15 secs skip buttons instead of next/back arrows. haven't seen any current song artwork...

Quote:
- For cars that have backup cameras which automatically display on the iDrive screen and return to whatever was displayed once moving forward, will this functionality be retained?
I only have front/back sensors - in my case, the car automatically changes to the stock green/red proximity screen only when I go into reverse gear. The screen immediately reverts to carplay when I change to Drive gear - I can still hear the sensors while driving away. When parallel parking I just quit carplay (hold press the Menu button) to make sure I see the green/red proximity screen while going back/forth. I understand that the MMI box thing works fine if you have cameras but I can also install a 3rd party camera to the MMI box thing without any coding - these details best to discuss with your supplier.

The MMI box thing is only a "projector" really - only Apple would be able to develop the Carplay platform as we go - I cant wait to drive with Google maps/waze

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-21-2018 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      08-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #52
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What IS done with the right side of the screen? Anything? With the native BMW Carplay interface, this is used for additional content displayed in split-screen mode. Is a split-screen mode with iDrive supported, or is that side of the screen just blank? Seems that it would be a waste of precious screen real estate if it's just blank.
Carplay is not widescreen - the MMI box thing projects Carplay at what seems to be the correct resolution and fills the remaining space with just a picture/text - I have a carplay icon picture there and "carplay" text and other vendors may show a different image there but in the end split screen capability is lost, unfortunately. Carplay would show full screen without the side bat in those cars that have the smaller screen.
As I understand it, CarPlay is designed to be displayed at multiple resolutions, as not all car infotainment systems have the same resolution. As I understand it this could be configured by this MMI box manufacturer, and in fact other vendors offer BMW retrofits do make this a full-screen interface. If the manufacturer of the box described in this thread decided not make it full screen, I'd be curious as to why. Is just because they didn't want to support multiple screen resolutions depending on BMW's display options? That seems like a waste for those that have larger displays, unless they found a way to support a split-screen mode.

Quote:
Quote:
The MMI box thing came with all wires needed, the iPhone is connected to a new USB port directly to the MMI box thing.
Understood.

Quote:
Haven't got HUD - My NBT normally shows the turn arrows in the instruments cluster, the MMI box thing is not able to show any arrows there , would be interesting to know if the stock carplay can show something to the cluster/HUD.
Agreed. I don't think it's possible, but I hold out hope

Quote:
Quote:
This one is apple driven - the Music, spotify or amazon music apps have the same Carplay "skin" interface - just a big play button and back/next arrows. The pocket casts app has 15 secs skip buttons instead of next/back arrows. haven't seen any current song artwork...
Again, it's my understanding that Apple makes this configurable for the device manufacturer. I've never seen it so admittedly I can't say for sure, but I've heard reports that some manufacturers have configured their native CarPlay interfaces to display album art in some way.

Quote:
I only have front/back sensors - in my case, the car automatically changes to the stock green/red proximity screen only when I go into reverse gear. The screen immediately reverts to carplay when I change to Drive gear - I can still hear the sensors while driving away. When parallel parking I just quit carplay (hold press the Menu button) to make sure I see the green/red proximity screen while going back/forth. I understand that the MMI box thing works fine if you have cameras but I can also install a 3rd party camera to the MMI box thing without any coding - these details best to discuss with your supplier.
Understood. If the backup cameras turn on/off automatically, then I'm good.

Appreciate the responses!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:52 AM   #53
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As I understand it, CarPlay is designed to be displayed at multiple resolutions, as not all car infotainment systems have the same resolution. As I understand it this could be configured by this MMI box manufacturer, and in fact other vendors offer BMW retrofits do make this a full-screen interface. If the manufacturer of the box described in this thread decided not make it full screen, I'd be curious as to why. Is just because they didn't want to support multiple screen resolutions depending on BMW's display options? That seems like a waste for those that have larger displays, unless they found a way to support a split-screen mode.
That one I think is also Apple driven too - Carplay home screen seems to always show 4x2 apps/icons - going widescreen would allow for more apps to show on the home screen, have you seen that somewhere?

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-22-2018 at 04:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #54
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Does the unit have a yellow RCA video input so that you can hook up a reverse camera?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #55
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That one I think is also Apple driven too - Carplay home screen seems to always show 4x2 apps/icons - going widescreen would allow for more apps to show on the home screen, have you seen that somewhere?
Unichip. It seems some users are having issues with that unit from the discussion thread, so I'm not suggesting or recommending it. But it does show full-screen with app icons laid out 5x2, and also has all apps full screen on NBT:

http://www.unichip-tec.com/h-pd-62.html#_pp=0_848_35_-1

Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      08-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #56
grahamrb
Private
Rep

My bimmertech one arrived on Monday evening. I’m just waiting on instructions from bimmertech (meant to arrive today) and am planning on installing it tomorrow so will let you know how it works then.
Appreciate 2
Bestia64.50
X3power10.00
      08-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #57
grahamrb
Private
Rep

I've posted a review, unboxing, installation etc in a separate thread if anyone is interested or has any questions: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1528963
Appreciate 3
x-m4n148.00
X3power10.00
      08-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #58
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

How does the iDrive controller work? I have the basic iDrive knob (the one that can only click left and right). Is there a way to press the "home" button on CarPlay? How does selecting apps work?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #59
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Have you guys gotten the units in the Orlando warehouse yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #60
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Any chance of an existing review of Unichip available here in the forums?

Quote:
Unichip. It seems some users are having issues with that unit from the discussion thread, so I'm not suggesting or recommending it. But it does show full-screen with app icons laid out 5x2, and also has all apps full screen on NBT:

http://www.unichip-tec.com/h-pd-62.html#_pp=0_848_35_-1

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #61
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Any chance of an existing review of Unichip available here in the forums?
Maybe you can ask over in the other thread here - some users did publish some feedback but has been quiet for a while.

From what I remember, their solution needed us to install a separate mic - you really better off considering these other boxes that can use the car's stock microphone...
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #62
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Full screen would be awesome but do you see on their top right screenshot that "Siri" icon? I don't think is a real "app" on iphone or carplay...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #63
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What's the name of the vendor Bimmertech provide?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #64
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you can ask over in the other thread here - some users did publish some feedback but has been quiet for a while.

From what I remember, their solution needed us to install a separate mic - you really better off considering these other boxes that can use the car's stock microphone...

Are you using the same unit as in this video? Is it the same solution provided by Bimmertech?

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #65
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
What's the name of the vendor Bimmertech provide?
They generally provide their own hardware / product.

09-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #66
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the same unit as in this video? Is it the same solution provided by Bimmertech?
Yes, I have the Unique AD solution which the guys installed it for me (is actually my car you see in that video ).

From what I have seen the Unique AD / Bimmertech boxes are physically different but both use the car's mic.
Appreciate 0