F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech: CarPlay MMI Demo
GetBMWParts

09-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #67
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Yes, I have the Unique AD solution which the guys installed it for me (is actually my car you see in that video ).

From what I have seen the Unique AD / Bimmertech boxes are physically different but both use the car's mic.

In addition, it looks like Unique AD has a mirroring option.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #68
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
In addition, it looks like Unique AD has a mirroring option.
Yeah, used it the other day to mirror Waze navigation. Worked well but I suppose a nice to have feature only until Waze works with carplay directly.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #69
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Quote:
Full screen would be awesome but do you see on their top right screenshot that "Siri" icon? I don't think is a real "app" on iphone or carplay...
FWIW, here's a video of the Unichip, showing the use of the fullscreen CarPlay interface at approx 2:25.

As I said in my previous post, there appear to be other issues with Unichip, so I'm not repping or recommending it in any way. Just stating that I do think their support for fullscreen is legit. No idea about the Siri app, or its icon.

Personally, I wish one of these solutions (Bimmertech, Unichip, Ugode, Avin, etc.) supported a split screen interface of some kind like iDrive, so that I don't constantly have to switch between commonly used apps that are used at the same time (like maps and music). That's one of the few things I do like about iDrive. However, if no split screen is possible, it kinda stinks to not use the entire screen.

Advantages/disadvantages to all, and none seem to address all the issues. Which I guess is why I still don't have CarPlay :|

Last edited by torqueflite; 09-06-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #70
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
Just stating that I do think their support for fullscreen is legit.

Personally, I wish one of these solutions (Bimmertech, Unichip, Ugode, Avin, etc.) supported a split screen interface of some kind like iDrive, so that I don't constantly have to switch between commonly used apps that are used at the same time (like maps and music). That's one of the few things I do like about iDrive.
Looks legit yes - just I don't have that Siri app on my CarPlay ...

Look what I also found:

https://developer.apple.com/design/h...design/layout/

I suppose our wide screen resolution is 1920px × 720px ?

I don't think split screen would be possible as we are "hijacking" the screen but my wish would be to just have full screen CarPlay mode.

Last edited by x-m4n; 09-06-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #71
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
showing the use of the fullscreen CarPlay interface
I do wish the BimmerTech one offered this. I included it on my wish list in my review and BimmerTech contacted me about the reversing sensor issue I had but didn't mention anything about widescreen support so I assume it isn't on their roadmap.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #72
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
@Patrys@BimmerTech can you please advise on the lack of widescreen support with your CarPlay MMI?

If Unichip can do it, it shouldn't be to hard for Bimmertech to implement it.

x-m4n148.00
      09-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #73
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Those who received firmware updates whether by Bimmertech or Unichip, were you able to dig in the content of the firmware files whether they are the same software or the configuration file to modify?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #74
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Those who received firmware updates whether by Bimmertech or Unichip, were you able to dig in the content of the firmware files whether they are the same software or the configuration file to modify?
The BimmerTech updates are split it in MTU(?) updates and CarPlay updates, I've only had updates to the former, I assume the configuration you're talking about would be in the CarPlay update.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #75
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
@Patrys@BimmerTech can you please advise on the lack of widescreen support with your CarPlay MMI?

If Unichip can do it, it shouldn't be to hard for Bimmertech to implement it.
We are looking into making software changes to CarPlay MMI to make it even better.
Full screen and split screen modes are among the features we are evaluating.
The truth is that it’s difficult to satisfy each and every user, but we’re not giving up
Appreciate 3
x-m4n148.00
      09-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #76
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
We are looking into making software changes to CarPlay MMI to make it even better.
The truth is that it’s difficult to satisfy each and every user, but we’re not giving up
Do you think this might be possible with the current hardware?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #77
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Quote:
If you can do split screen, you'd definitely have a customer here. Appreciate that you value feedback from the user base and investigate options that are suggested/requested!

Quote:
Understand, and again, appreciate your willingness to improve on your product.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #78
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Additionally, do you get to keep screen mirroring as a separate solution or can it be included in the CarPlay software like Unichip and Unique Auto?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #79
X3power
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
Just spoke with Nelson and he said he would test some functionality for me... but was wondering if anyone knows the answer already?

I had purchased a similar solution from another place and it had nothing but issues. So before I spend another $525 on a solution from BimmerTech, I'd like to know the following:

1. Have Bluetooth enabled in your BMW for phone calls (you can disable Bluetooth music audio), and then try to use CarPlay after making a phone call through Bluetooth. Does Car Play audio still work through the aux as expected? Or does audio try to route through Bluetooth and not work at all?

2. If you have to disable Bluetooth for Car Play audio to work properly, how can you make AND receive phone calls seamlessly when NOT in CarPlay mode (IE -- you might be listening to FM radio or a music CD and a phone call comes in to your iPhone -- how does that audio for that phone call route to the BMW speakers?)

3. If you have Bluetooth enabled and are in CarPlay mode, how does phone audio get to car speakers if a phone call comes in? And does Car Play audio still work for music after the phone call ends?

4. When listening to music through CarPlay for longer than about five minutes, do you hear any audio drop-outs through the AUX interface?

5. I assume there is no "native integration"? IE -- if I am listening to FM radio, and my phone gets a text message, no notification will display on my BMW iDrive display saying I have a text message with an offer to read the message? Correct?

6. How hot does the box run? The last box I had ran extremely hot and eventually stopped working completely.

I lost several dollars in shipping and install fees with the Car Play box I bought from this other vendor, and I don't want a repeat of that experience.

Thanks,
Robert
First of all, you must disable Bluetooth on your iPhone or at least disconnect from your car's Bluetooth system to use all CarPlay MMI's features.

If you do not do it, you will not be able to make/receive calls or talk to Siri.
It's kind of similar with the factory CarPlay integration when the car takes you to CarPlay to answer a call even if you are not in the CarPlay mode. Of course it's a different level of integration, so it's done seamlessly.

When you are not in the CarPlay mode you have to have AUX activated to receive calls. When you hear the phone ringing through your car speakers while not in the CarPlay mode you can answer either by pressing 8 on the radio panel to get quickly to CarPlay and then just use the telephone steering wheel button or you can stay in the iDrive mode but you will have to answer the call on your phone (you will still be using your car speakers and mic to talk).

If you want to use iDrive features like radio or CD and still be able to take advantage of hands-free calling, you should disconnect from CarPlay and connect your iPhone with the car over Bluetooth.
You will get CarPlay notifications only if you are in the CarPlay mode.

There are no audio drop-outs when using CarPlay.

All our MMIs get hot. Your radio head unit gets hot too. It does not mean they will fail. We have been testing our MMIs in very hot places like Dubai with no issues.
I want to get it but still unclear:

1. Just to be sure that this works with iPhone 10, which doesn't have an actual AUX cable. Has it been tested with iPhone 10?

2. I have the 2015X3 with nav pro and HUD. I suppose it doesn't integrate with the heads up display.

3. Can you control the Apple car play from the navigation circle button console?
      09-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #80
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3power View Post
I want to get it but still unclear:

1. Just to be sure that this works with iPhone 10, which doesn't have an actual AUX cable. Has it been tested with iPhone 10?
You don't connect it with an aux cable... you connect it via Lightning cable.

X3power10.00
      09-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #81
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Yes, works with an iPhone X without any issues (that’s what I’m using).

Works with the main i-drive controller in the centre by the gearstick, doesn’t work with steering controls for navigation (volume and Siri works from steering controls).
Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      09-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #82
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

x-m4n Just found this video on Youtube and it looks like it the steering wheel scroller can be used while in CarPlay. Can you confirm?

At 2:01

Appreciate 1
X3power10.00
      09-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #83
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
x-m4n Just found this video on Youtube and it looks like it the steering wheel scroller can be used while in CarPlay. Can you confirm?
Yes, that button works as per the video to go up/down available options in the screen.

I personally find myself mostly using the idrive controller though.
Appreciate 2
X3power10.00
      09-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #84
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well it looks like if Unique AD solution allows full-screen display then it is the best in the market so far.

Bimmertech seems to be separating solutions (Mirror, CarPlay, Android etc.) and control what comes in each solution via software closed source.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #85
Cam428
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Well it looks like if Unique AD solution allows full-screen display then it is the best in the market so far.

Bimmertech seems to be separating solutions (Mirror, CarPlay, Android etc.) and control what comes in each solution via software closed source.
I think you meant to say Unichip rather than Unique AD when it comes to full-screen display capability. I found several NBT to Carplay units available at the AliExpress store (including the JoyeAuto one from the video above) that appear to be the same or very similar to those sold by Unique AD. None of them appear to offer full-screen mode on the ProNav screens, unfortunately. All of them ship directly from China and are much cheaper than those I've seen offered through BimmerTech, Unique AD, etc. Order at your own risk though. I've messaged with the sales reps and get the impression that if you run into a technical issue during installation of the box, the seller wouldn't be much help.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #86
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam428 View Post
I think you meant to say Unichip rather than Unique AD when it comes to full-screen display capability. I found several NBT to Carplay units available at the AliExpress store (including the JoyeAuto one from the video above) that appear to be the same or very similar to those sold by Unique AD. None of them appear to offer full-screen mode on the ProNav screens, unfortunately. All of them ship directly from China and are much cheaper than those I've seen offered through BimmerTech, Unique AD, etc. Order at your own risk though. I've messaged with the sales reps and get the impression that if you run into a technical issue during installation of the box, the seller wouldn't be much help.

I was referring to x-m4n update on Unichip thread

You might save when buying from these guys, but it could be tough to get software support.

Quote:
Full screen would be ideal sure... I have the Unique AD box and they told me today that they are looking to implement full screen... Early days for these solutions but Unique AD seem to be listening and keen to improve the product. I will share updates
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 01:17 AM   #87
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

Is this difficult to install?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #88
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

So I called bimmer-tech for support regarding poor audio quality during business hours hoping to get support with my car interior opened up installing this unit. No return call. Also they did not include instructions regarding the aux wiring for my year/configuration. I’m considering returning this and getting unichip because at least with unichip I knew the service would not be great. I’ve paid extra for bimmer tech and am now forced to drive the weekend with putting my dash back together with a poor sounding system and driving around with wire hanging out. Ugh.

Last edited by lemonchicken; 10-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0