F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Troubleshooting battery drainage / possible water pump issue
Extreme Powerhouse

01-28-2023, 10:27 PM   #1
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Troubleshooting battery drainage / possible water pump issue

Small backstory. Woke up yesterday with a dead battery. The battery is nearly 6 years old so I just figured it finally died (but thought it was strange the car never alerted me of low voltage or anything). Whatever, wanted to be done with it so went out, bought & installed a new battery. Car started just fine and figured that would be it.

Woke up today with a dead battery. Well shit. Got the car jumped and drove it all the way in limp mode to my garage. There was a high pitched squealing sound, but didn’t notice anything weird with the accessory tensioner.

Read the codes on ISTA+ and there were seemingly none (a bunch of codes got generated on the drive home all relating to limp mode and low voltage).

The car has 107k miles now and is still on the original water pump. It seems like it’s one of the most common battery drains.

The question is, how to isolate the water pump to prove whether it’s the problem or not? I wanted to unplug the fuse for the pump and recharge the battery, knowing that if I wake up tomorrow to a live battery it was likely the problem. But I couldn’t find it on the fuse table, as there are just pictures and fuse numbers. I saw a YouTube video that said 33, but I pulled 33 and the pump stayed on.
Appreciate 0