F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding related question
ARMA SPEED

06-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Coding related question

Hey all. I have 2013 f30 335i (April build) and I had the M Performance Package installed by the dealer upon delivery. While I can physically see that they installed the new airbox correctly, I can not tell if the MPPK software is actually coded in correctly (or at all). Since I had no before and after drive, I really have nothing to compare to it know if its truly on there.

So....my question is.....how difficult would it be for a BMW dealership to "plug" my car in and look to see if the specific MPPK coding is really in there? Would it take long to plug in? Would it take long to identify the new software once plugged in? Is the MPPK software easily "erasable" for such service calls as oil changes or even flash updates.

I have zero technical abilities myself and do not own any of the equipment to venture into coding myself....

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
The Nerd
Major
Rep

I hate to respond to my own thread....but, I assume no one has the knowledge of coding to answer my above question regarding the MPPK install. So....could someone point me to a sight that has more knowledge of coding that could help me out a bit?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Post in this thread and someone might be able to help you out. This is a different kind of coding

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821701
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Post in this thread and someone might be able to help you out. This is a different kind of coding

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821701
Kind of already tried that. Thanks anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Have you got it into your head that something is wrong? Genuine question.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Have you got it into your head that something is wrong? Genuine question.
Yeah....because, it "feels" the same as the stock 335i I test drove before I ordered my car (and almost everyone who had the MPPK installed is reporting fairly drastic differences in the butt dyno). Speaking of dynos, I also had my car dynoed and the torque at the wheels was 294 lb-ft (around 345 lb-ft at the crank). Now....I know I'm over the factory rated torque, but again, I read reports of at least three different MPPK equipped 335s that dynoed at over 370 lb-ft (crank corrected) including Steve Dinan himself! Since the MPPK is advertised by BMW to add 32 lb-ft at the crank, that would put me right where all of those others are. I understand variances from engine to engine of 5, 10, or even 15.....but for my engine to be putting out over 30 lb-ft of torque less than all of those others?? Something feels fishy....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

So you test drove a stock 335i and ordered one, waited however long for delivery and got the car from new with the kit on? Honestly, I think I'd struggle to compare the two driving experiences if that's the case. Something else to consider is that plenty of people like to bang on about the increase in performance that whichever mod has given them. I find quite often it's to justify the ££££ or $$$$.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust rolling roads. Or rather I wouldn't compare results of different cars on different dynos on different days. Fair enough you and a 335i owning mate turning up at a rolling road and doing some runs together but anything more than that and it's apples and oranges. And don't get hung up on numbers either. I've known plenty of dynos that read high and plenty that read low. I gave up that malarky years ago. Other than it being a good day out with like minded friends it's a complete waste of time.

Best bet I think would be for you to drive a stock 335i. Either someone on here might help you out or drop in to a dealer and pretend you're thinking of buying.

Personally I think it's all in your head but I'm willing to be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
So you test drove a stock 335i and ordered one, waited however long for delivery and got the car from new with the kit on? Honestly, I think I'd struggle to compare the two driving experiences if that's the case. Something else to consider is that plenty of people like to bang on about the increase in performance that whichever mod has given them. I find quite often it's to justify the ££££ or $$$$.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust rolling roads. Or rather I wouldn't compare results of different cars on different dynos on different days. Fair enough you and a 335i owning mate turning up at a rolling road and doing some runs together but anything more than that and it's apples and oranges. And don't get hung up on numbers either. I've known plenty of dynos that read high and plenty that read low. I gave up that malarky years ago. Other than it being a good day out with like minded friends it's a complete waste of time.

Best bet I think would be for you to drive a stock 335i. Either someone on here might help you out or drop in to a dealer and pretend you're thinking of buying.

Personally I think it's all in your head but I'm willing to be corrected.
Yes, I had the kit installed upon delivery after ordering the car and waiting 6 weeks. And yes, it felt different from the stock 335i. So, what you're saying is.....there's no way the dealership (or a different dealership since I don't want to anger my normal dealer) can simply plug my car in and give me a yes or a no whether the MPPK software is on there?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Yes, I had the kit installed upon delivery after ordering the car and waiting 6 weeks. And yes, it felt different from the stock 335i. So, what you're saying is.....there's no way the dealership (or a different dealership since I don't want to anger my normal dealer) can simply plug my car in and give me a yes or a no whether the MPPK software is on there?
To verify you had the PPK installed, you just need to read the VO with E-Sys, or have the dealer read and print your VO from ISTA/P, and look for HO-Wort (aka K-Wort) NPOW added.

Name:  PPK - HO-Wort = NPOW.png
Views: 2888
Size:  71.9 KB

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
To verify you had the PPK installed, you just need to read the VO with E-Sys, or have the dealer read and print your VO from ISTA/P, and look for HO-Wort (aka K-Wort) NPOW added.

Attachment 880498
Awesome! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I hope that gives you some peace!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
The Nerd
Major
Rep

One more question for shawnsheridan....is the Esys something that I can easily obtain....it is that a program that the dealers handle only? Also, where does it hook up at (under the hood)? Obviously I know nothing about this stuff...haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I can answer that one. Shawn can PM you links to the software which you then install on your laptop. Connect your laptop to the OBD port which on my RHD car is just by my right leg under a little plastic cover. You'll need one of these.

If you want to have a go at coding there will also be a link in Shawn's message for purchasing a token.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
One more question for shawnsheridan....is the Esys something that I can easily obtain....it is that a program that the dealers handle only? Also, where does it hook up at (under the hood)? Obviously I know nothing about this stuff...haha.
E-Sys is BMW Factory Floor software. Dealers do not have it. Dealers are limited to ISTA/P, which is far more restrictive in what it can do.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Thanks again for all of the help!
Appreciate 0