F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "Replace battery in remote" error won't go away
ARMA SPEED

01-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #23
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Damaged keyfob could be drawing incorrect current under load which will cause incorrect voltage values under load. But 2 of us already put in new batteries and it didn't solve the issue. More like a damaged board on the remote. Strangely it has only fell 1-2 times where as my old Dodge Dart fell every other day and had no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppe777 View Post
My main key started doing this. Bought brand new battery same issue.
However if I use the exact same battery in my spare - no error
I am leaning to believe the keyfob is damaged. While it's just a minor annoyance, suggesting a battery swap is not the correct answer. I'll do some more investigation, but so far this mostly happens with comfort access and rarely when unlocking from the button.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:02 PM   #24
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalakazam View Post
Damaged keyfob could be drawing incorrect current under load which will cause incorrect voltage values under load. But 2 of us already put in new batteries and it didn't solve the issue. More like a damaged board on the remote. Strangely it has only fell 1-2 times where as my old Dodge Dart fell every other day and had no issues.

Consider brand/source. A poster above mentioned that a "new" battery might be questionable regarding specs and "freshness".

I am leaning to believe the keyfob is damaged. While it's just a minor annoyance, suggesting a battery swap is not the correct answer. I'll do some more investigation, but so far this mostly happens with comfort access and rarely when unlocking from the button.
It seems that comfort access is way more complicated and depends on many variables where the lock/unlock with the buttons works alot less "selectively". After all, for the comfort access you need proximity where the lock/unlock can be done from a far greater distance.
All of that does not mean that your keyfob is not at fault. Just it seems unlikely to me that it would fail so easily. I accidently washed one of mine, kicked it down the steps, my little son got a hold of it....and its still working. Just saying , before you go the expensive route, you might want to try exact replacement battery - in my case it was Sony.

On a different note, BG as in the country alakazam or am I misreading it?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #25
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Bulgaria, yes. I'll get an exact Sony battery at some point. But the second keyfob doesn't display the issue. Either way, working on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #26
Palantir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalakazam View Post
Bulgaria, yes. I'll get an exact Sony battery at some point. But the second keyfob doesn't display the issue. Either way, working on it.
BG here too Zemi si bateria, ne se prai
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #27
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I had the same issue. Got the warning, changed battery (took from spare fob).
Still got warning. Found other thread that stated that fob sends voltage info to car and needs 5 consecutive "ok voltage interactions" before the message disappears.

So, I realized that I had probably only interacted 2-3 times when googling the problem. Went down to car, clicked lock/unlock a couple of times and then no more error message.
Appreciate 1
desmat35.00
      10-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #28
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I had the same issue. Got the warning, changed battery (took from spare fob).
Still got warning. Found other thread that stated that fob sends voltage info to car and needs 5 consecutive "ok voltage interactions" before the message disappears.

So, I realized that I had probably only interacted 2-3 times when googling the problem. Went down to the car, clicked lock/unlock a couple of times and then no more error message.
It worked. I had the same issue after my F25 X3 started complaining about the battery inside my keyfob. Replaced the battery inside the FOB bu the message would not go away. Ran diagnostics with ISTA and i really couldn't see anything in regards to the keyfob which I found strange giving the level of granularity of ISTA. So I tried the remote sequence method.

Went to do some shopping and waited for the car to go to sleep. You only need around 15mins after locking. I came back and before doing anything else, I used the remote to unlock and relock the car, not with the comfort access but rather using the Keyfobs buttons. I did this 3 or 4 times. After that the problems went away. Never came back.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

This reminds me that I should see if I can get them to replace my 12v battery while I'm still under warranty and pre paid maintenance coverage for free rather then buying and registering a new battery myself. I have been using a maintainer though not consistently. Those things do work as I use one to maintain the battery on my other car and it has lasted twice as long as any battery in that car before I used a maintainer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If it ain't broken they're not going to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If it ain't broken they're not going to fix it.
My fob battery was replaced by the technician at the 2nd service, I was not having any issues with it nor did I request a replacement. Kinda was a nice surprise when I checked the service invoice and saw that the battery had been replaced. I would have brought in my other key (wife using it) had I known.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #32
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

They'll swap out the fob batteries under the service plan, they only cost a couple of dollars. They're not going to swap out the car battery for no charge unless it's dead within the warranty period for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #33
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They'll swap out the fob batteries under the service plan, they only cost a couple of dollars. They're not going to swap out the car battery for no charge unless it's dead within the warranty period for it.
Those fob batteries are pretty expensive at my dealership - they wanted $35 to swap it out. I bought a new battery for a few dollars and it didn't fix the problem despite being the exact same battery.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0