F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Locating an adaptive cruise control 4 series?
ARMA SPEED

11-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #23
skyjumper
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Why bother driving at all if the thing "practically drives itself"? Sounds like you want the ultimate sofa on wheels.
No, I enjoy driving when the road is open and the car is a good one. When I'm driving to Boston on I-93 in morning traffic, I would be happy to let the car do most of the driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:02 AM   #24
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
F30 retrofit is going to be a bit different if the e92 is not hard and all factory parts.
I just completed the retrofit in my F32 a couple weeks ago and it came on my X5, it was hard to find certain parts but not that difficult to install if you're comfortable with moderate DIY jobs.

Personally I think the system works very well, I use it almost every day as I sit in stop and go traffic in my daily commute. As long as you're fully aware of its behavior and limitations it is incredibly effective and convenient.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #25
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

For some reason BMW dealers never spec a car with this option. Even the new 3 series is still hard to find with it. When I bought my 335 a few years ago I decided I had to give it up if I wanted that silky smooth turbo 6. Next time, I will not compromise (which means I will likely not be buying a BMW).

Edit: I do still look on occasion to see if a 440 GC in Estoril Blue with ACC and all the other options I'd want (HUD, heated wheel and seats, surround view cameras) miraculously exists somewhere. So far it does not.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #26
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Why bother driving at all if the thing "practically drives itself"? Sounds like you want the ultimate sofa on wheels.
That makes no sense. The better and more fun a car is to drive, the harder it is to sit in heavy traffic or behind someone on a 2 lane road with no passing. I imagine that's why the Genesis and Alfa are much more likely to be found with adaptive cruise than a BMW. Drivers of those cars would likely go insane without it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:33 PM   #27
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouengineer View Post
For some reason BMW dealers never spec a car with this option. Even the new 3 series is still hard to find with it. When I bought my 335 a few years ago I decided I had to give it up if I wanted that silky smooth turbo 6. Next time, I will not compromise (which means I will likely not be buying a BMW).

Edit: I do still look on occasion to see if a 440 GC in Estoril Blue with ACC and all the other options I'd want (HUD, heated wheel and seats, surround view cameras) miraculously exists somewhere. So far it does not.
For some reason Dealers never spec this?

It's like a 6MT.

Only for a small subset of buyers. Rather have buyers not complaint about price of this option.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouengineer View Post

Do what I did and order your car exactly as you want it.
Appreciate 1
amancuso725.50
      11-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #29
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
He is looking in the Certified/Pre-owned category. You save a lot of cash by letting the previous owner take the depreciation hit.
      11-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #30
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I hope to talk the dealer into specing a car for me. Put it in service as an executive car. Then sell it to me at a large discount. Maybe I’m dreaming. My current car was an executive car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #31
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moupe View Post
I was going to check the ACC box for my wagon but after testing it I was not a fan. The current systems are still premature and just couldn't accelerate and brake as smooth as I am able to. Not to mention, the way BMW implements the sensor is just ugly and detracts from the front end. Maybe if you're 60+ years of age I would definitely cop ACC.

Current ACC Too “Dangerous” for Road, Say Insurers

"The report by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) tested several premium car manufacturers’ products concluding some were “irksome” while others were downright “dangerous”. Its study examined the 2017 BMW 5-series’ Driving Assistant Plus system, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class’ Drive Pilot, the 2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2016 Model S’ Autopilot versions 8.1 and 7.1 respectively plus the 2018 Volvo S90’s Pilot Assist."

https://www.tu-auto.com/current-acc-...-say-insurers/
I guess you could say it "distracts". You see it on a lot of high end cars, if you look.

Name:  B1HbYA-Bl4S._UY560_ copy.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  41.0 KB

Some do a better job than others in hiding the sensor. I had one that hide the sensor behind a clear version of the logo. You could only see it if you looked directly into the logo up close. Not like mine:

Name:  100_2016.JPG
Views: 5787
Size:  807.2 KB

Works pretty good, though. Except the time I had it set to 50 and was meandering along behind a car at 35. The lead car rounded a sharp right corner, my car lost "sight" of the lead car and began to accelerate hard to 50 right at the beginning of the corner. The worst part. I said "whoa" and it caught me off guard. I guess it could be dangerous in that kind of situation.

Out on the open highway, and in stop and go traffic on the parkway, it's great. Like HUD, it's a must have for me.

One of the nicest ones I had was the Subaru with Eyesight and it's stereophonic cameras. But even that one would accelerate hard in the corner when it lost "sight". I wonder how the Tesla does in the corner situation?

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #32
AggressorBLUE
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Forrester

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
I just completed the retrofit in my F32 a couple weeks ago and it came on my X5, it was hard to find certain parts but not that difficult to install if you're comfortable with moderate DIY jobs.

Personally I think the system works very well, I use it almost every day as I sit in stop and go traffic in my daily commute. As long as you're fully aware of its behavior and limitations it is incredibly effective and convenient.
Any write up you could point to for this? Curious how involved it is, as so far the inability to find this option on a used 435/440 GC is what's giving me a bit of pause before pulling the trigger. My commute is some very nice south NJ back roading that transforms into an annoying slog up and down 476, and having the stop/go ACC for the latter will be as nice as having the performance in the former.

At this point, I'm willing to budget the cost of the ACC retro into the budget for the car, but am hoping to find some more details before diving in.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #33
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressorBLUE View Post
Any write up you could point to for this? Curious how involved it is, as so far the inability to find this option on a used 435/440 GC is what's giving me a bit of pause before pulling the trigger. My commute is some very nice south NJ back roading that transforms into an annoying slog up and down 476, and having the stop/go ACC for the latter will be as nice as having the performance in the former.

At this point, I'm willing to budget the cost of the ACC retro into the budget for the car, but am hoping to find some more details before diving in.
There are no start to finish write-ups for this but if you're handy enough it's doable, I would not recommend it to people who are novices in the garage. I'm not trying to be a dick but if you can't figure out what all needs to be done by looking at the TIS and parts references, you wouldn't be able to perform the steps in a write-up anyway. It's kind of just a matter of acquiring the parts and being able to install them.

That being said, the most difficult aspect is finding compatible parts, specifically the ICM and DSC. You'll need to find them from a car that had ACC and if you have adaptive suspension then the ICM donor car will need to have had that as well.

Go to bmwfans.info and drill into your car, then search for "5DF" to get an idea of all the parts you'll need. http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F3...search?s=S5DFA Hardware wise I leaned heavily on newtis.info for walkthroughs on installing everything.

You'll need to have an ISTA installation you can use to bleed the brakes and calibrate the radar, and also be fairly well versed e-sys for coding the new components.

After buying all the parts and then installing everything I found on bmwfans.info, there was still one thing I had to do that was not mentioned anywhere and that is build a wiring harness that connects the ICM to the front bumper wiring harness. This is not listed in parts breakdowns likely because it is included in the chassis harness when the car is manufactured. I had to buy the connector that plugs into the bumper wiring harness and then remove the center console again in order to 2 add pins to the ICM connector.
Appreciate 0