F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "No Warning Tones" displayed on iDrive screen...
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2019, 09:08 PM   #23
PagedAtol17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 528i xDrive

Any update on this? My car is having the same issue right now and I would love to know what they did to fix the issue if it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quick Update: The audio cutting off issue still persists. Sometimes I can go weeks or even a month without issue then it'll flare up again like in the past few days when the audio has cut out several times a day.

Taking the car back to BMW and refusing to accept the car back without it being resolved.

Super annoying.

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #25
nate158
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, E46 325i, 66 Mustang

I'm following this thread. I'm having issues where no sound comes from my front speakers and the car wont play music through bluetooth. I've searched around and found it might be the amp as well.

Interested to see the outcome on this!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #26
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

The latest fix seems to be working. After being in the shop for 4 days (and putting 80 miles on the car ) BMW replaced the 'amplifier for the antenna' which was apparently faulty thus loosing the audio connection.

This explanation does not makes sense to be because the audio would cut off while using Bluetooth often, which as far as I know, doesn't use the antenna.

Fingers crossed this will be the fix that finally solves the issues.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
Appreciate 1
Fr3sh29.50
      10-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #27
skyjumper
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive

This started happening to my car a few days ago, when we got intense rain. I have a convertible (2017 44i x drive). I start the car, get the "No warning tones" message an then no audio at all. I can choose a satellite or FM station, but I get a message that says "no active entertainment source."

I have an appointment at the dealer Monday. Fortunately I'm still under warranty.

OP, has this issue been fixed correctly by the antenna thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #28
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive

I have a 2014 428ix and this has been happening while driving... the screen would black out and then restart and the n black out again... but this would happen like every few months
2014 428i xDrive F32 | Injen Cai | Er Intercooler | Er Chargepipe | Er Tic Pipe | Er Catless Downpipe | Bm3 - Cary Jordan tuned 93 oct | Gfb Dv | Ngk L/I Spark Plugs | Cf High Kick Trunk Spoiler v1 | Black Grilles | 35% Suntek Tints | Michelin pss4 | Awe Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe | Interior Mods | Mst Turbo Inlet | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Arp rod bolts | Fuel-it Stage 2 Lpfp | Braum Elite x seats | Mishimoto Oil-catch can |
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
skyjumper
Private
Rep

I took the car in yesterday, got it back today. They replaced the head unit. It worked for the ride home, and it happened to be raining heavily. The new head unit seems different, subtle little changes in nav and such I can't quite put my finger on. I need to check the software version...

And now I have software version S, which I'm told is super new. I'll have to wait a while for a car play hack, which is fine.

Last edited by skyjumper; 11-06-2019 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #30
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My cautious optimism was ill placed.

The audio started cutting off again with 'no warning tones' appearing on the iDrive a couple of days ago after about a 10-day run with no issues.

Here's what has (supposedly) be done to fix the issue, to no avail:
  • Replaced amp
  • Replaced head unit
  • Updated software
  • Replaced antennae amplifier

I will be dropping the car back off at the dealer later this month for them to try once again.

This is super frustrating but I refuse to live with this issue and for as long as the car is under warranty, I'll be returning it until they get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #31
skyjumper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
This is super frustrating but I refuse to live with this issue and for as long as the car is under warranty, I'll be returning it until they get it fixed.
If an issue is reported and worked on before the warranty expires, can a warranty claim still be made after expiration if they didn't fix it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #32
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
If an issue is reported and worked on before the warranty expires, can a warranty claim still be made after expiration if they didn't fix it?
I suspect so, but I will be getting something in writing when that time comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #33
SDM78
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xdrive

I'm also having the same issue but have some additional issues (listed below) so would be curious to see where this gets to given I'm well out of warranty and would rather not pay for diagnostics and new amps etc if that isn't going to fix it!

1. The sound cut out and then starts again on audio sources including radio and bluetooth. This then changed to cutting out the media altogether and has today changed to presenting the media but no sound.
2. On the heads up display it has removed everything other than the speed limit display - no directions, no media selection view etc
3. On the navigation it has stopped displaying the active route but does display the ETA and is indicating that RTTI is in place
4. The clock time on the navigation has stopped changing even though it does on the dashboard
5. No bluetooth phone option

I have been having some battery issues so am looking into that as an option but first stop is updating the software... which failed

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure

Last edited by SDM78; 11-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #34
SDM78
United Kingdom
Rep

Diagnosis now completed on the issue. Turns out that the amp has water damage from having been sat in a puddle of the stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #35
skyjumper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM78 View Post
Diagnosis now completed on the issue. Turns out that the amp has water damage from having been sat in a puddle of the stuff!
Hopefully its fixed for good!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #36
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update:

The car is at the dealership and BMW brought in the 'market area engineer' to help with this recurring issue.

They will be installing a new instrument cluster. When I asked what that had to do with the audio cutting off and "no warning tones" appearing on the iDrive, the service advisor said that the instrument cluster is part of the 'MOST bus' system and apparently the only thing that hasn't been replaced on that system thus far.

I'm not feeling good about this fixing the actual problem, but only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #37
SDM78
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Hopefully its fixed for good!
Not even close. They guy that diagnosed it couldn't fix it so it's sat in my garage whilst I work out best thing to do. It seems I've got three options;

1. Replace it with a new one - initial quote is £1,300!
2. Replace it with a second hand one which will be somewhere between £450 - £550 for the unit plus fitting... I'm not sure this is something I can do myself given the coding aspect and I'm also trying to figure out why there appear to be many different product codes for this. Mine is a 9 330 057 but I'm seeing ones listed as 9 390 140 / 9 390 142 / 9 393 194 / 9 393 182. If anyone has any insight since google isn't shedding any light it would be gratefully accepted
3. Find somewhere that fixes them and hope it's not beyond repair... cost to be confirmed

First things first though - I need to work out where the water came in so if doesn't happen again!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #38
msquaredF33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i

I had exact issue. The factory amp is insanely expensive! See my thread for a half price solution that has lots more power, sounds better, and enabled me to fit a true subwoofer.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1569393
Appreciate 1
SDM780.00
      11-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #39
SDM78
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredF33 View Post
I had exact issue. The factory amp is insanely expensive! See my thread for a half price solution that has lots more power, sounds better, and enabled me to fit a true subwoofer.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1569393
Very impressed! I think a little beyond my skillset though...

Looks like it's going to be the second hand ebay option. I've had a quote from Munich Legends in East Sussex for a couple of hundred quid to diagnose the water egress, sort it and then fix up the amp with coding.

Only issue now is that the HUD navigation has disappeared again along with the clock time on the pro media display

As much as I love my car... I hate my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #40
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update (Problem Solved):

Nearly 2-weeks after installing the new instrument cluster I have not had a single issue with the audio cutting off and 'no warning tones' appearing on the iDrive!

Looks like the issue resided in the fiber optic 'MOST bus' system. The only thing that hasn't been replaced on that system was the instrument cluster so apparently that was were the problem resided.

Super happy that after one full year of dealing with this problem the market area engineer finally seemed to have solved the issue!! And because the car is under warranty, it was at zero cost to me.

Last edited by SmoothStyle1; 12-04-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #41
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I found this thread researching a problem I was having- no warning tones and no audio. It's this stupid sensor.
Attached Images

05-14-2021, 02:29 AM   #42
Trossuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430i

BMW blames bizare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
I'm stalking this thread, interested to see the real cause, can't believe bmw hire idiots who blame this on old ipod...
When my 430i had a vampire drain on the battery the technician said it was “non bmw dash cam fitted”. If he’d bothered to look he would have seen it wasn’t plugged in! Oops....£1400 later and two more trips they swapped out the telematics unit. Not my dash cam then I said....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #43
LOCKER28
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I found this thread researching a problem I was having- no warning tones and no audio. It's this stupid sensor.
What sensor is this?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #44
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCKER28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
What sensor is this?
Drivers side footwell fiber optic loop. It just looks like a plug in the detachable cover on the bottom part of the dashboard.