F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Members Classifieds > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons > Beware of what you buy

04-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If anyone wants to see the Google cache version of the page:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...%3Ft%3D1584292

A link to the user page:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=363886

Also an image for posterity:
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #24
ProjectBoost
Mod addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black AWD N55

Maybe the R avatar is for rusty. lol
      04-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #25
AK415
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Do you happen to remember his plate? You may be able to hold him for some legal responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #26
Cire22
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i m sport

Ban that guy
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:44 AM   #27
F30dud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 340 msport

i always use American Express to avoid situations like this
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #28
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 Competition

In that case, here is our conversation about the rust:

Me:We finally had a warm day today so I went to install the JB4. I am getting lots hesitation and knock. I opened the case and found a lot of rust on the case and the motherboard.
Did you have issues with it? And did you forget to give me

Socalf30: i had some hesitation at times, but I never inspected for rust and never thought how that could even happen being secured under the hood and that it doesn't rain here. I got rid of it because I'm moving to Miami in June and will probably be selling my car, so I didn't need it. Maybe if you contact BMS they could help? I 100% gave you all the cords that it came with so no issue there

Me: I have been in touch with Burger who confirmed that the board is likely fried. I have to pay them $175 and shipping to get it replaced. I think to be fair we should split that $175 half and half. Let me know. ThanksP.S. I can forward you the email chain

Me - 4 days later since I had no response to the earlier email : I am following up on last message to you. I don't believe you sold me a bad part on purpose, but the fact is that the JB4 is heavily damaged and at the very least the board needs to be replaced. I am hoping that you will do the right thing and at the very least split the cost of this with me.Can you let me know?

Socalf30: Hey I sincerely apologize that the Jb4 was defective, I did not know that it was. That being said, you bought it for $250, if I split the cost that means I sold it to you at $163 for something I bought for $500 a year ago. I had it listed at $350 and you offered $200, you lowballed me and I sold at $250. If you bought it at list price I would help you out but I had no idea it was like that and I wish you had opened it and saw what I didn't know. Still getting a brand new JB4 for cheap with their offer.

Me: With all due respect, if you check the from you will see that I have not low balled you. $250 and lower is the price they are going for. It takes only several minutes of search to see this.I bought the unit on good faith that it was in good working condition and working. What I bought was a defective unit. Which at this point is not worth anything. By your argument if I return the item to you, you should have no issues giving my $250 back.As you can see I haven't asked for my money back to send you a unit that works. I have asked for something that is more than fair.

Socalf30: Out of all the listings they are listed from $300+, I don't see any but one that is lower than that.My argument was that I wished that you opened the case and showed me, for all I know, you had a jb4 blow and bought mine and want to scam money. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you didn't do that, but at the same time I didn't know it's defective nature you say it's in. My advice is if you don't want any type of these issues, buy the one from their site for $550 with tax and shipping

Me: i can provide you with a list of ones that went for less than $250 or $250. As you say you are giving me the benefit of a doubt. On the other hand I have given you the benefit of a doubt as well that you didn't know your unit was defective even thought it was rusted and definitely defective. As you know I did leave that same morning we met, and I was in a rush. And I trusted that when you said the unit was like new and in good working condition.
I am guessing that the bottom line is that you are saying tough luck. You should have checked the unit throughly when you bought it. And while that would have shown there was rust damage, there really is no way to visually test eletronics by just looking at it. It has to be plugged in and tested with power to ensure it functions. So I could have bought something from you that looked ok and didn't function. For example due to static electricity

Socalf30: Look man I don't know what to tell you besides that I am sorry that it was defective. If I was you and opened it and it looked like that I wouldn't have bought it. I had no idea that the inside was burnt like that, but at the end of the day you still get a JB4 for cheap. Either end of the deal you win, with other JB4 they could ship it to you without the board and delete their account then you're really without anything. So while I apologize for this dilemma, just buy straight from the source with anything other than pipes

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #29
rezadue
Canada
Rep

[we met in a coffee shop so I didn't get his license plate. QUOTE=AK415;24648865]Do you happen to remember his plate? You may be able to hold him for some legal responsibility.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #30
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
[we met in a coffee shop so I didn't get his license plate. QUOTE=AK415;24648865]Do you happen to remember his plate? You may be able to hold him for some legal responsibility.
[/QUOTE]
not likley, most private party purchases are buyer beware (depending on state of course). and you would have to prove he knew it was damaged and still sold it to you. again.. it sucks, but on the bright side, your only out $75+ shipping of his original asking price, which is still less than a new unit.. sometimes gotta look at the glass half full
      04-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #31
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Actually I paid him $250 and then spend $175 on a replacement board and $25 for shipping. So I have spent $450 on something that may still not work if the harness is screwed up. That is only $25 over the price of a new unit which has a warranty.

not likley, most private party purchases are buyer beware (depending on state of course). and you would have to prove he knew it was damaged and still sold it to you. again.. it sucks, but on the bright side, your only out $75+ shipping of his original asking price, which is still less than a new unit.. sometimes gotta look at the glass half full [/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #32
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually I paid him $250 and then spend $175 on a replacement board and $25 for shipping. So I have spent $450 on something that may still not work if the harness is screwed up. That is only $25 over the price of a new unit which has a warranty.

not likley, most private party purchases are buyer beware (depending on state of course). and you would have to prove he knew it was damaged and still sold it to you. again.. it sucks, but on the bright side, your only out $75+ shipping of his original asking price, which is still less than a new unit.. sometimes gotta look at the glass half full
[/QUOTE]
gotcha, it's too early to do math.. in my head I was thinking 375, not 425.. all you can really do at this point is make future potential buyers aware, doesn't look like he is going to help you out. it is wierd that he said he experienced hesitation, so he probly took the jb4 out, hesitation went away so he decided to sell it. he either thought the problem was the jb4 or how his car was responding to it. but he knew their was a problem somewhere. I also don't see that much rust developing that quick in a ziplock bag, are these jb4 water tight sealed? maybe it was mounted in a spot that got rain/water from a car wash in it..
      04-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #33
Tpriest7893
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55

At that point you could of bought bm3! For what your spending. Dude should just give you money back and pay his own money to get it fixed and then sell it. That's fair
      04-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
F30dud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 340 msport

Honestly, its a shitty situation but the OP should have checked. You can clearly see the rust if you look at the unit, and inspect it.. BUT maybe it wasn't visible at the connections, unless opened, which in that case i understand, and will point out again, to pay with a CC via Paypal for goods. Stay protected.

I remember once i got burned with something local, because I DIDNT CHECK THE ITEM. And that's kind on me or whoever is buying, you gotta always check the product, etc.

Now all you guys jump on the bandwagon, and play detective, no one cares about $250 really...and you can't do anything legal, because the seller gave you the opportunity to inspect the item..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #35
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5

The guy said multiple times that he didn't know rust was in it. With the amount of people saying their JB4 is touchy and hesitates from time to time, I wouldn't inspect it either and just assume I had the same problems as other users. And if you're trying to rip people off, you don't meet up and let them inspect the product first. I've had people plug in electronic parts before sale just to make sure it all fits and operates. You should have checked it more.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

How is this the sellers fault?? What, he was supposed to open up the unit and see if it was rusted out and completely destroyed? Is that like a common thing to check for with these Garbage JB4 shit devices?

If anything this is just further evidence that JB4 is cancer. Why are you even buying a new board for this junk box?

Why are people buying these things? Why would anyone buy a used piece of junk JB4 and connect that cancer into their car? You can afford a nice car like an f30 but you feel the need to save $100 buying a used JB4.... why would anyone even buy a new JB4 at this point, do these dumb people not realize how trash JB4 is and know that flash tunes are available for the same cost as a new JB4 (MHD) or a few hundred more for BM3?

Also.... OP you do realize that the JB4 most likely (lets just assume it will because it happens so often) will fry the ground connection to the TMAP sensor as well so be prepared to do the hack job fix associated with that as soon as you realize that JB4 is shitty and you remove the cancer box from your car and try to sell this crappy unit with a new board to some other dumb dumb in a couple months here on this forum.

04-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #37
brigade24
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 Sportline with X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
How is this the sellers fault?? What, he was supposed to open up the unit and see if it was rusted out and completely destroyed? Is that like a common thing to check for with these Garbage JB4 shit devices?

If anything this is just further evidence that JB4 is cancer. Why are you even buying a new board for this junk box?

Why are people buying these things? Why would anyone buy a used piece of junk JB4 and connect that cancer into their car? You can afford a nice car like an f30 but you feel the need to save $100 buying a used JB4.... why would anyone even buy a new JB4 at this point, do these dumb people not realize how trash JB4 is and know that flash tunes are available for the same cost as a new JB4 (MHD) or a few hundred more for BM3?

Also.... OP you do realize that the JB4 most likely (lets just assume it will because it happens so often) will fry the ground connection to the TMAP sensor as well so be prepared to do the hack job fix associated with that as soon as you realize that JB4 is shitty and you remove the cancer box from your car and try to sell this crappy unit with a new board to some other dumb dumb in a couple months here on this forum.
Bad experience with the JB4? Granted, you are certainly not wrong, not sure how this is going to help the buyer...

easy power is an intoxicant that blinds good judgement in all of us every now and again. Perhaps the buyer had a moment...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #38
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post

People use JB4 for back end meth. I had a jb4 for awhile and it was a nice little addition but have sold and moving to bm3.
Guy who bought mine from the forums is using it for that exact purpose, yes its not the best option when it even comes to back end safety but its far cheaper.
Also, idk how people fry their TMAP sensor, as i have installed and removed it 10 times without any issue.

Last edited by TheShadow; 04-15-2019 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #39
rezadue
Canada
Rep

I assume he is referring to people who have installed theirs without disconnecting the battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
People use JB4 for back end meth. I had a jb4 for awhile and it was a nice little addition but have sold and moving to bm3.
Guy who bought mine from the forums is using it for that exact purpose, yes its not the best option when it even comes to back end safety but its far cheaper.
Also, idk how people fry their TMAP sensor, as i have installed and removed it 10 times without any issue.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #40
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30dud View Post
Honestly, its a shitty situation but the OP should have checked. You can clearly see the rust if you look at the unit, and inspect it.. BUT maybe it wasn't visible at the connections, unless opened, which in that case i understand, and will point out again, to pay with a CC via Paypal for goods. Stay protected.

To address the two points raised here:

1) Connections did not look rusted out and everything looked tip top on the outside. And you are right, in that I should not have trusted the seller. We did exchange a number of messages before and he mentioned he was the original owner, had it for less than a year, was in like new shape, no problems with it, and since he lived in California and the unit is illegal in California, he had his friend ship it to him.

2) It is the seller's fault IF he knew something was wrong with the unit and didn't disclose it. And it is the seller's moral obligation to make it right if he unknowingly sold a bad item. As I mentioned to him, I could have bought a perfectly mint looking product inside and out only to find it not working due to an invisible defect such as static electricity.

3) As you see, even though the unit was bad (And I have my suspicion about the fact that the seller knew it didn't function well), I didn't ask for my money back. All I asked for was a 50:50 split on the replacement board cost.

4) The amount of rust in the unit and the pattern suggests water collected in one corner of the unit and was there for a long time. It is easy to imagine how this might happen when the small plastic plug which normally blocks the USB cable opening was not there (and he did not have a USB cable).

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #41
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

moral obligation? no such thing, sorry.. he might "morally" feel bad, but looks like not bad enough to split the cost. and just to look at it from his stand point, how does he know someone isn't trying to pull a fast one with a JB4 they already had? it's a big leap just for a discount on a new board, just saying.. and not to be rude, cuz I am kind of on your side in this seeing as how much rust was in the unit in so little time, but all the time and effort you put into this thread is probly worth more than the 50% your asking him for.. its the principal, I get it...
      04-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #42
rezadue
Canada
Rep

I understand what you are saying.

I did order a replacement board which arrived yesterday evening. I am hoping to install it in the next few days.In the beginning, I did not use the seller's name as all I wanted to point out was what could go wrong.

I guess I would have done something about it if I had sold a bum piece of equipment. And as you said, that doesn't oblige him to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
moral obligation? no such thing, sorry.. he might "morally" feel bad, but looks like not bad enough to split the cost. and just to look at it from his stand point, how does he know someone isn't trying to pull a fast one with a JB4 they already had? it's a big leap just for a discount on a new board, just saying.. and not to be rude, cuz I am kind of on your side in this seeing as how much rust was in the unit in so little time, but all the time and effort you put into this thread is probly worth more than the 50% your asking him for.. its the principal, I get it...

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #43
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you are saying.

I did order a replacement board which arrived yesterday evening. I am hoping to install it in the next few days.In the beginning, I did not use the seller's name as all I wanted to point out was what could go wrong.

I guess I would have done something about it if I had sold a bum piece of equipment. And as you said, that doesn't oblige him to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
well, at least you got the point of the thread across, and hopefully future parties will be more careful of what they buy from a private sale. and now you got the board, so you can install and enjoy.
      04-16-2019, 07:43 PM   #44
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Installed the JB4 with the new board and everything appears to be working fine. No issues.

It was definitely a bad board. Lesson learned not to trust anyone.

Appreciate 0