F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
GetBMWParts

10-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #661
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Indeed, would not recommend buying from Coika.

I installed 2.8.3 but it has made no difference to the audio. I figured I'd just give up on the Android audio and use the original car bluetooth audio for music because the sat nav will inject over the top of it for directions, however, I tested this and whilst the sat nav will inject over the car radio, it does not inject over car bluetooth :-( So frustrating!

Likely to just return the unit to Coika now and re-assess.
I have bought from coika as well. No issues with sound or getting updates. Which one did you buy? Maybe I can cross reference some stuff for you on my unit.

I got this exact update from them (https://mega.nz/#!HE4S0KRS!OaAFeLvbE2h83ba70uCb8mzdKKcmM3WGrUnl8Uk 7NGo) which is for the snapdragon 4gb/64gb version. Bear in mind that I just got it today and have not installed it yet. Does anybody here know the last MCU version for these units? Is there a list from old to new? Or a way to check if mine is indeed the latest?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #662
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
I have bought from coika as well. No issues with sound or getting updates. Which one did you buy? Maybe I can cross reference some stuff for you on my unit.

I got this exact update from them (https://mega.nz/#!HE4S0KRS!OaAFeLvbE...3WGrUnl8Uk7NGo) which is for the snapdragon 4gb/64gb version. Bear in mind that I just got it today and have not installed it yet. Does anybody here know the last MCU version for these units? Is there a list from old to new? Or a way to check if mine is indeed the latest?
Thank you for sharing, this is the same 2.8.3 update.
I also got 2.8.3 sent again from my vendor today, it seems this is now the latest overall software version.

I also startet working on that MCU stuff, but wasn`t able to uncrypt the binary yet with free/open source tools.
I don`t have access to IDA Pro, an honestly also don`t want to use a paid only software for this.
I hop that there is some kind of version numbering within that files to generate a database with updates.
but i`m quiet busy already with all that other stuff and work, it seems here are not alot other people who have the time/skills to work on such things ?

Have you also got an MCU update for your unit ?

Chri
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #663
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Thank you for sharing, this is the same 2.8.3 update.
I also got 2.8.3 sent again from my vendor today, it seems this is now the latest overall software version.

I also startet working on that MCU stuff, but wasn`t able to uncrypt the binary yet with free/open source tools.
I don`t have access to IDA Pro, an honestly also don`t want to use a paid only software for this.
I hop that there is some kind of version numbering within that files to generate a database with updates.
but i`m quiet busy already with all that other stuff and work, it seems here are not alot other people who have the time/skills to work on such things ?

Have you also got an MCU update for your unit ?

Chri
No, I got told I already got the last one. To me it seems there is a date stamp in the file name 190718 (yymmdd) but that can be just a coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #664
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Indeed, would not recommend buying from Coika.

I installed 2.8.3 but it has made no difference to the audio. I figured I'd just give up on the Android audio and use the original car bluetooth audio for music because the sat nav will inject over the top of it for directions, however, I tested this and whilst the sat nav will inject over the car radio, it does not inject over car bluetooth :-( So frustrating!

Likely to just return the unit to Coika now and re-assess.
If you installed the firmware from the link in this thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=547 , you installed the Coikas firmware
Appreciate 1
mrsimes18.00
      10-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #665
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

I also ordered from Coika, based on best pre-sale communication. Not perfect by any means, but still better than the 3-4 other sellers I contacted. Responsiveness after-sale has also been good enough. I got the 2.8.3 update just hours after requesting it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #666
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

As you get software updates, it would be great to also ask the vendors for MCU Updates so we can start a database

When providing them, please add the following information:
* Your Car Type , production month/year
* Navigation System (CIC/NBT/NBTEvo)
* MCU ver: complete string, not only the date
* CAN Protocol: which you have selected [1-4], since the last update there are four options
* which Vendor/Seller

Chri

Last edited by Kri; 10-17-2019 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #667
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can anyone get their "ok google" function to work with the Google assistent app? Voice activation is disabled for me.

Also, did anyone install a custom car launcher? Not a big fan of the huge tiles with functions I never use, rather have a customizable one. Only thing I wonder is, how do you switch between launchers and do the default apps still work (settings app, reverse camera,.. ) those are not selectable in the apps menu by default.

And last question, how can I access the Bluetooth settings for the device? I only have the useless interface from the unit itself, but the Android Bluetooth settings menu is empty.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #668
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Can anyone get their "ok google" function to work with the Google assistent app? Voice activation is disabled for me.
Had it already running once,it sometimes caused the system to crash, but have not time at the moment to do it again and make a guide.

Quote:
Also, did anyone install a custom car launcher? Not a big fan of the huge tiles with functions I never use, rather have a customizable one. Only thing I wonder is, how do you switch between launchers and do the default apps still work (settings app, reverse camera,.. ) those are not selectable in the apps menu by default.
You can normally install and change to a different Launcher like on a normal smartphone.

Quote:
And last question, how can I access the Bluetooth settings for the device? I only have the useless interface from the unit itself, but the Android Bluetooth settings menu is empty.
Nop, It seems the chinese have replaced the whole BT-stack with their own BT ugly App, for the moment it`s not possible to change anything.

Chri
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #669
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Quote:

Got working ok google. Wouldn't recommend it because of the crash problem. It is annoying when it crash so bad, you only got a black screen on android untill you turn of the car long enough to get it rebooted.

Also i use the Nova Launcher. Just install it, press HOME and it will ask which Launcher you want to go back to. Select your new Launcher and press on "use always" Everything else still works. I got a Icon to the original launcher so i can quickly open it if i need something, ooooooor to make it not so obvious that i use a different HU.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #670
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
Got working ok google. Wouldn't recommend it because of the crash problem. It is annoying when it crash so bad, you only got a black screen on android untill you turn of the car long enough to get it rebooted.

Also i use the Nova Launcher. Just install it, press HOME and it will ask which Launcher you want to go back to. Select your new Launcher and press on "use always" Everything else still works. I got a Icon to the original launcher so i can quickly open it if i need something, ooooooor to make it not so obvious that i use a different HU.
Thanks for the info, do the steering wheel controls/idrive controlls still work when using a different launcher?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #671
murzik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550ix

Quote:

settings menu is empty.
I have it working.
Download google play service fix from play store. Use that application to update google play service to latest version.
Make sure that you have google installed.
Go into settings- application. Find google, clear cache and data.
Start google - go into voice settings, enable voice match.
" OK Google" should work after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #672
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Quote:
Thanks for the info, do the steering wheel controls/idrive controlls still work when using a different launcher?
mostly no. Steering wheel controls (changing song / pause / resume) works fine, even when it says no control in aux mode. It is still piped to the android system.
IDrive Controls doesn't work since they are implemented into the main launcher. Someone who understands android apps better, could take a look and MAYBE it could be possible to pipe it as keyboard commands with an extra app. But that is just a theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murzik View Post
I have it working.
Download google play service fix from play store. Use that application to update google play service to latest version.
Make sure that you have google installed.
Go into settings- application. Find google, clear cache and data.
Start google - go into voice settings, enable voice match.
" OK Google" should work after that.
Sounds why more complicated than i did it. I just logged into my gmail account, updated all google apps which where marked as "have update" and installed the google assistend. Since i already got my voice configured through my phone it worked without doing more.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #673
curlpost
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite View Post
Finally figured out how my unit is playing from aux directly, without having to plug in.

I have an e92 with MUL2-Hi. As mentioned earlier, in some cases aux is sent to the MULF then through MOST to head unit. If I plug laptop in and code the aux in the mulf module to "nicht_activ" the aux control seems to be switched back to the head unit.

I just re-pinned the aux-in armrest cable into the B connector in the headunit quadlock and I can still use the armrest aux if needed and the andoid unit doesn't need plugging in!

On a side note - do these units have a mic built in? I disconnected my OEM microphone and it could still detect when I said "OK Google"

Hi!

I have an E92 with MULF2-HIGH. Without screen.
What I need to coding to avoid using the cable in the armrest?
I have Android 9 Snapdragon 4G.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 02:30 AM   #674
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That's good to hear that you're getting a better service from them. I've got the F11 CIC model. All they keep telling me is that it's normal for the audio quality to be poor because it has to use the car Aux-In.

So yesterday I pulled out the aux fly lead from the audio out on the harness and plugged my kindle in there. Audio out from the kindle into Aux-In using the same lead is perfect - crystal clear. I then plugged a pair of headphones into the audio out on the android harness and listened to audio from android - you can hear the distortion through the headphones.

It seems that the audio output level is too high, not the volume, but the output. It sounds like everything is on overdrive/fuzz. With headphones plugged in, I've tried changing the media volume in android, but that just makes it louder or quieter, it doesn't change the level. I'm wondering if there's a daemon or app running that's doing some kind of default equalisation that I can't see.... or it's just bad hardware!

If I try a PX6 unit will I lose any functionality? Does it also inject sat nav audio and do the same stuff underneath with idrive (ie lock it into split screen) etc.

Last edited by mrsimes; 10-16-2019 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #675
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoface View Post
Can we organize kind of group order for touchpad? Someone wrote that factory will produce more units for minimum order of 200 pieces. I suppose we could get 200 people interested.
Regarding the touchpad. I've googled the product and tried to contact all sellers that appeared in search results. I haven't got any response (email, skype, etc.) so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #676
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
mostly no. Steering wheel controls (changing song / pause / resume) works fine, even when it says no control in aux mode. It is still piped to the android system.
IDrive Controls doesn't work since they are implemented into the main launcher. Someone who understands android apps better, could take a look and MAYBE it could be possible to pipe it as keyboard commands with an extra app. But that is just a theory.
Hello,

You can have the IDrive controls to work in any apps but it required some skills.

When you make an action with the Idrive (rotate, click, etc...) it sends an android broadcast to the unit. You just have to intecerpet this broadcast and assign a function to it.

For example I'm using the custom launcher called "CarWebGuru Launcher". I can swipe between the different screens by faking a swipe when I rotate the Idrive.
I also can play/pause the current song when clicking the Idrive. Last I can play next song by right pushing the Idrive.

The broadcast action to intercept is :

com.choiceway.eventcenter.EventUtils.ZXW_ORIGINAL_ MCU_KEY_FOCUS_MOVE_EVT

The broadcast sends an integer corresponding to the control pressed :

2 = Right pushing
8 = Rotate right
7 = Rotate left
5 = Idrive click

In my case I've used the application "Automate" to listen to these broadcast and call the android functions.

It also can be done using Tasker or directly by creating an apk.

I hope it helps someones..

Sorry for my english.
Appreciate 4
Kri1083.50
twoface52.50
      10-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #677
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post

2 = Right pushing
8 = Rotate right
7 = Rotate left
5 = Idrive click
Thank you so much for this!
I was searching through the code of KswLauncher and found all sorts of listeners but never the source for the event. I fully expected broadcasts but I am still waiting for my unit to arrive so I couldn't check.
With this I will save myself a lot of time. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #678
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Thank you so much for this!
I was searching through the code of KswLauncher and found all sorts of listeners but never the source for the event. I fully expected broadcasts but I am still waiting for my unit to arrive so I couldn't check.
With this I will save myself a lot of time. Thanks again!
You're welcome :-)

Another thing that can interest you. If you send the following action it will switch to the original BMW display :

com.szchoiceway.eventcenter.EventUtils.ACTION_SWIT CH_ORIGINACAR

I made a small apk that sends that action so I can use it as a shortcut in a custom launcher.
Appreciate 3
      10-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #679
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

You can have the IDrive controls to work in any apps but it required some skills.

When you make an action with the Idrive (rotate, click, etc...) it sends an android broadcast to the unit. You just have to intecerpet this broadcast and assign a function to it.

For example I'm using the custom launcher called "CarWebGuru Launcher". I can swipe between the different screens by faking a swipe when I rotate the Idrive.
I also can play/pause the current song when clicking the Idrive. Last I can play next song by right pushing the Idrive.

2 = Right pushing
8 = Rotate right
7 = Rotate left
5 = Idrive click

In my case I've used the application "Automate" to listen to these broadcast and call the android functions.

It also can be done using Tasker or directly by creating an apk.

I hope it helps someones..

Sorry for my english.
That sounds really awsome
Would it be possible to upload a flowchart for us ? this way it would be easier for us to start with own script.

maybe we then can make a database (at github) with ready made Flowcharts

Chri
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #680
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
That sounds really awsome
Would it be possible to upload a flowchart for us ? this way it would be easier for us to start with own script.

maybe we then can make a database (at github) with ready made Flowcharts

Chri
For sure I can upload my flow.

Your idea of a centralized database is good.

I'm currently trying to interact with the dimming but I would need some infos from __fred__ but he doesn't seems to be here anymore...

I will upload my flow later today.

Last edited by RaceX58; 10-16-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #681
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
You're welcome :-)

Another thing that can interest you. If you send the following action it will switch to the original BMW display :

com.szchoiceway.eventcenter.EventUtils.ACTION_SWIT CH_ORIGINACAR

I made a small apk that sends that action so I can use it as a shortcut in a custom launcher.
You are correct, very interesting for me indeed!
I will also build myself something that reacts on these broadcasts and send the respective KeyEvents to the system. Not sure yet in what way though (own apk, Tasker, etc...).
And, of course, my unit needs to arrive ^^

Last edited by Firefly1337; 10-16-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #682
RaceX58
Rep

Guys,

You will find my flow at this link in the apps folder :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2K_rtRS0Q_soKd

I also share the apk I made to switch to the original display. Feel free to use it.

RaceX58
Appreciate 4
Kri1083.50
Frankly30137.00
Stainy265.00