F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What options do I have for ECU tuning a 2019 440i Gran Coupe Xdrive?
GetBMWParts

03-14-2022, 02:34 AM   #23
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Post mortem for the BM3 Mod. AVOID.

The power is good and exhaust sound was great. But, after about 6 months, I got some error messages on the dash and battery warnings. Took it to the dealership (didn't tell them I had a tune on it obviously). They said they discovered lots of oil and gas mixing in the cylinders, reset the car back to factory (removing the tune), and handing the car back to me.

I didn't bother putting the tune back on. The car drove fine for about another year, and then suddenly, I heard a loud noise and a pressure vessel losing pressure in the car with the AC immediately turning hot.

Took it to the dealership, they told me the engine belt had "melted" and on its way out it basically destroyed the AC compressor and parts of the water pump. Cost about 7K to fix and voided the vehicles warranty.

Absolutely would not recommend this tune, or any other for the simple fact that even an extra 60-70 bhp with no modification to the drivetrain can cause this sort of thing.

PS: Only ever did 1 track day with this car and it was in the wet.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the tune caused it.
I ran E30 BM3/stage2+ for a year and then switched to MHD E40/stage 2+ for about a year as well.
So far no problems.

I have over 60k miles on the engine (B58) and purchased the car when it only had 40k miles.
A good amount of tuned miles have been put on the transmission (xhp stage 3) and engine. So far everything is doing well.

I understand putting the blame on your most recent upgrade causing the problem. Many people here have/are running tuned cars and are doing just fine
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 02:48 AM   #24
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Post mortem for the BM3 Mod. AVOID.

The power is good and exhaust sound was great. But, after about 6 months, I got some error messages on the dash and battery warnings. Took it to the dealership (didn't tell them I had a tune on it obviously). They said they discovered lots of oil and gas mixing in the cylinders, reset the car back to factory (removing the tune), and handing the car back to me.

I didn't bother putting the tune back on. The car drove fine for about another year, and then suddenly, I heard a loud noise and a pressure vessel losing pressure in the car with the AC immediately turning hot.

Took it to the dealership, they told me the engine belt had "melted" and on its way out it basically destroyed the AC compressor and parts of the water pump. Cost about 7K to fix and voided the vehicles warranty.

Absolutely would not recommend this tune, or any other for the simple fact that even an extra 60-70 bhp with no modification to the drivetrain can cause this sort of thing.

PS: Only ever did 1 track day with this car and it was in the wet.
I don't get the link between the tune and the belt? Was it the first belt? Wow many miles?
      03-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #25
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

Yes, first belt. Less than 10k miles.
Appreciate 0